*** The all new Apple iPad thread - Keep all iPad stuff in here ***

Soldato
What do you mean 'proof'? Apple customer services have already confirmed it'll be covered when released in the UK.

The iphones specifially say in the small print that warranty is only available in the country you buy it in, the ipad does not.

Ah right :).

I thought Apple's default was country specific and that the Mac's were special in having international, whereas you're saying that Apple's default is international and that the iPhone's have a special clause locking it down to the country it was bought in.

Without sounding like I'm banging on about it (hey, for a 19yo these are a fair whack of moneys!) I assume someone here/MacRumors has checked the iPad small print?

Decent prices from Apple for UK customers! Tempted now to get a 16GB when they come out!

For people working out the prices you don't just get $499/1.47(exchange rate) and theres your price. You have to add on US sales tax and VAT. So a $499 = ~£422 using a 6% US sales tax and 17.5% VAT. Not bad price is it?
Erm, what?

Sales Tax is their version of Value Added Tax. The only difference is that they vary the amount around the USA (whereas we're fixed at 17.5%) and consequently retailers always advertise the ex-tax price.

So, using Raleigh in North Carolina (as that's where my source is currently) the $829 excluding Sales Tax would actually be $893.25 including sales tax. In the UK the price for the same (it's not even like a laptop where they change the keyboard) 64GB 3G iPad is £594.89 excluding Value Added Tax and £699 including Value Added Tax.

Back at the beginning of the week the exchange rate was 1.53 but right now it's 1.47 (yes, today we reached a one year low - thankyou government/voters).

$893.25 converted at 1.47835 (how it closed at 17:47:09 UTC) is £604.22, which is less than £699.

Soldato
Ouch, I drew the line at £400. Sorry Apple, no sale. Far too pricey for what they are. :(

I feel lucky I haven't been bitten by the bug this time. Hopefully they'll bring out an "iPad HD" at some point, and sell the current iPad as an entry level product at a more realistic price. I can wait.

Soldato
I'll probably start with the £15 3GB bundle and then see if I need to upgrade to the £25 10GB bundle after the first month or so. Also I should be able to benefit from Orange friends and family deal (will check out on Monday if they are allowing this within the F&F packages).

Also I never understand people like StevOBHave, 1) It's not that much more than the US and 2) Apples prices don't tend to change that much so unless you wait and buy one second hand your not going to be that stung by being an early adopter.

One thing to understand Steve is that some people spend their money on tech, some people on smokes, some on booze and some on fast cars or fast women.

For me I'd much prefer to spend my money on tech than spend money down the pub every night/weekend getting bladdered, but that's each to their own (wouldn't mind spending it on fast women, but wife wouldn't be so happy). Which camp do you fall into?

ps Steve, some nice photos on your blog, are they ones you've taken?

Taff

Hi Taff

I understand the spending on tech - I myself spend quite a bit on gadgets and the like but I find Apples (read Steve Jobs) apparent disdain for his loyal customers offensive. The tech is undeniably clever and desireable but the premium he charges for the privilage of using it is something I find hard to swallow.

My money is spent on things like photo gear (SLR camera, lenses etc), computer graphics tools (like the Wacom tablets and 3DConnexions Space Navigator). I have the HTC desire as a phone and a pretty capable computer but at no stage do I feel like I have not gotten value for money. Now I would love an iPad, I even said to my missus that if it came in at the £200-£300 price point it would be mine but at a starting price for the cut down version at £420 (which no-one really wants) I don't feel like I'd be getting value for the money spent. I personally think that the US price is too much as well.

Of course this is entirely relative to what people feel is value for their hard earned pound and some people do feel like they're getting a reasonable device for their spend. My personal opinion is that Apple have done a repeat excercise with the iPad as they did with the original iPhone. Pretty device but ultimately substandard for the value placed on it by Apple IMO.

It is only my opinion and anyone is welcome to dissagree.

The photos on both my blog and my Flickr are all mine. Thank you for the kind words!

Soldato
xD

None of ours better try that or there'll be trouble! :p

To the USA residents / importers, is there any difference (warranty wise?) between buying at Apple and buying at BestBuy? Reason for asking is http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/07/apple-retail-stores-run-dry-of-ipad-wi-fi-3g-models/.

No difference.

To answer another question asked further up, pre-orders here shipped so that they would arrive the day of release in the shops. I got my 3G 64gb the very morning that they were available in stores.

Soldato
A lot of you are complaining about the US-UK price but it's pretty clear that very few of you look beyond the exchange rate as to why.

The exchange rate does not dictate absolute worth of one currency to another, something many of you fail to realize is that for the average worker in the US, the wages are only ever so slightly higher than that of the UK, particularly in the southern states. In fact, for the average person, living costs are almost 1:1 of that in the UK.

So to the general public in the US, the price is actually more than what you pay. Exchange rates only work when you're exchanging currency, try earning $'s then tell me that we get the best deals.... How would you like to spend 875gbp on an Ipad or even worse, I spend almost $1000 every time I upgrade my graphics card!

Also sales tax is not our version of VAT, far from it. They are in fact looking at adding VAT to our products in the near future. However I pray that it doesn't happen, half the reason I moved to the US was because I'm sick of giving 55% of my earnings to the government then getting taxed 17.% on top.

Now admittedly I don't have much to cry about but still, I'm playing devils advocate here for the general populace.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very true

[ui]ICEMAN;16513832 said:
A lot of you are complaining about the US-UK price but it's pretty clear that very few of you look beyond the exchange rate as to why.

The exchange rate does not dictate absolute worth of one currency to another, something many of you fail to realize is that for the average worker in the US, the wages are only ever so slightly higher than that of the UK, particularly in the southern states. In fact, for the average person, living costs are almost 1:1 of that in the UK.

So to the general public in the US, the price is actually more than what you pay. Exchange rates only work when you're exchanging currency, try earning $'s then tell me that we get the best deals.... How would you like to spend 875gbp on an Ipad or even worse, I spend almost $1000 every time I upgrade my graphics card!

Now admittedly I don't have much to cry about but still, I'm playing devils advocate here for the general populace.

Agree with you 100%, the lower salary isn't compensated enough by lower living costs.

Though it does obviously mean that Apple are making a larger per-sale profit on UK buyers than US buyers...... but shocker as Apple isn't a charity! :p

Dad's got a few friends who live in the states but work for UK companies and get payed a UK salary in GBP. Now that is the life! :cool:

Soldato
Agree with you 100%, the lower salary isn't compensated enough by lower living costs.

Though it does obviously mean that Apple are making a larger per-sale profit on UK buyers than US buyers...... but shocker as Apple isn't a charity! :p

Dad's got a few friends who live in the states but work for UK companies and get payed a UK salary in GBP. Now that is the life! :cool:

Yeah when I moved over here, it was 2:1 and I was still earning pounds so that was certainly the way to do it. I can't complain about the medical career prospects over here though, being a surgeon here pays about 10-15x more than in the UK :o

Back
Top Bottom