• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Trying to decide i7 920 or i7 860

Soldato
Has anyone considered the upgrade path as well? Intels 6 or 8 core chips will be for the 1366 socket, so the high cost of x58 will add extra value in the long term.

Soldato
Upgrading within 1156 did not even come into the equation with me, because if at a later stage more attractive (to me anyway) cpus are released for 1366, I will simply sell my 1156 setup and get the 1366 hardware...

Soldato
OP
Well at the end of the day guys when most were saying go 920 it does keep ringing a bell i had to use caution as not many people on here had the 860 i only seen 1 or 2 but at the end of the day im sure i will still have a decent machine to do all i want for a few more years.

Permabanned
Glad you eventually made a decision chippy08. You have a top class CPU. No doubt and im sure you'll be very happy with it.
As already mentioned the difference in the real world of computing between the 920 and the 860 is hardly anything at all. Either way you are the winner and would have got a top setup in the process taking either of your options.
I think OC pushed you on the 1366 due to the fact they didnot have stock of the stuff you wanted. ? Making them fear you could go elsewhere for the 860. So they sold you the 1366 path. ?? lol !! But you did not loose out at all.

Look forward to you getting this rig up and running and how rate it.

McT

Soldato
OP
Glad you eventually made a decision chippy08. You have a top class CPU. No doubt and im sure you'll be very happy with it.
As already mentioned the difference in the real world of computing between the 920 and the 860 is hardly anything at all. Either way you are the winner and would have got a top setup in the process taking either of your options.
I think OC pushed you on the 1366 due to the fact they didnot have stock of the stuff you wanted. ? Making them fear you could go elsewhere for the 860. So they sold you the 1366 path. ?? lol !! But you did not loose out at all.

Look forward to you getting this rig up and running and how rate it.

McT

Thanks but it was a case of me walking in there and saying straight away whats best i7 920 or i7 860. its true they were out of stock of a few things but i could have changed them if needed but one of the reviews of the 920 was someone saying wow and if you read good reviews like that then its jus something else that wins you over.
Video card i ordered elsewhere as oc didnt have stock and i am someone who cant wait for new stuff when i have money in my pocket im like a kid in a sweet shop lol.

Associate
I honestly don't think there is much in it for the average user looking at the technology alone. I think the main issue you need to address and satisfy yourself over is this...

Do you want to be an early adopter of new technology? Do you want a more mature product that has been in the marketplace for a while?

Do you like tinkering with the system or do you want to set everything up once, and just use it.

Do you like applying BIOS upgrades - with new technology you can expect more fixes to become necessary over time than for older technology, where the fixes should be available at build time. Same with driver updates.

Do you want to live with the possibility that the new technology may be revealed to have serious flaws when in widespread use - with new technologyyou are effectively end-user testing products. With older technology problems will already be widely reported, updated drivers will be available.

For corporate use only a brave fool would buy into bleeding edge technology, let the market test it for at least 6 months before adoption.

I admit I carry these views into my home usage. It is a purely personal thing. I raise it here in case you haven't considered it.

This obviously applies to graphics cards due out soon as well.

I have come to the conclusion that September is a bad time to build a new system with all the new hardware announcements. Sadly I am building a new system in early October :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
i7 860 is highend.

I think what he means is that the platform is mid-range, even though the CPU itself can be considered high-end.

There are advantages to S1366 such as the superior PCI-E implementation but it stands to be seen whether S1156 chips will affected much by it.

Back
Top Bottom