Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Google should make it so you can plan your journey at home on the PC before you set off. Then just download the map of the journey to the SD card so you don't need a 3G connection.

The reason why they dont supply the maps is because it would take up 100's of MB's for all of the UK.

And I'm sure the EU would step in saying they can't do it for FREE as it would impact on satnav Vendor sales, like they have with Microsoft in the past.

Soldato
What happens if you need to reroute mid journey? I understand what people are saying but sat nav for free - you can't argue with that... ok you can! :p

Associate
Cant get PRemoteDroid working, it's really annoying me. I'm guessing it works on Desires, but I just get connection refused 100% of the time (using bluetooth with lappy)

Associate
Yeah, it's a total waste not having a data plan with a smartphone...what's the point?!

I'm loving the new maps, but as has been said it would benifit from one or both of these things:

1) More thorough 3G coverage in the UK.

2) Maps downloadable onto SD card

Associate
What happens if you need to reroute mid journey? I understand what people are saying but sat nav for free - you can't argue with that... ok you can! :p

Save journey to SD cad and download changes to the journey on the fly?

My data plan is 500mb, small changes getting back on course would be fine, but the downloading the whole journey wouldnt.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I can't see it causing issues if google allowed the downloading of the maps rather than having to stream them. That would be like microsoft getting away with including software with windows they have been banned from doing and then sayings its ok if we stream it.

I would think that you either can or cannot offer sat nav, the delivery system is pretty irrelevant isnt it? Anyway, I have a bit of a soft spot for google so ill let it slide if they do allow us to download the maps ;)

Associate
I can't see it causing issues if google allowed the downloading of the maps rather than having to stream them. That would be like microsoft getting away with including software with windows they have been banned from doing and then sayings its ok if we stream it.

I would think that you either can or cannot offer sat nav, the delivery system is pretty irrelevant isnt it? Anyway, I have a bit of a soft spot for google so ill let it slide if they do allow us to download the maps ;)

The decision against MS in the end didn't hinge on whether they could supply a browser, but on whether they could restrict choice by delivering IE free and exclusive on windows without giving users the choice of another browser.

Google know that the DOJ in the USA is looking at them to ensure that they aren't violating antitrust laws. I think they are wary of developing and releasing a free app that could destroy the business models of satnav companies.

DiG

DiG

Associate
restrict choice by delivering IE free and exclusive on windows without giving users the choice of another browser.

Well thats not really true, the problem was not it being free and users always had a choice, its not like Apple. The problem was its inclusion in Windows automatically and not presenting the user with an option of choosing an alternative (note presenting a choice is different from just allowing a choice)

Associate
Well thats not really true, the problem was not it being free and users always had a choice, its not like Apple. The problem was its inclusion in Windows automatically and not presenting the user with an option of choosing an alternative (note presenting a choice is different from just allowing a choice)

Well, that's what I meant - I obviously wasn't clear enough but that's my problem.

It was the exclusive browser on Windows. In order to get another browser you had to proactively go get one and inertia dictated that the majority would not.

Soldato
Just used this to do my journey home from work which is circa 20 miles and a mix of motorway, city, town and country driving.

Must say it worked quite well. It did map out a strange route which was, although shorter, was far slower. I guess they need a "quickest/shortest route" option like most sat navs have.

When I ignored the turn it wanted me to take, the system quickly re-routed me and gave me the route I would normally take home. Very impressed at its speed.

The directions come in plenty of time and are easy to follow. The spoken directions take a bit of getting used to and, unfortunaetly, it doesnt pronounce some areas very well but its workable. Bit weird when it says "erd" or "ard" when it reaches a roundabout. Obviously coded as "rd" for roundabout on the map e.g. "main road rd" or something on the map so the text to speech software says it in the literal sense.

The map is zoomable right in and pans round and updates very quickly. You can even have extra layers added showing petrol stations, cafes, traffic etc etc

When I reached my destination it told me "destination is on your left" and even popped up a Streetview picture on the screen so I could find the house just by matching the image on the screen :D

Overall, for free, the system is good. Not as polished as professional systems but then it is only in Beta form at the moment and I expect great things from this.

:cool:

Associate
Just bought the app myself but cant seem to get it working...ive set up my login details and when i go to try and record a program it gives me a network error...i have full reception with the H symbol...

Yeah. Getting the same over the last couple days. The app hasn't had an update and it was working perfectly, so I can only assume its a network prob on skys end. Sometimes peogram info doesnt work either.

Bit frustrating I know and you may want to get a refund, but usually this app works great! I don't think Its the app unless sky have changed something their end and the app needs an update to correct it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom