FIFA 08 Official Thread

Soldato
OP
Does anyone find themselves using tricks simply because they are there, knowing full well that they will probably lose the ball?

I only tend to do tricks when I am in loads of space just for a bit of flair. Saying that I played online against someone the other night and I beat hime about 4 times using some awesome tricks, I was so happy.

My online record so far is Won 3 Lost 1 :)

Ont he subject of online, EVERY TIME i play it has to download a squad update. does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way around it?

Soldato
Had a real edge of your seat moment last night came up against Aston Villa in the League Cup and got showed just how slow some of my team are.

Changing everything I did, played a very slow methodical game... held up the ball around the box and called for the defenders to attack when chances came - some fantastic efforts but no goals came. Had one chance burried into the back of the net with Akinbiyi tucking one away but ruled for offside.

Villa dominated a lot of the match with me just chasing the ball, Carew hit a great shot from outside of the box bending towards the top right corner of the goal... De Vries pulled of the save of his life to stop it and tipped it over for a corner.

But it didn't matter...Agbonlahore put them 1-0 up before half time with a well placed header and some shoddy defending on my part.

Duffy brought the game back to 1-1 straight after half time... or so I thought... another ruled for offside...

My new right winger Cristian showed what he's worth and plays a pass past a defender that he caught up with himself... a run down the right flank, cross into the box and Akinbiyi hits the bar, hits the line of the goal and cleared off the line by their defenders... Monk gathers the ball up, back to Cristian who jinks and jives into the box a cross into the box again and Duffy misses his header the ball falls down to Andy Robinson... it's an open goal, first time shot from six yards out... volled over the bar...

Never managed to make another clear chance and I'm out after the 3rd round :(

Fifa is actually producing some decent edge of seat, nail biting moments... Fantastic :D

Last edited:
Soldato
For cutting inside whilst at full pace I find letting off the RT for a second and then getting back on it the best way to skin a defender, its only a very small touch/trap thats taken this way but you get really good control from it.

My only complaints with this game so far are
1: 'Alan smith can pop up anywhere' a line said at least twice a game whenever he plays.
2:Ive seen many goalkeeping glitches where he faces the complete wrong way, normally this is when dealing with crosses.
3:One of the pitches looks like my saturation has been set to 0, players included.

Soldato
Hmmm... still debating whether to buy this or PES7. PES7 seemed incredibly similar to PES6. FIFA seemed like a good game, but after 6 iterations of PES I found it really hard to change the way I think a football game should work and what buttons to press.

It would be nice to play as Tottenham Hotspur instead of North East London for once. :)

Caporegime
Ont he subject of online, EVERY TIME i play it has to download a squad update. does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way around it?

I think it's because you've run Manager mode and transferred someone maybe. It does it on mine, but before I did Manager mode it never used to.

On the topic of tricks, I played a guy who was awesome at them and he had my life. If you get the timing right they are clearly worth it. I still smile when I think about the time I flicked the ball over mine and the opponents head, over the top through balled it then volleyed it at goal (but the keeper saved it :().

Caporegime
Hmmm... still debating whether to buy this or PES7. PES7 seemed incredibly similar to PES6. FIFA seemed like a good game, but after 6 iterations of PES I found it really hard to change the way I think a football game should work and what buttons to press.

It would be nice to play as Tottenham Hotspur instead of North East London for once. :)

You can in the new PES, they are a licensed team. You can change the buttons in Fifa to the same as PES. Just so you can debate a little longer :p.

Caporegime
Fifa is actually producing some decent edge of seat, nail biting moments... Fantastic :D

I agree. I was Liverpool last night playing a guy online who was Bayern Munich. Some of the efforts at both ends that almost went on had me shouting out loud. The daddy of which was me, as Babel skinned his player on the wing, dinked it in the box to Torres who flicked the ball on to Kuyt who hit the mother of all volleys full pelt, perfectly towards the roof of the net only for Kahn to make an instinctive save (it was definitely the hardest shot I've hit yet) and tip it onto the crossbar which flew back out of the area. I was literally 7 yards out when I hit the volley. Incredible.

We were laughing about it in messages last night.

Of course, the most embarassing was when I was playing the guy with skills (mentioned above) and twice I missed an open goal, one from 20 yards the other... shamefully (and I was dead center of goal) 5 yards out. I couldn't stop laughing. To top it, I lost the match by one goal.

Soldato
OP
Is this whenever you play online, or just whenever you start up Fifa in general?

When it is searching for an opponent and then finds one is when it does it. Sometimes people quit before it has finished downloading, so it takes ages to get into a game :(

One thing that annoys me (as I play with Chelsea a lot) is that whenever Wright-Phillips has the ball the commentator is almost gaurenteed to say "Wright-Phillips, a real bundle of energy"

ARRRRGHHH, SHUT UP!!! They say it all the time.

Associate
Been playing this game most of the weekend know and just getting the hang of it. Found the in game commentry superb. How Tyler and Gray talk about rivalry in the Noth London derby. :)

One thing I think they could have added is it would be nice if the red active player icon above his head turns green when they have the ball. Can be frustrating when your in a tackle and you hit the X button after you win which passes the ball. Does anyone else do that?

Soldato
You can in the new PES, they are a licensed team. You can change the buttons in Fifa to the same as PES. Just so you can debate a little longer :p.

Don't torture me! :)

I knew about swapping the button around but it's still the little differences that frustrate me. For example, having to flick the right joystick instead of tapping the run button to knock the ball ahead of the player. Hopefully I'll get used to it eventually.

Deleted member 33407

D

Deleted member 33407

Hi Guys

Quick question is it possible to map the buttons on ps3 so its the same as PES? I only get 4 optons (new, new alternative, classic, classic altern) but the sprint and player switching buttons are in the wrong place. Thanks.

Soldato
pardon my ignorance but I just got this for PC and I am using a Saitek 2600 gamepad.

Whenever I pass the ball the players who receive it will always recieve the ball and knock it away from them by a good 10 yards. Why do they do this, how the blazes do you stop them doing it?

Soldato
I am loving this game, also liking the fact i can play as Tottenham (i support them and yeh no more stick get enough as is!) and actually stand a chance.

I do admit, after playing pro evo so much though it does seem a little sluggish in comparison but the graphics more than make up for that. I'll still be getting pro evo 2008 as it's more of an arcady and faster paced game, where as this is more slower and more life like. I feel that EA really improved Fifa 08 by loads this year round as i haven't bought one of the Fifa's since 2002 i think. I'll be playing both :).

Last edited:
Don
pardon my ignorance but I just got this for PC and I am using a Saitek 2600 gamepad.

Whenever I pass the ball the players who receive it will always recieve the ball and knock it away from them by a good 10 yards. Why do they do this, how the blazes do you stop them doing it?

Press LB or LT depending on your control config. Their first touch will improve immensly.

Soldato
Bought this game today after reading some quite good reviews! Having been a Pro Evo fan since it was launched, i am finding this game to be quite superb!

The ball has a superb bounce to it and the players touches are very realistic! :)

For people waiting for Pro Evo, i wouldnt hesitate to suggest this for a few weeks as an alternate, i think this maybe better than the new Pro Evo. I'm gonna pick up both and see which one i like better.

Thinking i may be keeping an EA game tho.....:eek: lol

Back
Top Bottom