• Fresh

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Frozen

Votes: 27 28.4%
  • Pancake (batter)

Votes: 13 13.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Sorry to be controversial. Yorkshire puddings should only be served with roast beef.

In the old days people had a Yorkshire pudding or a portion as it was cooked in a medium sized roasting tin. With gravy as to fill people so would need a smaller main course. Beef was very expensive

Frozen Aunt Bessie’s Yorkshire puddings are horrible.

About Aunt Bessie - how come they allowed to keep the Aunt but asked Uncle Ben to drop the Uncle.

Soldato
Sorry to be controversial. Yorkshire puddings should only be served with roast beef.

In the old days people had a Yorkshire pudding or a portion as it was cooked in a medium sized roasting tin. With gravy as to fill people so would need a smaller main course. Beef was very expensive

Frozen Aunt Bessie’s Yorkshire puddings are horrible.

About Aunt Bessie - how come they allowed to keep the Aunt but asked Uncle Ben to drop the Uncle.

I was chatting to the owner of a Street Food place yesterday (Chatham Dockyard) who was a born and bred Yorkshire woman from a showman family (she sells killer hotdogs btw) and the subject came up about Yorkies and I asked her if they are only for roast dinners, to which she replied "No of course not, they are for much more than that" and how she is the only member of her family that struggles to make them.
I told her about mine with a poached egg, sweet cure bacon and black pudding inside the Yorkie and got one of those nods of approval.

Caporegime
Aunt bessy, betsy or whatever frozen ones for me.

they do 2 sorts, one already risen and basically cooks in 3 minutes, or whats basically frozen batter mix that takes 25minutes to cook.

They both taste as good as own made to me.

Soldato
Did I pick the wrong option? I chose Pancake (batter) as I thought the Fresh option was for the pre cooked ones from the chiller cabinet :cry:

Anyway, find a good recipe you like then you can make any type, small or large. Not forgetting toad in the hole :D

Associate
I’ve got to agree that freshly made ones are far superior when done well. Before moving out here I would usually meet friends for Sunday dinner and a few pints and not make them that often but now it’s homemade or nothing (there are a couple of places here that do Sunday dinner but it’s a trek and they are not that great; I spent years in the UK tracking down the best Sunday dinner places, unfortunately ruining enjoying merely “good” places in the process ).
I have to agree with making the batter the night before, it makes for a much better Yorkie and for 5 minutes work the night before it helps make for a very laid back cooking session the next day.
After trying quite a few recipes I have actually settled on Kenji’s Series Eats one, it gives consistently excellent results that threaten to hit the ceiling of the oven; although it does feel weird an American coming out with the best one (he did spend time in the UK though when he was younger).
Kenji’s deep dive into it is well worth a read as he tries a lot of variables (a couple of shout outs to James Martin and Felicity Cloake too).

Permabanned
Freshly made are great but I don't mind frozen if I'm only cooking for myself and can't be arsed to make it fresh. They take 2 mins in the air fryer and cost about 50p for a dozen in most places. Handy to have in the freezer.

Associate
I have to admit if I’m just making for the four of us I would sometimes make a big batch (no extra effort) and freeze some for use later. Unfortunately the kids have become Sunday Dinner fiends and will insist on demolishing any spares so it’s only fresh nowadays. It’s grill season coming up in Germany though so less roasts and more BBQ/grilled food. People tend to have pretty high end kitchens here but some barely use them (cafeterias at work for warm lunches through the week and then on weekends they just grill in the warm months).

Soldato
When we do Toad-in-the-Hole at school we get premade yorkies in and slap the sosijes next to them. I've re-christened it Toad-Near-The-Hole...... lol
The best thing about toad in the hole is that the fat from the sausages makes the batter round them a bit more moist and savory... Mmmmmmm...

I Love big puffy fresh ones (Some carvery does great ones) but honestly those Aldi specialty ones are fantastic as well.

Soldato
cold, freshly made, yorkshires with jam, or, with a wide toaster, often cut them in half and reheat then butter and marmalade.

main thing is not opening the oven whilst they are cooking, or doing so slowly to avoid a thermal shock, plus having a ceramic/china pan with high heat capacity(sizzling oil)

Back
Top Bottom