Does a car being towed need insurance?

Caporegime
Yantorsen, there's nothing wrong with not knowing a lot about a certain subject. However there is something massively wrong with pretending to know about something that you clearly do not have any understanding of. Just give it a bloody rest.

Permabanned
Google was not wrong on this occasion.

Google came up with this:

If an A bar is used, the towed vehicle becomes a trailer, and doesn't need tax, mot or insurance.
The the lead vehicle must be insured for towing and you have the problem of weight - if the combined weight is more than the driver is licensed to drive, he cannot use this method.

If the car is towed by rope, then the usual rules of the road apply - must be taxed, mot'd and insured - unless it is being towed to a pre-booked MOT test or to a garage to have the work necessary to pass the MOT. And the driver will have to be licensed.

Man of Honour
But the weight limit for an unbraked trailer is 750kg, and there is not a single car on sale in the UK today (Apart from that weird Axiom thing) thats below this, so you cant tow a car with one, its illegal.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;13647540 said:
But the weight limit for an unbraked trailer is 750kg, and there is not a single car on sale in the UK today (Apart from that weird Axiom thing) thats below this, so you cant tow a car with one, its illegal.

So you could in theory. You could also take things out of the car to save weight and put them in the towing car, since you'd be doing major mods to get an A frame on it anyway. If you just needed to get a car somewhere as cheap as possible you might do it, still probably wouldn't though.

Also, if you had a licence for driving heavier trailers could you not tow it? Such as a articulated lorry license or something? I don't know the answer to that.

If the vehicle is not taxed and is not on its way to or from a pre arranged appointment at an MOT testing station then all 4 wheels must be off the road. The vehicle is a trailer but is also still a vehicle and must be taxed and insured if it is on the road.

The thing I quoted is wrong then?

Caporegime
So you could in theory. You could also take things out of the car to save weight and put them in the towing car, since you'd be doing major mods to get an A frame on it anyway. If you just needed to get a car somewhere as cheap as possible you might do it, still probably wouldn't though.

Also, if you had a licence for driving heavier trailers could you not tow it? Such as a articulated lorry license or something? I don't know the answer to that.

No, you just use a trailer with brakes, where the car is off the ground completely, this is how you transport a vehicle. Not your ***** way with dodgy welded A-Frames and taking weight out of a car.

Searching on Google for something does not constitute as knowledge. You have given bad information. Give it a rest Yantorsen or no one will take you seriously ever again.

Soldato
Listen to yourself, your claiming you know about towing cars, but your talking about turning a car into a trailer, i'm sorry but wtf.

Also here's a few i found just now.

I'm not saying it's something I'd do, certainly not for long journeys. But statistically if you are just popping up the road to the shops you are unlikely to have an accident.

Wrong

if you're going to get a classic open top sports car, as suggested above, a Triumph Spitfire would be cheaper than an MG B/Midget.

Suggesting things like this to cover 3000 miles over europe.

This ones a real cracker.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17980868&highlight=username_yantorsen

I'd go for an Elise. But I agree with most what has been said. I just prefer the Elise though, it's British, looks better, and generally goes better. It might not be quite as comfortable, but from my experience as a passenger in them, they are perfectly comfortable in my opinion, just not as luxurious as the Audi.

Elise comfortable? mmkay. what about on the motorway on a freezing cold wet windy day?

If you shop around and choose the right car you can still get quotes under £1k. Try Adrian Flux young drivers policy.

Also have you tried fronting?

Recommending some1 fronting their insurance, nice.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17970688&highlight=username_yantorsen

lol

Last edited:
Permabanned
No, you just use a trailer with brakes, where the car is off the ground completely, this is how you transport a vehicle. Not your ***** way with dodgy welded A-Frames and taking weight out of a car.

Give it a rest Yantorsen or no one will take you seriously ever again.

I didn't say I'd recommend doing that. If you didn't have a trailer though and it was an car you didn't mind modifying, then it'd be cheaper.

Also nobody takes me seriously anyway, I have nothing to lose ;)

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;13647585 said:
No you can't :confused:

No, because its an UNBRAKED trailer. Lorry trailers are BRAKED.

Of course you could, you can do it with any lightweight car. Just because you say there isn't any car in production now under 750KG doesn't mean they don't exist.

You could just connect the breaks on the towed car up to the towing car. Like we do with our caravan, although of course it'd be more complicated because it's not made for doing that.

Caporegime
I didn't say a tow bar, I said an A-bar. It's what we call a frames where I come from.

Where do you come from exactly?

You could just connect the breaks on the towed car up to the towing car. Like we do with our caravan, although of course it'd be more complicated because it's not made for doing that.

And how the hell could you do that?

Yet again proving you know sod all.

Man of Honour
Of course you could, you can do it with any lightweight car. Just because you say there isn't any car in production now under 750KG doesn't mean they don't exist.

And what are the chances of the OP actually wanting to tow a frogeyed Sprite :rolleyes:

You could just connect the breaks on the towed car up to the towing car.

What, just like that? Haha, how do you suggest you do that? :p Even if by some miracle you managed to 'just connect the brakes' you'd have a non type approved braked trailer. These are... wait for it...

... Illegal. Fancy that.

Back
Top Bottom