YouFibre

Caporegime
One problem is they likely supplied you with the standard eero 6, not even the 6+. How far away are the cams from the eero and how many walls? The range is probably the problem where it's hovering around -90 dBm. The TalkTalk router will have better range than the single eero. The eero is designed for mesh to compensate for the lower range of individual units.

But seriously don't go back to FTTC. Just investing in a router that's around £60 would fix all your problems and have you with a way better internet connecton now and for the future. Something like a TP-Link Archer AX23 seems sensible for this scenario. Obviously it is your decision and I appreciate that you shouldn't have to then buy other stuff to get the service to work. At the very least I would order something like the AX23 to see if it actually fixes your problems. If it does fix everything consider keeping but if still problems then by all means go back and just send the AX23 back.

Says eero 6+

I guess I could get a standard router.

The issues last night were I was trying to view the cam. On my phone. And each time my phone would disconnect from the eero 6+.

Its very strange. I know isps always go on about letting things settle. No idea if that's BS or not. Willing to give it some time. But tbh, at the moment, I do prefer the old kit.

Ideally it will all get resolved as it seems like the connection to the eero is up to speed. So yeah. Maybe a better router is in order.

Also. I need a switch at least as the damn thing only has one ethernet port and I need 2

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not applicable to fibre, and as already stated a few times the issue you are facing is wifi, and not the fibre connection.

Everything seems to have settled down now.
My phone is at sitting in 5ghz and I'm not getting the drop outs I was before. I'm not clued up on networking enough to understand what's going on with the router. But I did get some info that the router mustn't be moved after placing as its learning? Again.. Maybe true. Maybe not.

But as of today I have none of the issues I had on day 1

Soldato
Everything seems to have settled down now.
My phone is at sitting in 5ghz and I'm not getting the drop outs I was before. I'm not clued up on networking enough to understand what's going on with the router. But I did get some info that the router mustn't be moved after placing as its learning? Again.. Maybe true. Maybe not.

But as of today I have none of the issues I had on day 1
Not saying something hasn't changed but the old "let it settle" and "needs time to learn" isn't relevant with fibre.
With Fibre you're connected initially at the fastest speed you're going to connect at and that's it - off you go.
ADSL/VDSL - this was different. You were connected at a particular speed and then, over the next few days, the line would settle - trying to ramp speeds up, watching for disconnections, scaling back down if they were detected. I remember having an up to 80mb that seemed to start its like at around 60 and by the end of the first week it had settled itself down ay 78.

Pleased everything is now sorted - alas there are a million and one things that could have caused your issues yesterday and, unfortunately, there is nothing to say they won't come back. But fingers crossed, all good now.

Caporegime
It's possible that the router has performed software updates and picked more sensible channels to use, so while this isn't "let it settle" in the way that rate adaptive services use the term, there can still be improvements that come in over a couple of days. The actual fibre connection itself though should be performing from day 1.

maj

maj

Soldato
Could be wrong but to me it feels that eero router is best paired in mesh. Doesn't seem to best the best for providing a solid connection unless you're using ethernet.

Caporegime
Eero is great on 5ghz and ethernet.
But that 2.4ghz is dire.

Hopefully chromecast 5ghz comes in post tomorrow so can see if that improves it.

Since first couple of days my S21Ultra has been on 5gz all time now.

Associate
Been awhile since I last asked. It was before the 8000 Mbps package was available so I wonder if they are keeping up with capacity as subscriber numbers grow. Can anyone with 500 Mbps or above do this test (on wired) and post the link please?

Thanks

Associate
I know isps always go on about letting things settle. No idea if that's BS or not. Willing to give it some time. But tbh, at the moment, I do prefer the old kit.
To echo others, my connection took about a week to settle.

I am not using the supplied kit, I never do.

Nem

Nem

Associate
Been awhile since I last asked. It was before the 8000 Mbps package was available so I wonder if they are keeping up with capacity as subscriber numbers grow. Can anyone with 500 Mbps or above do this test (on wired) and post the link please?

Thanks
I'm on 1Gb, but only on wifi, so not sure if this helps:

maj

maj

Soldato
This may be more of an Eero quesion rather than youfibre but thought I'd ask anyway.

For those still using the Eero are you happy with it? Running a speedtest I'm getting around 300mbps downstairs in same room as router and 250mbps upstairs on wifi on a 1gb package. Does that seem right? I'm hard wired to my pc where I'm getting full speed so there's nothing wrong with the fibre itself.

