YouTube Premium

Caporegime
Still makes me rather just not watch videos and find something else, while I'll put up with ads at the start or on the page, etc. for the sake of creators.

Yeh, the rampant adverts every few minutes in the middle of a video now is just terrible. I've all but stopped bothering with Youtube because of it.

I didn't mind having a 5 second skippable advert at the start of a video, but adverts all the way through just kills it.

Last edited:
Associate
Tv has had unskippable ads forever. I honestly think YouTube premium is the best subscription I pay for
Except they invented PVRs about 25 years ago and I've been skipping TV ads ever since!

I have just finished a free month's trial of YouTube Premium (no idea why I got it, it just appeared one day) and it was nice to avoid the ads, but don't think I watch enough to justify £12.99 per month as I have no interest in YouTube music (I don't stream music) or the background playback stuff.

Last edited:

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Don't miss Premium. All you need is Ublock and remove ablock thing extensions.

So far so good. :) on my iPhone i use Brave Browser.

Soldato
Because dodgy sports streams are illegal in the UK whereas the Youtube VPN thing is just against their TOS and not actually illegal in the UK.

Think of it like Tax Evasion (illegal) vs Tax Avoidance (some of it might be considered "morally dubious" however its not illegal)

Hmmm depends, if I VPN into the Netherlands and then view there standard free channels I can see 3pm UK games.

I don't see any difference,

Associate
Had no idea you could do this!

Super easy, took me 10 mins about a month ago when I just got super frustrated with the damn ads every 5 mins watching some foreign TV shows on the LG OS youtube app with my wife. Got to the point it was ruining our enjoyment of the shows when at interesting moments it would just cut into an unskippable 1 min ad of some BS holiday package or whatever.

Instructions here:

You just make an LG Developer account on their website (free)
Download dev mode app on the TV and turn it on (a few clicks only)
Download the above program on your PC and connect to the TV
Boom you can now download and install ad free youtube.

Works flawlessly.

Soldato
Super easy, took me 10 mins about a month ago when I just got super frustrated with the damn ads every 5 mins watching some foreign TV shows on the LG OS youtube app with my wife. Got to the point it was ruining our enjoyment of the shows when at interesting moments it would just cut into an unskippable 1 min ad of some BS holiday package or whatever.

Instructions here:

You just make an LG Developer account on their website (free)
Download dev mode app on the TV and turn it on (a few clicks only)
Download the above program on your PC and connect to the TV
Boom you can now download and install ad free youtube.

Works flawlessly.

Thanks, unfortunately mine is a B7 2017 model, will have to see if there's something similar around for the older ones.

Caporegime
Oh well I'm paying Ukraine prices now 28kr a month. About 2 quid.

I think by next time they are going to have completely locked down vpns

No f ing way am i paying 200kr a month that's crazy...

Soldato
I'd forgot about background play. I often listen to crypto / financial channels but don't necessarily need to watch the content.
Yeah, in the world of needing constant stimulation, unless i'm doing a job which requires complete concentration, I like listening to something in the background.

The algorithm can be hit and miss though for my feed. Sometimes its good but other times it flags up rubbish and/or content i've already watched. Coupled with autoplay, you can easily find yourself listening to hours of 8 out of 10 cats (if you don't intervene) even if you've only watched one clip.

Soldato
Don't miss Premium. All you need is Ublock and remove ablock thing extensions.

So far so good. :) on my iPhone i use Brave Browser.
It’s obviously not all you need as without premium you get a ridiculous amount of adverts when watching on your tv.

Great if you only use your computer or phone.

Soldato
Any VPN and country combos still working for cheap premium?
Last guide I found was using Ukraine and the much more convenient Urban VPN Proxy chrome extension (easier to use)..

It’s obviously not all you need as without premium you get a ridiculous amount of adverts when watching on your tv.

Yeah, I have multiple Smart TVs, home cinema stuff, Tesla, Android Auto, phones, ipad.. for £2 a month it seems a no brainer to just not have to faff around.

And do I trust third party software that is filtering my network traffic, so obviously needs access to my network? Nope..

Last edited:

Sho

Sho

Soldato

On TV we use Smarttube. It’s not perfect but does the job. We mainly use front room tv for movies/Netflix or ps5

Everyone else in the house when using their own devices have gone down the same route as me or smarttube.
And not one of them are missing premium. Yea does take a while to adapt, in the end you get on with it.

So far so good.

Soldato
Cheers for the replies. I've just come off a year plan with Turkey. Seems Turkey wont accept non turkish payment methods, same for philippines and india. I ended up having to do a monthly one through Ukraine for just over £2 a month which si fine. I would have preferred just buying a years worth if possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom