Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
OP
Tried that wont answer put on hold for one hour last night 7 till 8, phone tonight was told cancellation close a 5 so last night was a p*ss take.

Man of Honour
So I notice Virgin have an add in a Computer Magazine saying 50mb is well on the way and should be with us by the end of the year. Had a quick look but couldn't find any recent posts so apologies if it's been covered recently.

Was wondering if anyone knew when it's coming and if it'll be an upgrade for existing 20mb customers or if it'll be a new tariff?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So what happens to people like me? I'm paying £54 a month I think for the TV/Phone/BB package. really can't see myself wanting to spend more then that as I reckon introductory offers will be about the same?

Associate
Nothing will happen to you, you'll stay on the same package with the same services for the same price, 20mb isn't going anywhere. If you want 50mb it'll probably be around a tenner more.

Soldato
So what happens to people like me? I'm paying £54 a month I think for the TV/Phone/BB package. really can't see myself wanting to spend more then that as I reckon introductory offers will be about the same?

I'm having a guess that 50mb will be around the £40 - £50 mark at least. If you want to change to the higher broadband package I think any deal you had before will be dropped to reflect the new contract, Don't take my word for it though!

As said 20mb is going no where, packages will be 2mb, 10mb, 20mb & 50mb. 20mb & 50mb will run on a new config (DOCSIS 3) to relieve strain on the network for the 2mb & 10mb customers.

Permabanned
You should have got a Questionnaire E-Mail from VM which includes proposed costs.

£50 one of payment (guess for new modem and to get switched over to the new System)

£15pm more than the current 20MEG (I think that's £35pm, cant remember as on Package and Retainer).

Associate
not had anything from Virgin regarding new speed, very unlikely i would take it anyway.

I'm on 20mb at the moment and barely use it, but i get my home phone / LargeTV pack and 20mb bb for 48 a month at the moment.

Man of Honour
I only use the full 20meg every now and again, but 50 would be nice if there's something I spot that I want quicker then what I get it now. What will it work out MB wise in terms of usenet? I'm hitting 2.3 MB/s now so I imagine it'll be around the 5.2 MB/s mark?

Soldato
i thought it would be 5MB/sec maybe a bit less as on cableforums there having a little debate that 1.5Mbp upload isnt enough to cope with a 50Mbp download and that you'd require something like 1.66Mbp or 1.77Mbp i forget which. so in theory you'll get a bit less than 5.2MB/sec theoritical

Soldato
IMO it's not very compelling if it has the usual bare minimum crappy upload speed.

20Mb down is more than enough for virtually everything at the moment. It's the upload that needs serious attention.

Last edited:
Caporegime
50 meg? Just means you hit the cap in 2 mins instead of 5? ;)

Preeecisely. VM are going for all out speed for marketing purposes, ignoring quality of service and upload speeds.

The higher the download speed the better the service must be (to most people off the street), whereas the ridiculous speed caps and traffic management will render 50Mbps a joke.

Back
Top Bottom