How much would a trip to the 'Ring be?

Soldato
I fancy doing something for my birthday in 2 months and I have no idea what yet.

So how much would this journey be, including:

Fuel in total
Entrance fee
Hotel stop over
Ferry
Insurance?
And misc.

Hopefully this would just be for Saturday/Sunday.

Cheers.

Soldato
If you intend to go out on Saturday and return on Sunday... could I suggest you take the Friday/Monday off work and add at least one full day there, ideally two. It's a fair drive and I'd not like to feel rushed into making the trip fit into two days.

The other problem with not really having any time there is that if the track is closed for any reason you don't have much opportunity to get on it.

Caporegime
fancy postponing this till maybe march next year ?

I'm going over for a stag do in about march time, but ive not got many petrol head mates, so was hoping to ask some of you OcUKers along :D

Associate
I fancy doing something for my birthday in 2 months and I have no idea what yet.

So how much would this journey be, including:

Fuel in total - what car do you drive?
Entrance fee There is no entrance fee, its approx 70 euros for 4 laps when I went this year
Hotel stop over Theres a campsite next door at 11 Euros a night
Ferry approx 40 quid from Calais to Dunkirk
Insurance? There isnt really many options on this, if you can find it it'll be £££
And misc.

Budget approx £500-600 in total. Thats with a 2.2 Prelude at 25mpg from stoke

Hopefully this would just be for Saturday/Sunday.

Cheers.

Associate
You'd really need to take fri and tues off to make it worth your while. Friday night ferry from North Shields leaves at 5pm and get you into Amsterdam at 9am and its approx a 3hr drive down to the 'Ring from there so by the time you get there and get sorted at your hotel/campsite most of saturday is gone and you possably wont want to do any/many laps when you're not fresh. That gives you the full day on sunday to have fun and not crash. Monday morning gives you a chance to get a few extra laps in before you leave to get back up to amsterdam for 2/3ish to get the 5pm ferry back over, and again get back into South Shields 9am tuesday morning.

Cost depends on what you're taking over and where you want to stay. Ferry costs are approx £140 each way if there's 2 going. Fuel will depand how heavy you right foot is on the way there and back and how many laps you intend on doing. FYI it's approx 450miles in total from the ferry terminal to the ring and back. Lap prices are approx £17 per lap but is slightly cheaper the more you buy. I'm not too sure on hotel prices but the campsite right next to the ring is only £10 a night to stay on and the shower blocks and bar are decent enough. Insurance is a massive grey area, many, including myself, dont bother and take risk as it's not specificly named in my insurance policy.

May have missed loads out but that gives you an idea, any questions just ask.

Man of Honour
Fuel in total

Google maps your house to the Ring. Double it. Use your cars average fuel consumption figure. This will give you the cost to get there and back.

Then figure in a tank for the ring itself. Job done.

Entrance feep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburgring

4 laps for €75.

Hotel stop over

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Nurburgring+hotel+prices

http://aferry.to

Your welcome. Internet rocks dunnit.

Naf

Naf

Associate
Go from Hull-Rotterdam overnight - it's a long old trek down to Dover, and it's even worse when you're coming back as you are reminded of the state of driving in the UK :(
(You could even do South Shields - Rotterdam or wherever that one goes, but the ships are cack compared to P&O out of Hull - and the beer is a lot more expensive, €6.50 on DFS where as it was under £4 on P&O for a bottle of Grolsch - still expensive but it adds up, plus they're just better ships in general)

It'll probably be just as cheap as doing Dover/Calais once you take into account the extra fuel, wear and tear, and the fact you'll be shattered.

€22 a lap iirc.

We stayed at the Ringhaus (few hundred metres from the entrance) and it was cheap - Frank speaks english so you can ring him or do it online.

Insurance - No point tbh, unless you can get third party insurance. Most people would be able to pay for some track damage and damage to their own car in some way (loan etc) but if there's a third party involved and they get injured then you've pretty much had it.

The other way round it is to hire a car from RSR Nurburg or another company - RSR have right hand drive Clio 197s which means you don't have to get used to changing gear with the wrong hand. Just make sure you do at least one lap in your own car and whack a sticker on it ;)

I'm going over again next year when I've finished my exams - so if you want to go again then you should come with us (that goes for you too MrLOL :))

Man of Honour
Have you been/are you planning on going to The Ring? I ask because you mentioned getting a Ring sticker on your 530 soon.

I've been planning to go to the Ring for years. I was a week away from going on 2006 but it never happened. It's not been practical since but hopefully I'm going with some mates around Easter time this time.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
In the clio i did around £650 / £700 and i stayed at the pistonklous. This year i went in the scooby, a little more thirsty ;) so around £800 +

Associate
My friends and I went beginning of this month.

are cost were :-

European breakdown with tesco ( the cheapist i could find they cover you for 8 days ) £36
£50 ferrie for one car dover to dunkirk
to go round the track it was 22 euro and with the exchange rate it was 1.10 to a pound when we went crap really.
On the way we stopped off at brussel in a holiday inn that was 50 euros a night with secure parking.
Then we stayed at the camping site near the racetrack which was 12 euros a day.
Then from there we went and stayed in amsterdam for the night in a hotel chain called ibis that was 42 euros a night.
Then from there we went to rotterdam and paid £150 for the overnight ferrie to hull

Petrol for the whole trip around £400 pound car was nissan almera gti and
nissan primera gt
Petrol over there was 1.38 euro most petrol station we went to.

We saved £1000 pound between all of us 5 then we toke £370 worth of euros as spending money. we went on the saturday and came back on the thursday.

Soldato
OP
If you intend to go out on Saturday and return on Sunday... could I suggest you take the Friday/Monday off work and add at least one full day there, ideally two. It's a fair drive and I'd not like to feel rushed into making the trip fit into two days.

The other problem with not really having any time there is that if the track is closed for any reason you don't have much opportunity to get on it.

It was just a quick thought of something to do for my birthday. Having not thought about travelling time, it would be wise to go for the long weekend so you get a couple of full days at the track :)

fancy postponing this till maybe march next year ?

I'm going over for a stag do in about march time, but ive not got many petrol head mates, so was hoping to ask some of you OcUKers along :D

Looking at the prices it may be better to postpone it and save a bit more cash so possibly :)

[TW]Fox;14975251 said:
Google maps your house to the Ring. Double it. Use your cars average fuel consumption figure. This will give you the cost to get there and back.

Then figure in a tank for the ring itself. Job done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburgring

4 laps for €75.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Nurburgring+hotel+prices

http://aferry.to

Your welcome. Internet rocks dunnit.

Heh. Thanks Fox. Could have looked myself but thought i'd ask here so that's there is a thread full of information for other people to read who are thinking of going.

I'm considerate like that :p

Go from Hull-Rotterdam overnight - it's a long old trek down to Dover, and it's even worse when you're coming back as you are reminded of the state of driving in the UK :(
(You could even do South Shields - Rotterdam or wherever that one goes, but the ships are cack compared to P&O out of Hull - and the beer is a lot more expensive, €6.50 on DFS where as it was under £4 on P&O for a bottle of Grolsch - still expensive but it adds up, plus they're just better ships in general)

It'll probably be just as cheap as doing Dover/Calais once you take into account the extra fuel, wear and tear, and the fact you'll be shattered.

€22 a lap iirc.

We stayed at the Ringhaus (few hundred metres from the entrance) and it was cheap - Frank speaks english so you can ring him or do it online.

Insurance - No point tbh, unless you can get third party insurance. Most people would be able to pay for some track damage and damage to their own car in some way (loan etc) but if there's a third party involved and they get injured then you've pretty much had it.

The other way round it is to hire a car from RSR Nurburg or another company - RSR have right hand drive Clio 197s which means you don't have to get used to changing gear with the wrong hand. Just make sure you do at least one lap in your own car and whack a sticker on it ;)

I'm going over again next year when I've finished my exams - so if you want to go again then you should come with us (that goes for you too MrLOL :))

Cheers Naf. If I don't go in March then I can always go a bit later on in the year :)

Soldato
Be sure to check the opening times as they vary so make sure they fit in with your schedule.
The gatekeepers inspect the cars to make sure they are roadworthy and legal, including decibel checks on the exhaust.
Can highly recommend the Blaue Ecke hotel - there was an Yank Ohlins factory team sitting next to me at the breakfast table getting ready for testing, so they must rate it too :)

Back
Top Bottom