What to buy from NYC (new home/gadgets)?

Soldato
I'm going to NYC in a couple of weeks, and am wondering what to buy.

Firstly, I am moving into a new place that will require furnishing - obviously i can't bring home a sofa! But ideas in relation to that would eb good.

Also gadgets. Thought about maybe a Wii? But would i encounter problems as it would be a USA version? Would it work with my TV? Games bought here work etc?

Other things, I've got a Archos player, the iPod touch would be nice - but I don't think it can play half as many of the formats the Archos can.

Any other good ideas?

Thanks

Soldato
sod the stuff for the house, buy enough clothes for the enxt 2 years, and use the money you saved to buy stuff here.

I do the same in bangkok :)

i go once a year, buy 2 suits from my trusted tailor, and enough clothes to last for the rest fo the year.

Ralph Laurn polo shirts £1.80 each, and diesel jeans for £8 and t-shirs for apound each.

Soldato
OP
I really don't want to tun this into a "what to buy in Bangkok" thread but, whereavouts do you buy from when out there?

Back to NYC

Okay - no Wii.
Camera a maybe.
Not sure about clothes, might try and get a pair of jeans that actually fit.

Smart shirts and casual shirts - any tips where to buy?

Soldato
There's a fantastic camera store in New York, they export over here so might be classed as a competitor so I'll just post this random :) number and you can use it to work out which shop I'm referring to: 800 606 6969.

Soldato
Firstly, any prices shown won't include their sales tax, so you'll need to add that on.
Secondly check the prices fo anything you want against the UK price - gadgets are not always cheaper.
eg. a Panasonic TZ5 in San Francisco $330 + taxes = £200ish, from a well known UK internet seller (with UK warranty) <£180.
This is from a recent trip to SF, prices in NYC may be better, or worse. Even if the price is better, you might not get a warranty with it.

Soldato
eg. a Panasonic TZ5 in San Francisco $330 + taxes = £200ish, from a well

I think the prices in NY can be better, from the store I'm thinking of that camera is $264.95 + 8.375% tax (this can't be claimed back later as with some taxes, although I'm sure you wouldn't want to try since by doing so you'll prob get stung with UK import taxes). This comes out to about £165.

If you were to buy something like pro body DSLR the saving you'd make on that alone would probably pay for your flights out there in the first place :)

Soldato
I saw a store had a blueray laptop for about 550 dollars .No box as new in a large store.:eek: Fill up your wardrobe,Got some timberland boots and timberland flipflops for 45 dollors last month.:D

Soldato
OP
I saw a store had a blueray laptop for about 550 dollars .No box as new in a large store.:eek: Fill up your wardrobe,Got some timberland boots and timberland flipflops for 45 dollors last month.:D

Can you please recommend watch, shoes and clothes shops.
Thanks.

I understand that PC shops may not be able to...but other places please do state.

Soldato
Seeing as they're made out there, it's probably easier for the people hawking them to disappear some from the factory than set up and produce their own, to be honest.

Very little of this stuff is actually made in Thailand these days it's all moved on too cheaper places like China. Thailand is now notorious for very poor quality fakes compared to 10 years ago when genuine back door of the factory products were common place.

The good stuff is still available it's just much much harder to find in amongst the reams of tat piled high for the tourists.

One other thing who goes through two suits a year thats madness or low quality goods.

Back on topic I found the best value stuff in NY was clothes and trainers, I'd sugest buying a new pair of trainers even if you don't need them they are so cheap.

Soldato

Can you please recommend watch, shoes and clothes shops.
Thanks.

I understand that PC shops may not be able to...but other places please do state.

Century 21 next to W.T.C .Macys store bring your passport 11 percent discount.Have a look on there site.Where some old trainers and what clothes you have on. and buy some fresh one's when arrive and dump the old gear thats what i do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom