• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4890 Vapor-X or 5870, will work on P43?

Associate
I don't have the best technical knowledge so forgive me if its a very simple question/answer.

I'm looking at getting either the 4890 Vapor-X 1024/2048 or the new 5870. I'm aiming more towards the 5870 to future proof to some extent, but i'm confused at the PCI BUS 2.1 requirement.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3 and it says it only has PCI Bus 2.0 but would it support a 5870? Also if i did choose the cheaper option of a 4890, is it worth the extra 1GB of card ram? I would have thought so for £20.

Associate
warning about the 4890 vapor x, i ordered one wednesday and they have had shipments of them stolen (i phone to ask why it wasnt delivered). I have to call up tomorrow to check when they are next getting stock in

Associate
well i called up last thursday ( i ordered wednesday well intime for next day delivery) and they said they didnt have any stock in, their computers were wrong (though it still says they do on the website :S) They said a shipment was coming friday and they bumped me to saturday delivery, which was fine. I called saturday when id recieved no dispatch email and they said "they have been stolen, the office is a bit dry so i cant tell you when the next batch is coming, call monday"

So im calling tomorrow :(

Yes the 4890 Vapor x specifically, i ordered it because of the cooling

Soldato
Surely though he will be paying a premium for recently released card that will offer him very little noticeable performance increase with a 22" monitor over the 4890?

Maybe the 5850 would be more viable in a few months time when the price might drop, but now, especially with the resolution he is using, the extra cash it would cost is best saved imho.

Associate
OP
I've gone for the 4890. It seemed the more realistic option at this point, due to the high price of the card (although i paid similar for my 8800). My next upgrade was due to be a chip, ram and OS to Windows 7 from XP but that will have to come around xmas time now.

Associate
good stuff, i phoned them this morning and they confirmed they should be getting a shipment today, so hopefully you and i will get ours tomorrow :D

Associate
OP
getting mine wednesday via royal mail as only day i'm in to get a parcel, if i'll be going into town but certainly looking forward to it. Damn 8800 dieing, it was only near 2 year old.

Caporegime
Surely though he will be paying a premium for recently released card that will offer him very little noticeable performance increase with a 22" monitor over the 4890?

Maybe the 5850 would be more viable in a few months time when the price might drop, but now, especially with the resolution he is using, the extra cash it would cost is best saved imho.

Looking at the techpower up review, the 5850 is a fair bit faster at that res, anywhere from 30 to 80+fps, theres only a couple of cases where its lower than that (so only a few ahead of the 4890), but that could be because its only on beta drivers, so once the proper drivers start rolling out its going to get better. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone give me a quick opinion, I'm finally ordering my rig today but cant decide on either the 5870 (£306) 1GB or 2x4890 Vapor-X running crossfire (4GB DDR5 etc) cheaper

Surely 2 of those beasts running xfire would outdo a single 5870?

I'm not too bothered about DX11 right now and would most likely be buying 2x5890's next year (or 300GTX) and I dont want to wait for the 5850.

What do you think? I'm looking for the most bang for my buck!

Also what kind of PSU would I need to run two of those if I went for them (I'm more tempted by the 5870 tbh, but if they outperformed it I'd go with the 4890's though I dont think they would!)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom