D0 I920 and Gigabyte EX58 UD5 issues.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys,

@ Paul, yeah mate, I have tried using Turbo Boost in the BIOS for the 21x multiplier, this was the first thing I tried for 4GHz as this is how I hit 4GHz with my previous chip, and I tested Vcore right up to 1.35v and QPI to 1.360v, and it just buckles after a few minutes of LinX.

I don't think putting this chip under water would make a blind bit of difference tbh guys.

But it's all sorted anyway, I will explain in more detail at a later date! :)

I have actually been toying with the idea of setting up a custom water cooling loop for quite a while now, but I have just been to busy buying other hardware that I haven't had the spare cash to start buying the gear to set it up.

I was actually going to send you an e-mail Jon with the list of equipment that I plan on buying from a competitors site for my loop, I will get on it later today and run it past you first to see what you think if that is ok with you?

I will be picking up my 2nd chip sooner than I had expected, I should have the funds to go get it on Wednesday, so I am really looking forward to that! :D

Thanks again for all the help and kind words guys, I really appreciate all the help. :)

Soldato
All sounds good mate. Watercooling is lovely, I'll be pleased to help anyone else discover it.

I'm working for much of today, you'll probably get a response tonight though. Seem to check my email obsessively. Cheers

Associate
hi davy - my replacement bundle should arrive tomorrow. they've fixed it apparently - not sure what was wrong or what was done to fix it (trying to contact systems support all day) but I'll let you know if/when I find out. Might be of interest.

Cheers,

Soldato
OP
Good to hear they got it all sorted for you mate. ;)

Let us know how you get on with it once you get it back home.

::edit::

Just a word of warning, your sig can only have 4 lines of text in it ;)

Soldato
OP
Just a quick post to let you guys know that the chaps at OcUK have kindly replaced my processor for me!!! :D

I have also ordered another 920 D0 to complete my 2nd i7 system as well, they will both arrive here tomorrow, I just hope to god that I get 2 nice ones this time, and I also hope that this will be the end of all my problems with this rig!!!

I'm going to be sending my TJ10 off to have the roof modded to fit a 120.3 rad, some holes cut into the mobo tray for cable routing and one behind the heatsink backplate so that I don't have to take the mobo out to change the HSF, and I'm getting all the inside powder coated in red as well!!

Should be getting all my parts for a custom WC loop either at the end of next next month, or the beginning of October, I will just have to wait and see.

I'll make a thread on here once I get all my case mods and watercooling parts so that you guys can check it out, no doubt I will have to post a lot on here as well for help with the watercooling side of things because this will be my first go at it, and I don't really know anything about it as yet, although I have been reading up quite a lot, and Jon has helped me out with some bits and bobs as well which has been really kind of him. :)

Thanks again though to everyone that has been here for me in this thread, especially you Plec!

I will be sure to let you know how I get on with my new processors tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Hi Paul, I will be sure to take lots of pics when I get the work done to my case, and get my WC loop fitted.

I am going to take my time when it comes to plumbing in my loop, as I want it to be perfect.

My case should look really pretty once the internals are powdercoated in red, it was the new armorsuit case that inspired me, I think it looks fantastic!

CA-159-LL_23268_400.jpg

Hopefully mine will look better than this!!! :D

Soldato
OP
Got one of my chips this morning, batch number 3921A624.

Fired up my system, and set the BIOS up for 4GHz, booted into Windows and checked the temps, it is idling at 34c, and full load running LinX it hits 76c!! :D

I knew there was something sketchy about that last one, I just hope the techs here run some tests on it, or send it back to Intel to have it tested..

Just gotta wait for my second one to arrive, it should be here by this afternoon, as this one was sent via RMSD, and the other one was sent out via courier..

I am extremely happy to have finally gotten a decent chip to play around with!

Last edited:
Associate
lucky bugger! i'm happy for you.

i'm still sitting here with a 2nd bundle that is reaching 90C under full load.... sigh. OCUK are apparently on to it but I'm almost certain it's the Noctua that's the problem.

Anyway well done mate have fun with it :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the kind words guys, I am over the moon with this result tbh!

I am just waiting on my fiancee's chip to arrive now, I hope that it is a decent one as well.

@mothermachine, I will take some piccys of my BIOS screens for you later on mate.

I don't understand why your temps are so high though, which case are you using again?

Have you tried building your system up outside of the case to see what the temps are like?

I have got it LinX stable at 4GHz 191x21, but I want to use 200x20 instead so I need to tinker around with it to try and get this stable.

Oh and I am running my RAM with 8-7-7-21-1t instead of the stock 8-8-8-24-2t, which is quite good imo.

Associate
I'm using the Lian Li PC-1100B. A massive and roomy case with 3 strong fans. No idea why this thing is so hot. It's also unstable at the moment. I just got BSOD after only 30 mins of prime... :/

i've got no clue about overclocking, this is why I paid OCUK a premium to do it for me. they say the bundle works perfectly and with good temps in their offices, so the only difference at my end is the case or the Noctua. I can't see the case being the problem, it's huge. And I've built it outside the case too, temps are a little better but problems still happen.

Mystery...

Soldato
Fired up my system, and set the BIOS up for 4GHz, booted into Windows and checked the temps, it is idling at 34c, and full load running LinX it hits 76c!! :D

To offset this monumentous occasion - somewhere, far, far away a small star, that’s fed several well populated planets for millions of years has been swallowed by a black hole that, coincidently, suddenly popped into existence at 11.11 (GMT) on the 27th August 2009.

Great news DavyBoy, when do you plan on force feeding it 4.2GHz+ settings? ;)

Last edited:
Associate
is this all with your TRUE cooler by the way? i'm almost convinced the issue my end is this Noctua..

edit: question: does plugging the PSU direct into wall socket rather than surge protected multisocket make a difference in any way? i'm on the latter at the mo.

Back
Top Bottom