I'm guessing I'm tied down to Eero products when using their router so is their mesh worth considering to expand network? It looks like the only Eero product that has ethernet is their routers and I'd like to hard wire a second device upstairs to act as an AP rather than use an extender.

I was thinking of possible solutions if I wanted to improve coverage:

1) Replacing Eero with a different AX router on its own.
2) Replacing Eero with a different AX router and having an AP upstairs.
3) Buying a Eero router and put it upstairs acting as second node.

Associate
This may be more of an Eero quesion rather than youfibre but thought I'd ask anyway.

For those still using the Eero are you happy with it? Running a speedtest I'm getting around 300mbps downstairs in same room as router and 250mbps upstairs on wifi on a 1gb package. Does that seem right? I'm hard wired to my pc where I'm getting full speed so there's nothing wrong with the fibre itself.

I'm guessing I'm tied down to Eero products when using their router so is their mesh worth considering to expand network? It looks like the only Eero product that has ethernet is their routers and I'd like to hard wire a second device upstairs to act as an AP rather than use an extender.

I was thinking of possible solutions if I wanted to improve coverage:

1) Replacing Eero with a different AX router on its own.
2) Replacing Eero with a different AX router and having an AP upstairs.
3) Buying a Eero router and put it upstairs acting as second node.
I don't know if they still do it but you are not tied down to any particular router. The only requirement YouFibre has is you must have the same MAC address as the Eero for authentication (MAC cloning). Alternatively, you can contact them and give them the MAC of the router.

Last edited:
Reactions: maj
Soldato

Thanks

Associate
Hello all, first post here. Registered because of this thread and plans to move to YouFibre later this month (installation due on 25th). Read plenty of positive reviews for them so far, including here, and looking forward to moving over. Cancelled Virgin Media contract, which ended this month, and went for the £29.99 1gb package with YouFibre instead. I have a couple of questions ahead of them coming, although they're not deal breakers really.

I currently use a Deco M5 mesh system from TP-Link and was hoping to continue with them with YouFibre, is that possible? Current set up has the old, useless Virgin Media router in Modem mode and then the main Deco connected via ethernet and the other two nodes upstairs in the main bedroom and office. Would prefer to stick with this system given the cost of it and it's already been set up, plus I quite like it anyway, so wondering if there'll be any issues on that front?

Secondly, I use NordVPN on all my devices that'll have it. So laptops, computers, phones, streaming devices etc. I don't have it set up on the router but just the apps on devices and connecting that way. Will I still be able to use that on YouFibre or will it require changes? I've read various things in reviews about VPNS not working or needing the static IP address add-on to the account so I've ended up a little confused. Again, not a major issue if I need to do some things to make it work, I just like to be prepared!

Associate
I can never win with broadband I swear. So after some support rep last month told me it might be 2025 I was like ok I'll just go Openreach. I decided to check bidb yesterday one last time just to see and... YouFibre is now planned and my address got updated on Netomnia to "Coming Soon".

Email with Netomnia:

"we hope to connect your community by end of September 2024 with full fibre services, subject to change."

bidb site showed a neighboring town had YouFibre customer live and sure enough after checking that street you could order. September seems reasonable to a point I'm back waiting...

Soldato
I can never win with broadband I swear. So after some support rep last month told me it might be 2025 I was like ok I'll just go Openreach. I decided to check bidb yesterday one last time just to see and... YouFibre is now planned and my address got updated on Netomnia to "Coming Soon".

Email with Netomnia:

"we hope to connect your community by end of September 2024 with full fibre services, subject to change."

bidb site showed a neighboring town had YouFibre customer live and sure enough after checking that street you could order. September seems reasonable to a point I'm back waiting...
If you wait until your street is live there is a good chance you'll be doorstepped by YouFibre reps looking to sign you up. It'll work ton your favour having less time remaining on your existing contract.
They'll be eager to get you to sign and they should be able to buy you out your existing Openreach contract plus you should be able to haggle a discount too.

Associate
Just had a letter from Netomnia saying their build teams are working in the area, plus seen some vans laying fibre. Can't wait to get off this poor 50mb sky line and move to 1gb line for cheaper than what i am paying.
Is it only youfibre who provide on netomnia networks? I'm in scotland.

Back
Top Bottom