D0 I920 and Gigabyte EX58 UD5 issues.

Soldato
OP
Yeah man, this is all with my TRUE with only one Xigmatek fan hooked up.

Tbh with the last chip there wasn't any difference between 1 or 2 fans.

About the surge protector thing, I have heard some people say that this can affect your stability, but I wouldn't think this would cause any difference in temperatures mate.

Associate
Yeah man, this is all with my TRUE with only one Xigmatek fan hooked up.

Tbh with the last chip there wasn't any difference between 1 or 2 fans.

About the surge protector thing, I have heard some people say that this can affect your stability, but I wouldn't think this would cause any difference in temperatures mate.

well i've got both temp and stability issues at tho mo so anything will help. i'll give it a shot thanks for confirming.

if we can sort this I'm going to ask OCUK to replace the Noctua with a TRUE then. I don't care about noise one little bit so long as it's stable as a rock and isn't going to burn out in a year or less.

Soldato
OP
To offset this monumentous occasion - somewhere, far, far away a small star, that’s fed several well populated planets for millions of years has been swallowed by a black hole that, coincidently, suddenly popped into existence at 11.11 (GMT) on the 27th August 2009.

Great news DavyBoy, when do you plan on force feeding it 4.2GHz+ settings? ;)

LoL!!!

I only just noticed this post, you are a funny funny guy!

I'm going to wait until the weekend before I have a proper play around with my chip, I also want to test out the second one when it arrives to see which is the better one out of the two, as I will keep the best one for my machine obviously, and use the other one for my fiancees build, as she won't be clocking it or anything, although in saying that, I will more than likely play around with her rig just as much as my own one!! :D

From the small amount of time I have played around with this chip so far, I have to say I am extremely impressed with it, this is how these chips should be, the last one was clearly faulty, and I am hoping that OcUK send it off to Intel to have it tested by them to find out why the temps are so high.

I mean, it idled at 53c, whereas this one is idling at 34c, that is a huge difference imo, and definitely not right at all.

The chip either suffers from high leakage, or the IHS isn't properly soldered onto the CPU die.

It definitely wasn't due to a poor mount that the temps were so high, because I reseated the HSF loads of times, and I also tested the chip with 4 different coolers as well, and I got the same results every time.

@mothermachine, you won't get any difference in noise between the Noctua and TRUE, if you use good fans on it, there won't be any difference at all.

I have 1 Xigmatek fan on my TRUE it spins at 1500rpm, and it is dead silent, I can't hear it at all, the only thing I can hear in my rig is the fan on my GPU.

Even when I had both fans on my TRUE it was still extremely silent.

Do you think that they will swap the Noctua over for a TRUE instead?

::edit::

I just looked at their stock mate, and it appears that they don't have any TRUE's in stock atm, anyway, if I were you, I would ask them if they would swap it for the Megahalems, it is cheaper than the Noctua and it performs slightly better than a TRUE as well.. it was actually Thermaltake engineers that were responsible for the Megahalems, if I wasn't planning on going for custom WC, I would buy one that's for sure, I think they look fantastic, probably the best air cooler out there atm tbh..

But I have gotten a real urge to get this chip and my GPU under water, so that's what I am going to do, though it wont be for a while yet as I am short of cash atm.

Last edited:
Associate
I think they will. Support just got back to me saying that if a few things we're going to try don't work they will send a replacement alternative, which I imagine would be a TRUE although I'm going to ask for confirmation. I'm also hoping they will let me keep this Noctua until it arrives, otherwise I'm not going to have a workstation until the end of next week...

Permabanned
Any of you lads running with 12GB...got 2 sets of XMS3 7-7-7-20/1600mhz but have been been getting cold boot probs (3.2/1600mem with 1 set no probs)...system will start then knock off boot into windows at 2.66/1066mem I restart go into bios and OC settings restore and then boots without issue...bios is F7...have had the system stable at 3.5/1050mem but cold boot probs still there.

Soldato
OP
@mothermachine, like I said mate, OcUK have no stock of TRUE's atm according to the site, but if I were you I would see if they would give you the Megahalems HSF, as it is better than the TRUE anyway, and looks nicer as well.

Keep me updated as to how you get on man.

@Macker, I don't personally run 12GB of RAM, but from what I have read online it can be a real PITA to get a stable O/C with 12GB, I imagine that if you were to loosen up those timings to say 8-8-8-24-2T, or 9-9-9-26-2T, and raise QPI/Vtt voltage to 1.355v you should be able to get it stable.

If that still doesn't work you should try underclocking the RAM slightly, if you are setting Bclk to 160 for 3.2GHz, try using the 8x mem multi instead of 10x which will mean your RAM is running at 1280MHz instead of 1600MHz, but it should help you get your CPU O/C stable..

Associate
I've had the same problems as you with the same hardware. I found it to be a faulty motherboard so I have sen't it for RMA, Everything I tried failed, Memtest - No errors, Prime95 - No errors, Fumark - No errors. The temps were all fine even with stock cooler. It just locked up sound spazzed out, Wouldn't respond.

And about the PSU, The OCZ 700W StealthXtreme wouldn't break the bank balance.

Associate
it's a funny one this bundle...

first OCUK said it was a dodgy mobo battery, so replaced entire bundle (mobo and CPU but not Noctua HSF). that seems to have fixed *something* but the temps are still way too high. we've ruled out bad BIOS settings, case problems and bad paste application so all that's left is the Noctua being faulty or underperforming.

a lot of customers on OCUK site have said that moving from Noctua > Megahalem has dropped load temps down by as much as 15C... that's a HUGE difference.

I'm waiting to hear back from syssupport about which cooler they are going to send me. I hope it's a Megahalem...

Soldato
OP
I've had the same problems as you with the same hardware. I found it to be a faulty motherboard so I have sen't it for RMA, Everything I tried failed, Memtest - No errors, Prime95 - No errors, Fumark - No errors. The temps were all fine even with stock cooler. It just locked up sound spazzed out, Wouldn't respond.

And about the PSU, The OCZ 700W StealthXtreme wouldn't break the bank balance.

Who is this directed towards mate?

@mothermachine, I imagine they would send you the megahalems if they are going to switch the Noctua.

That should definitely sort out those high temps, unless of course you have been landed with a chip like my last one...

Everyone tried to tell me that it was my n00bishness that was the cause of those high temps in that I wasn't mounting my coolers properly!

I wasted half a tube of AS5, and spent days on end installing 4 different coolers literally hundreds of times, and every single time I got the same insane temperatures.

Then they replace the chip, and as soon as I install it and fit my TRUE the temps were perfect.. I knew that it had nothiing to do with a bad mount, or me not applying paste properly, I have been building systems for long enough now to know how to apply TIM!!!

Associate
Who is this directed towards mate?

@mothermachine, I imagine they would send you the megahalems if they are going to switch the Noctua.

That should definitely sort out those high temps, unless of course you have been landed with a chip like my last one...

Everyone tried to tell me that it was my n00bishness that was the cause of those high temps in that I wasn't mounting my coolers properly!

I wasted half a tube of AS5, and spent days on end installing 4 different coolers literally hundreds of times, and every single time I got the same insane temperatures.

Then they replace the chip, and as soon as I install it and fit my TRUE the temps were perfect.. I knew that it had nothiing to do with a bad mount, or me not applying paste properly, I have been building systems for long enough now to know how to apply TIM!!!

nightmare mate... well i've had 2 CPUs now, so almost 0 chance it's that. i'll see what they say tomorrow. i'm hoping for a Megahalem... although my system appears now to be pretty much totally stable... been running for 10 hours doing 3D renders and temps have not gone above 83C, mostly staying at 79 or 80 during load. no crashes yet apart from when running Prime95. promising, but I'd still be happier with lower temps.

Associate
Hi David. I used a heat gun ( http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14303/Power-Tools/Heat-Guns/DeWalt-DW340K-240V-Hot-Air-Gun ) on the pins and got them hot enough to bend, basically when they were almost too hot to touch! I then used a couple of watchmaker type screwdrivers (I had previously ground the tips to almost a point). One driver was under the pin near it's base, the other on the other side of it to bend the pin. Make sure you do it very slowly, a small amount at a time, and keep re-applying heat as they go cold quickly. It's a tricky job. Good luck if you try it. Don't blame me if it goes wrong! :)

Associate
thanks Paul,

if it goes wrong its my fault i know, just trying to get as much info as possible to stop that happening.

The heat gun you link to, how do you get the pin hot enough without melting the surrounding plastic?

Do you think two sharp pins would be a reasonable substitute for the screwdrivers you used?

many thanks
David F

Soldato
OP
I had a bent pin in my first UD5 when I bought it, all I did was pushed it back into place with a paper clip, I never heated anything up, but the pin wasn't bent that badly, it just needed to be pushed over to the side.

Back
Top Bottom