Watercooling a Sugo SG05...

Soldato
Sort of.

I've recently got one of these - Corsair H50. Which i've managed to fit where the 120mm fan goes, and it seems to work ok:O

The only modding I had to do was drill the 120mm holes about 10mm lower, allowing me to screw the rad in without it interfering with the HDD caddy. (tho it's mounted sideways and I only have a 2.5" HDD, I think if you had a 3.5 HDD in you'd have more trouble).

The reason i'm posting is to show off slightly (this is my first attempt at watercooling) and to ask a couple of questions. Should the pump be totally silent? As I do have a slight mechanical 'clicking' sound. And is the rad okay on it's side?

Soldato
I doubt anyone will help until you at least post some pics! :p

The mechanical clicking I believe is air in the system, although i'm not sure how to cure it as i'm no watercooling expert.

Anyway... PICS.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that, will post some pics tonight:D

It's a closed system so if it has got air in it, I suppose i'd have to send it back to OCUK/Corsair?

Soldato
OP
Got some pics, taken off a blackberry so not great...

IMG00089-20090911-1917.jpg

IMG00090-20090911-1917-1.jpg

It's still fairly quiet, but that ticking noise is annoying me, only because it's now louder than it was on air...

Also had a go at overclocking on the board, managed 3.6ish, went for 4ghz but then the woman wanted to watch a film so shall have to try again tomorrow.

And yes, the case is a mess, but cable management just doesn't happen in this case, it was better before honest!

Associate
Having exactly the same issue here with my H50 that I got setup today. Posted on some other forums to see if its normal but I think may be faulty. Sounds like the noise a hard drive makes when accessing data.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that's the noise, it's a real shame because it's such a tidy piece of kit.

If I find a solution other than replacement I'll post it here.

Soldato
Often wondered, can these small cases be sealed and passive coolers added, fans revmoed and then filled with oil....... For megapassive cooling, would that even be possible?
I know the small hole on HDs has to be kept above liquid level, but that is not an issue with SSD.

What do people think, would the passive cooling fishtank effect be possible?

Associate
The H50 that I had made a ticking noise as well. I sent it back to Corsair and I'm currently waiting for them to send me a new one.

Thats interesting, would be very intrested to here if the replacement fixes the problem and how long it takes to turn-arround. ;)

Associate
Thats interesting, would be very intrested to here if the replacement fixes the problem and how long it takes to turn-arround. ;)

I'll keep you informed. They received the H50 on the 8th and apparently there's a upto 5 working day delay at the moment on warranty replacements (not sure if that's just H50's or on other things they sell as well).

Soldato
Good man, that's a really sensible combination. The first use of the H50 that I wholeheatedly agree with.

A shame you can't fit several hard drives in the same case or this would be amazing for a nas.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all of the replies:) I've been on to Corsair myself and will be sending the unit back.

This is what ramguy from the Corsair tech forum says,

If the noise is loud enough for you to hear it while using the system then it is too loud and we can replace it for you. If you can only hear it with the side of the case off and with your ear next to the case, then there may be a slight buzz.

I can hear mine from across the room, hence the RMA.

And thanks JonJ678, it does seem to work well with that case.

Associate
Often wondered, can these small cases be sealed and passive coolers added, fans revmoed and then filled with oil....... For megapassive cooling, would that even be possible?
I know the small hole on HDs has to be kept above liquid level, but that is not an issue with SSD.

What do people think, would the passive cooling fishtank effect be possible?

Yes it can. I've done it. HDD and all. Only thing that was out of the oil (Hydrolic brake oil) was the optical drive. I had a 120mm fan in the case to move the oil around and not cause heat spots. I also kept the CPU fan on. It struggled a little to spin up, but it did work.
I tried it on a Duron running at 1.8Ghz. On air it was 60 something in the oil I never moved from 28 degrees.

Hard drive did fail after 6 months though.

Associate
Just a little update for J400uk and godinman. I received my replacement H50 from Corsair today (was surprised as I had no email telling me it was on its way). Only problem is that it sounds exactly the same as the one I RMA'd. It has that annoying buzzing sound which you can hear from across the room.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the update, sounds like you got a quick turn arround. Shame it still makes the same noise though :(

I guess they must all be like that.

Associate
Thanks for the update, sounds like you got a quick turn arround. Shame it still makes the same noise though :(

I guess they must all be like that.

No problem. I think I'll just sell this one on as I'm certainly not setting up another RMA. I'll bump my thread on the Corsair forum and see what they have to say.

Soldato
OP
Darn, thats a bugger:(

I wonder if you could just cut the pipes and add in your own res...would screw the warranty but at least you could make sure it's full..hmmmmm

Thanks for the info:D

Associate
Could it be something simple, like its making a noise because the pump is above, or equal to the rad ?

If you power it up with the rad loose, and move the rad around, does it get louder, or quieter ?

Back
Top Bottom