£6 broadband levy may be trebled for homes with multiple lines

Associate
Hold on let me get this straight!

This Labour government has a commitment, issued by itself, to make sure everyone is online with at least a 2mb connexion by
the year, <insert date here>?

We are also to believe that it asked BT Group plc if it could comply with this, the reply being sorry we cant aford to pay for the infrastructure can we come to some arrangement?
Sure says the government we'll charge everyone who has a landline extra cash so that you a private company can compete with cable at no cost to you.

Do me a favour!

If I was a cynic I'd say Gov heavy hitters are kneee deep in British Telecomunications, shares, which incidently used to be part of the post office before Thatchers Gov privatised it in 1981.

If the Gov wishes to make BT Group publicly owned again then by all means I would gladly pay for the upgrade. However I am loathe to pay for a private companys infrastructure to enable it to play on a level playing field with a competitor that had invested in it's own infrastructure.

In short,... You Mad?

Oi!.. Brown.. NO!

------

Soldato
Meh, the internet is amazing and from the amount of information and resources it gives me, £6, or £18 a year on top still makes the internet amazing value.

Permabanned
This is bull**** - we privatised BT yet the taxpayer is still being forced to fund it with this tax.

I bet if naked DSL was available in this country then there would be a huge demand for it. BT say there is not enough demand, but how many people know about the concept?

It isn't because £6+VAT is a vast sum of money that people are ****ed off, it's the principle of yet another rip-off unfair tax.

Caporegime
Just lol at those thinking they'll get speeds on par with Sweden or Japan for this tax.

It's not even going to be used for what they claim it will be used for.. it'll go into the same coffers as every other tax, i.e. "the budget" and be mis-spent elsewhere, whilst the "project" for bringing broadband to rural areas will go under-funded and we'll see another hike in a few years.

Caporegime
No but I'm not going to complain at everything like you.

I'm not complaining at everything.........this is just a stupid idea to fund something BT as a private corporation should be doing themselves not coming cap in hand to the taxpayer.

Let alone the government then adding VAT onto this. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I'm not complaining at everything.........this is just a stupid idea to fund something BT as a private corporation should be doing themselves not coming cap in hand to the taxpayer.

Let alone the government then adding VAT onto this. :rolleyes:

I agree that I don't want my £6 to go to the government particularly, but it's about 2p per day, not worth worrying about

Associate
So what % are Virgin Media getting to roll out their already fibre network to areas that aren't within their area.

It amuses me, a once nationalised company is asking for a tax from the whole of the UK so they can roll out a fibre network, to everyone, yet a completely private company can do it with their own funding.

Caporegime
So what % are Virgin Media getting to roll out their already fibre network to areas that aren't within their area.

It amuses me, a once nationalised company is asking for a tax from the whole of the UK so they can roll out a fibre network, to everyone, yet a completely private company can do it with their own funding.

hey aren't going to roll out fiber though, that's not what this tax is for.

Permabanned
hey aren't going to roll out fiber though, that's not what this tax is for.

Do you know how this may benefit people like me, who live a long way from the exchange, cannot get cable and can only get low speed ADSL? If fibre is rolled out in my area, what will it mean to me? Faster ADSL?

(not that me benefiting from it means I support this tax, I hasten to add.)

Soldato
I don't see what the problem is personally, I'm more than happy to have the tax introduced. £21.15 is hardly going to break the bank and at least then everyone (hopefully) will have access to superior broadband.

Caporegime
Do you know how this may benefit people like me, who live a long way from the exchange, cannot get cable and can only get low speed ADSL? If fibre is rolled out in my area, what will it mean to me? Faster ADSL?

(not that me benefiting from it means I support this tax, I hasten to add.)

yes it would mean faster speeds. however they are simply planing on upgrading the copper not running fibre out into the sticks.

Back
Top Bottom