Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
im not a heavy user but have just got a bt line installed and will find a adsl provider that doesnt have the stupid stm that virgin do.

I refuse to pay all that money and be told when i can and cant download/upload etc

Man of Honour
im not a heavy user but have just got a bt line installed and will find a adsl provider that doesnt have the stupid stm that virgin do.

I refuse to pay all that money and be told when i can and cant download/upload etc

Put your details into http://www.samknows.com and find out what's available. Be/o2/Sky LLU are all completely uncapped and quite cheap.

Man of Honour
True that the £52 / month will be cheaper in 8 parts, but... only 1.5M upload on 50M download it'll slow to a crawl when you try and multitask on it. :(

Only if by multitask you mean all upload @ 150KB/sec on p2p software... :rolleyes:

As much as I think 1.5mbit upload is rather anaemic for a 50mbit download connection, it's still quite a bit better than 800kbit upload connections that are the norm now (aside from the LLU/ADSL2+ providers). Back in the day when 2mbit was top-end for home connections, I had a 1mbit connection shared amongst a house of 9 people and it wasn't that bad as long as everyone behaved themselves.

That said, it was far better when we got another 1mbit line installed on top of it.

Soldato
20MB VM atm, during peak time im lucky to be downloading at 500kb/s, and right now im at work and carnt connect to any of my PC's as my internet at home has gone down AGAIN. Phones home, had the router and modem restarted just incase somthing happend my end (It happens) but nope, VM being terrible yet again.

Maybe it's just my area, but holy crap they are bad. 50MB? maybe they should improve services first. Higher uploads speed would be nice for a change too.

From a ****ed of guy that carnt change to a BT line :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
To be honest apart from the **** STM I'm very happy with the service I get from VM. I've been with them for years, since the old cableinet days, and I've had very little downtime during that time.

Soldato
Ive been with them since the days of the nice free NTL disk for free internet. and ive never had a problem, up intill this year, and now its all gone to pot.

Rang them up and all they could come up with was "Other people around you area must be downloading a lot so all your lines end up being slower"

WTF is that? lol. I was reading a site the other day and somone had the same response, and there was a link to the virgin media site saying the work around is to not download as much/as fast, so other users wont be effected..... yer nice one VM

Caporegime
To be honest its going to encourage people to download illegally even more than the 20Mbps does, and do we really even need it? 2Mbps download speeds are more than enough anyway

tbh why would you want a 50MB connection? seriously, how often would anyone actually have a NEED for that kind of speed? imo 2mb is more than enough for the average joe & 10 or 20mb fine for advanced users.

Please PLEASE! I've had enough of these short-sighted Luddites telling us that we don't need fast internet connections.

Try to look beyond illegal file-sharing to see the incredible benefits that high speed broadband can bring to the UK and the world.

The instantaneous sharing of data and information is critical to society moving forward and the sharing of knowledge. It's all about efficiency and progression.

Man of Honour
Please PLEASE! I've had enough of these short-sighted Luddites telling us that we don't need fast internet connections.

Try to look beyond illegal file-sharing to see the incredible benefits that high speed broadband can bring to the UK and the world.

The instantaneous sharing of data and information is critical to society moving forward and the sharing of knowledge. It's all about efficiency and progression.

I agree for the most part.

Though that leads onto my complaints about the awful upload speeds most consumer broadband has today. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for business/etc connections. I'm cheap ;)

Associate
325843328.png

This is in Holland, one of my clan mates recently got this and posted it up!! He is like a dog with two dicks atm, he says there are no caps no download limits etc.......

Wish it was the same here in the UK.

I would not trust Virgin as far as I could throw them.... my neighbours VM is supposed to be 10meg..... more like dialup than broadband.

Man of Honour
I had an email survey from VM recently asking what I thought about paying an extra £10 a month for 50MB.

I pay £29 ATM for 20MB so £39 for 50 sounds nice although I'm sure I can milk it :p

Soldato
At least they are not like BT and throttling people 3/4 of their connections from 5/12PM.

But I have to agree the daytime STM is downright silly, I do understand the Peak time STM and have no problem with that one, just wish they would change the daytime one.

No point in having a 20/50MB connection when you are always setting downloads off before you go to bed, even with a 2mb connection you could download a ridiculous amount of stuff in that time.

Soldato
No point in having a 20/50MB connection when you are always setting downloads off before you go to bed, even with a 2mb connection you could download a ridiculous amount of stuff in that time.

yes but you can still download MUCH more with a 20 or 50Mb connection overnight. so dont say there is no point, when there clearly is. And even if ppl do their main download overnight, they will still use the connection during the day and the faster connections will outperform the 2Mb by far.

Last edited:
Associate
50mb would have a 6.25MB theoretical download speed, but it's likely to be less than that, and I don't trust VM because of so many bad reviews of their service.

Associate
Only if by multitask you mean all upload @ 150KB/sec on p2p software... :rolleyes:

As much as I think 1.5mbit upload is rather anaemic for a 50mbit download connection, it's still quite a bit better than 800kbit upload connections that are the norm now (aside from the LLU/ADSL2+ providers). Back in the day when 2mbit was top-end for home connections, I had a 1mbit connection shared amongst a house of 9 people and it wasn't that bad as long as everyone behaved themselves.

That said, it was far better when we got another 1mbit line installed on top of it.

It's not the total bandwidth that cripples it's the asymmetry between upload and download rates.

Little maths taking your example:

Upload ratio on VM 50Mbit - 34:1
Upload ratio on ADSL 1Mbit - 4:1

You don't actually need anyone to be 'actively' uploading anything to make download suffer at that level of asymmetry, and for gaming it's just fantastic I'm sure :)

And the sarcasm at the start, don't be silly only one person could upload at 150kB/s with a 1.5Mbit upload, that'd near enough saturate it so wouldn't be much left for anyone to do anything else. Don't knock P2P anyways, never used Joost, iPlayer, 4OD, et al? Never updated World of Warcraft? :)

May I quote your post in my blog?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom