The all things Anime related thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Tenchi movies? Hmm do tell as ive just seen a few of the series.

Im currently watching something called Solty Rei, which is kinda reminding me of cowboy bebop and a bit of 3x3 eyes in a way with regards to a girl who appears to have 2 sides to her. Story and action are well balanced so far and im up to about episode 9 going on 10 now. If no one has seen it before i recommend it.

Also i had a chance to see the first episode of salor moon, and boy i thought it was rubbish. I duno why ppl like it so much. It is cheesy as anything well imo it is. Can anyone offer some reason why they like it?

Btw anyone know a good "boobs" anime :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Tenchi movies? Hmm do tell as ive just seen a few of the series.

Im currently watching something called Solty Rei, which is kinda reminding me of cowboy bebop and a bit of 3x3 eyes in a way with regards to a girl who appears to have 2 sides to her. Story and action are well balanced so far and im up to about episode 9 going on 10 now. If no one has seen it before i recommend it.

I'd agree with that, I thought that Solty Rei was a good series (better than I was expecting when I first started it!).

Werewolf will correct me if I'm wrong but Tenchi has three movies on top of the various series and OVA. You can get them on DVD on R2 and they are normally available in a fairly cheap boxset or individually at the usual high street retailers. Thinking about it I have managed to watch the OVAs and the movies but I don't remember actually watching the series', (although I do have them).

Also i had a chance to see the first episode of salor moon, and boy i thought it was rubbish. I duno why ppl like it so much. It is cheesy as anything well imo it is. Can anyone offer some reason why they like it?

Btw anyone know a good "boobs" anime :p

Never seen much in the way of Sailor Moon apart from the odd clip on Youtube and the odd picture on the 4chan Anime Wallpaper forum. Always looked a bit dated to me.

As for your last request, Divergence Eve always struck me as being a bit pneumatic ...

:)

Commissario
Yup, there are 3 tenchi films, from memory 1 and 3 are off shoots of Tenchi Universe, and 2 is from OVA (I'm probably wrong though;)).

Divergence Eve/Misaki Chronicles (IIRC they've just been rereleased as a double pack in the states as they were two halfs of the same series), or Burn Up Excess, which on it's R1 and R4 releases (not sure about R2) has a jiggle counter* for each of the main characters.

*Apparently it was an early attempt at the system that allowed ADV to do Vid notes on the likes of Excel Saga;)

Soldato
Regarding Divergence Eve; Wikipedia includes the following

"The level of fan service in Divergence Eve has attracted much criticism from western viewers. Critics typically condemn the fan service first and foremost, before all other aspects of the show. Similarly, the few reviews that have praised the fan service tend to use it as their primary praise; some have called the plot mediocre, yet still recommend it due to the visuals."

;)

Soldato
:DWell he asked for `Boobs`and if Eiken isn`t about Boobs i don`t know what is lol:D
No story just Boobs,i think i heard somewhere that the anime is based on a Manga?With a `story`?

I did pick up volume 1 of the manga at the same time as I got the DVD ... haven't got around to reading it yet though (was a bit put off after seeing the DVD) ... may have a look at it nearer the end of the week after finishing rereading 1-5 of Yotsuba&!

I've got to sort out my manga at the weekend anyway (new bookcases coming Friday :) )

Caporegime
:DWell he asked for `Boobs`and if Eiken isn`t about Boobs i don`t know what is lol:D
No story just Boobs,i think i heard somewhere that the anime is based on a Manga?With a `story`?

lol, this is the wiki entry

Eiken (エイケン, Eiken?) is a heavily fanservice-themed manga and anime series created by Seiji Matsuyama. The story depicts the life of schoolboy Densuke Mifune after he is forced into the mysterious Eiken Club, which is populated only by females, several of whom have enormous breasts.

:D

Soldato
lol, this is the wiki entry

:D

You think that's bad .... from the back of Vol. 1:

"Densuke just enrolled at the exclusive Zashono academy. He's eager to participate in extracurricular activities, but he never expected to join the mysterious Eiken Club.

Strangely enough, every other member is a busty co-ed, and many of the club activities involve bikinis. But Densuke isn't interested in anyone but the shy and beautiful Chiharu. Will he overcome the wall of women that stand between him and true love?

Or is he doomed to a lifetime of bizarre double-entendre inducing situations?"

Given the 11th volume of the English version of the manga appears to come out in July I guess that the latter conclusion is the most probably :D

Associate
Finished watching Ergo Proxy and it was superb. I don't pretend to understand exactly what happened and what it all means, but it certainly reinforces my belief that sci-fi is the most sophisticated (and underestimated!) contemporary genre in both literature and visual arts.
Now to check out some of the boobs-themed series reccomended above for a bit of a change! :p

Soldato
Continuing my apparent collection of anime and manga with the word strawberry in the title, (e.g. Eggs, Marshmallow, 100% and probably more), I watched the first disk of Strawberry Panic earlier.

Thought it was quite good although the wikipedia entries comments about fan service are rather overstated. Also, rather surprisingly, you get 6 episodes on the disk instead of the usual 3-4 with a total runtime of ~150mins.

Soldato
Please let me know if /when you read the manga if it is worth looking up(i.e. if there is a story to it and not just boobs)

Read through volume 1 this morning, (bit of a mental wrench as I read it immediately after reading Yotsuba&! Vol. 5).

Not bad, I've read worse. There is plenty of fan service but there is a small amount of plot in there too. I would say that the manga left me with a better impression of the series than the anime did ... although it does seem rather fixated on a certain part of the female anatomy.

Soldato
Girls bravo any good?

How could we forget Girls Bravo ... marvellous series ... and if you like puppies then the main female characters older sister has a fine pair :p But it's also a vary good series which I would recommend generally (I have the DVD boxset).

Had a figure of Chitose Nanbu from Amaenaideyo come today, nice figure (in all senses of the term ;)) and amazingly quick shipping from Japan ... was shipped lunchtime Tuesday (local time) and came lunchtime today (EMS+PF).

Last edited:
Associate
Evening guys, just wondering if you could recommend me some new anime to watch.
I've just finished my 4th run through of Ghost in the Shell: SAC and Neon Genesis Evangelion so just looking for something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom