Marina Bay Circuit -Singapore Grand Prix 2009 - Race 14/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
how many places did button gain in the safety car pitstops again?

four laps was an advantage? lol you dont seem to understand how safety car pitstops work and why people rush in for them

if there had not been a safety car Button would have leap frogged Kovi at the first stop (due to going those four laps longer) and been able to drive at his more natural pace for a lot longer during the race

Because of the sc period, JB had to delay that leapfrog until the 2nd pitstop, so yes sc WAS a disadvantage (as Martin said during the commentary)

JB may have come out two places higher than before the sc, but the pace of Kovi in front of him was holding him back (as they both pitted at the same time just before sc period closed the pitlane)

not push the envelope as much. Its going to be about managing the car. No only Gearbox, Engine, but now fuel and Brakes.

So we can expect a lot more brake failures at Singapore next year then - management is one thing (and thats what made for a good race this year - fair enough) but with the added weight to start , FIA are just asking for trouble imo

Personally think this is going to bite a lot of people next year if size of brakes isnt changed - I think there are a couple of other circuits like Singapore which are already marginal now, next year its going to be nigh on impossible

Last edited:
Soldato
how many places did button gain in the safety car pitstops again?

four laps was an advantage? lol you dont seem to understand how safety car pitstops work and why people rush in for them

? He said IF the safety car didn't happen. Button did have more fuel so he would have jumped Barry in all likelihood anyway.

But it turned out that Barry's pit stop wen't awry anyway. He couldn't find 1st gear after the stop and burnt precious seconds.

Transmission breaker
Don
So we can expect a lot more brake failures at Singapore next year then - management is one thing (and thats what made for a good race this year - fair enough) but with the added weight to start , FIA are just asking for trouble imo

Personally think this is going to bite a lot of people next year if size of brakes isnt changed - I think there are a couple of other circuits like Singapore which are already marginal now, next year its going to be nigh on impossible

Well, not really... The teams will have to develop harder wearing brake discs/pads for next season. I am sure they are more than capable of doing so. This will probably reduce braking force, and require earlier braking, but thats always going to be the trade off.

Soldato
Well, not really... The teams will have to develop harder wearing brake discs/pads for next season. I am sure they are more than capable of doing so. This will probably reduce braking force, and require earlier braking, but thats always going to be the trade off.

Given the failures at this year's race (when everyone knew it would be an issue), Im not so sure this is right

Its the discs themselves that need developement if anything (Im not sure what benefit improving the pads would bring) - myabe you are right, Im just not sure how much more can be done (given that the most reliable car this season was even having issues)

Alonso to be confirmed at Ferrari this weekend?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78995
Which probably means Kimi's golden handshake deal to move back to McLaren on a mere £12m a season is sorted also

I wouldnt be surprised to have a whole host of drivers being announced / confirmed next weekend if thats the case if not before Brazil

But it turned out that Barry's pit stop wen't awry anyway. He couldn't find 1st gear after the stop and burnt precious seconds.

Im sure they showed Rubens stop on tv, and it didnt seem to be that significant an issue (time wise) compared to the gap between him and Button when Jenson stopped

Last edited:
Soldato
Just reduce overall braking power. Its a win/win situation.
Brakes no longer die during the race causing crashes, braking distances are longer = more overtaking.
Bring back ground effect, and make diffusers and wings much smaller whilst your at it please FIA?

Transmission breaker
Don
Just reduce overall braking power. Its a win/win situation.
Brakes no longer die during the race causing crashes, braking distances are longer = more overtaking.
Bring back ground effect, and make diffusers and wings much smaller whilst your at it please FIA?

Exactly.

F1 cars are run at the borderline of efficency. In essence, they are almost always very close to going wrong. Hence drivers having to move out of slipstreams to keep engines cool, changing fuel mixtures, and adjusting brake balances (ETC ETC) throughout the whole race.

The teams perhaps understimated the effect the changes to the circuit might have to the brakes. I would be very surprised if the same issues reared their head next year at this circuit.

Given the failures at this year's race (when everyone knew it would be an issue), Im not so sure this is right

Its the discs themselves that need developement if anything (Im not sure what benefit improving the pads would bring) - myabe you are right, Im just not sure how much more can be done (given that the most reliable car this season was even having issues)

I think most of the teams were asked about brakes by the BBC crew, and they didnt seem to think it would be an issue. So an oversight, perhaps.

In regards to the discs themselves, they almost need to go backwards in the development to make harder compounds for the discs, and reduce the wear rate. These problems also open up doors for ingenuity, and new ideas for braking.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really don't understand McLaren's logic in putting Kimi alongside Hamilton. What is the point?

Maybe they're hoping they can compromise Kimi's strategy race after race and he won't care that much because he is such a passive character?

Man of Honour
I really don't understand McLaren's logic in putting Kimi alongside Hamilton. What is the point?
Yeah, I don't quite get that one either. It takes McLaren back to having two big name drivers which we all know has caused problems in the past. My worry would be if they start taking points off each other and someone comes past them on the outside rail like Prost did to Piquet & Mansell in 86.

I would have thought that Rosberg would have been a better bet - he's quick, he gets on with Hamilton and he's a better PR face than Kimi.

Caporegime
By the same token though. If there was no safety car, Rosberg would have still been in front of button. All swings and roundabouts

Soldato

Maybe they're hoping they can compromise Kimi's strategy race after race and he won't care that much because he is such a passive character?

Well he drove pretty well as a supporting driver for Massa last year, and he has the pace to do well (when he turns up) something which Kova usually doesn't do.

Yeah, I don't quite get that one either. It takes McLaren back to having two big name drivers which we all know has caused problems in the past. My worry would be if they start taking points off each other and someone comes past them on the outside rail like Prost did to Piquet & Mansell in 86.

I would have thought that Rosberg would have been a better bet - he's quick, he gets on with Hamilton and he's a better PR face than Kimi.

I don't think Kimi would cause issues like Alonso did, like NathanE said he is a passive character and unlikely to stir anything.
I do agree that Rosberg would arguably be a better bet though.

Personally I'm not really bothered, so long as we get some good racing and unpredictability.

Transmission breaker
Don

I would have thought that he signed up knowing that he will be out the year after to go Rallying, and is going to be a number 2 at Mclaren and just earn a nice wage doing it :D

Soldato
I think Kimi at Mclaren will work fine, Brawn GP this year has shown that two decent drivers can work perfectly if they get along.

Kimi isn't going to cause any problems alongside Hamilton, Rosberg would also work well, but it seems Rosberg is already destined for Brawn, Kimi is also a known quantity for Mclaren, they know he can work in the team and they know that he's easily got race winning pace.

Rosberg might be capable of fitting into the team and even winning races, but that's not really proven as yet...

Soldato
No worse than other teams...

I'm talking about his inability to keep a straight face when asked about Kimi (and also blowing the whole Kubica-Renault story).

I don't think he has the composure to deal with probing questions, whereas even people like Domenicalli handle them better.

Maybe he doesn't feel the need for military secrecy, which is fine, but I'm sure the other teams don't appreciate his transparency!

(Great for us as fans though :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom