"Addicting"

Soldato
Where did this vile new grammar fail come from? Seeing it all over the place recently. I don't normally get irritated by this sort of thing (indeed, I usually spew grammar mistakes like a machine gun when typing), but this one seems like nails on a blackboard to me.

Usage example:

I like this game, it is so addicting!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
May I throw in the monumental retardedness that is the usage of the word 'seen' when people mean 'seeing'?

I see it all over the place on here, too much for it just to be a random typing mistake :(

Soldato
Be that as it may, I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be used like in the example I gave above.

Or is it, and therefore in that case, the Oxford English Dictionary is fail too, because using it in such a way sounds pretty retarded to me.

:p I was just being a troll really.

Yeah there is a different way to use it, ie

1898, New York (State). Dept. of Health, Annual Report, page 371:
Mr. Johnson's communication states that the preparation "has a large sale, and is addicting the public to its use"

The other way of using it instead of "addictive" does sound stupid IMO but is apparently right. It's mostly an american thing.

Caporegime
Be that as it may, I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be used like in the example I gave above.

Or is it, and therefore in that case, the Oxford English Dictionary is fail too, because using it in such a way sounds pretty retarded to me.

What would you rather?

1.) I like this game, it is so addicting!

or

2.) I like this game, addicting it is so!

????? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom