Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I've got 20mb now and find I rarely hit the full limit when downloading so going to the 50mb would be pointless.

When are you ever going to use all that!

Soldato
Hi mate, trust updated btw :)

Well I can’t stand it much longer you have to work around the system like you say download on a night its just not right though. With my Be* line I can get full speeds 24/7. I cannot see how the UK customer can use 50meg, IMO they need to sort out the throttling rather than offering more than double the speeds.

Soldato
To be honest its going to encourage people to download illegally even more than the 20Mbps does, and do we really even need it? 2Mbps download speeds are more than enough anyway, especially when combined with a download management program that lets you have a huge download queue and manage the downloads.

The only reasons I can see people needing it are if they download a ridiculous amount, and to download very big files like blu-ray movies and pc games. But then that would be classed as illegal so its only going to encourage that sort of thing!

Soldato
Not all big downloads are illegal. Recently i purchased crysis warhead on steam, thats over 10GB download, you said 2Mbps is more then enough, well it would take ages to download 10GB like that. On my 20Mb connection it didnt take that long at all.

So dont say there are not legit reasons to needing big download speeds. Also, as the statement that VM should fix their current services first, well if you think about it, if heavy downloaders move onto 50Mb connection which is using DOCSIS 3, then that will ease the load on all other connections, possibly allowing VM to reduces the traffic management.

Also as i say in all threads like this, faster connections are not just about downloading MORE stuff, some people want a faster connection to download the normal stuff they download faster. So impatient people will also be able to take advantage of 50Mb.

Associate
tbh why would you want a 50MB connection? seriously, how often would anyone actually have a NEED for that kind of speed? imo 2mb is more than enough for the average joe & 10 or 20mb fine for advanced users.

Soldato
i had virgin for just over a year now and recently got a a new deal XL TV, XL BB and L Phone for £47 per month, service has been good and the only time my BB goes down is due to maintenance, speeds are pretty good will max out my 20meg on newsgroups. wish they give better upload speeds.

Soldato
What's Virgin service like nowadays? I've heard of HUUUGE problems from some people, is this a minority?

As with most things, people always talk about the problems they have, but people less frequently talk about the good things, and so it can seem like VM is a bad service but IMO its not.

Only in the over subscribed areas will you get a poor connection, and so far it seems that they are much fewer then the number of areas that are not over subscribed. I pay for 20Mb, and get exactly that, the only time it is less is when i download too much and get traffic managed, but i see that as fair and reasonable.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I recently downgraded to 10mb from my 20mb connection due to the stupid traffic management rendering it crippled beyond use for me. I would probably upgrade to 50mb if the STM isn't quite as naziesque as the rest of the tiers. It probably will be though :(

I would definately use that 50mb speed regularly aswell, I max my connection on a daily basis.

the only time it is less is when i download too much and get traffic managed, but i see that as fair and reasonable.

Peak-time STM was fair and reasonable, but them applying it during the daytime was a step too far. That's why I downgraded to 10mb and started doing all my downloading overnight.

Last edited:
Soldato
6GB download, and no upload limit, during the day doesnt seem too bad to me. Its not likely that limit will often be reached, unless you are a VERY heavy downloader that you have to download 6GB every day during them times.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
6GB download, and no upload limit, during the day doesnt seem too bad to me. Its not likely that limit will often be reached, unless you are a VERY heavy downloader that you have to download 6GB every day during them times.

I regularly download way more than 6gb, most days infact (via SSL Usenet of course ;) ). So yes it made a big difference to me and pretty much rendered the 20mb useless.

I understand the need for peak-time STM, that's fair. But why use traffic management during off-peak times? Surely the whole point of STM is to keep the network from being overloaded at busy times. Off-peak, by it's nature, is not that busy, therefore not likely to become overloaded. So why use STM during those hours?

Last edited:
Soldato
virgin media's stm/traffic management - http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

have to say i love my connection (20Mbp) and tend to get full speed most of the time, it hasnt crawed to snails pace like some others, it may dip to about 10mbp or so at daytimes but any other time its great.
i might however downgrade as i dont fully utilise the 20mbp, i think i just took it to see the big 2.2MB/sec download speed on IE/firefox :o

so according to the traffic management if i download after 9pm until 10am it isnt STM'd so its all full 20Mbp speed if i wanted while other times i tend to just browse and rarely download big files unless i know im within download/upload limits.

Soldato
I am at my sisters atm and she on 5 meg adsl thats like 1-2 at nights at best its got no limits but i can honestly say you can keep this i can't wait to get home back on my 20m cable connection, i get superb speeds off it.

Back
Top Bottom