• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The AGP & PCI-E Graphics Card Buyers Guide***

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
He Mish, good to hear from you.

I would get the 8800 GT, it seems to have the edge in speed, although they both seem good value for money. I personally would worry about the the noise of the 2900 Pro too much, but I haven't experienced it first hand.

I like the look of the 8800 GT, but I wonder if it would be a big enough upgrade for me from my 8800 GTS. I might be tempted by the two 8800 GT GPUs on one chip card that I heard mention of a while ago:cool:

Soldato
Hi mate, yeah it just seems a good time to make the transition - I did the same thing with my X1950, got the money back on it and bought a better card for similar money. It's nice an slim the new GT card. What are the benefits of eVGA over BFG? its a flip between these two.

Associate
my younger brother is looking to upgrade from his MSI FX5950 Ultra VTD to something more capable as a final stop before saving to upgrade his whole system. In the last few months since the last post in this thread several more cards have jumped onto the market in the agp flavour and i was intregued to see what your opinions of the new ati 2600's and nvidias cards too, or would you suggest the x1950 as a sencible option???

Associate
Hi melbourne,
I think it's been asked before but do you know where the Radeon 2600pro/XT fit in your AGP list ?
The Geforce 7800GS and Radeonx1950pro look a bit long to fit in my case so am looking for the next best 'short' card.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The Pro is slower than the x1950 Pro. The XT isn't a lot faster. Only get them if your going to game at 1024 x 768.

Big gap between them and the x2900 Pro/XT.

What case do you have that you can't get a x1950 Pro in?

Associate
What case do you have that you can't get a x1950 Pro in?

I don't think the case is any particular brand. It is more a problem of where the IDE cables come from the motherboard.
My 6600GT is 17.5 cm long from the backplate (excluding the molex plugged into it). I reckon there is only another 5 cm clearance to the bundle of IDE cables. These are stretched pretty tight and would not go around a longer card. Which is why I was asking which is the best 'short' graphics card ?

Back
Top Bottom