*** The all new Apple iPad thread - Keep all iPad stuff in here ***

Soldato
Question to all you guys that have them:

What are your thoughts regarding cases / sleeves?

With my MacBook Pro I have the incase neoprene case, and with my iPhone I have the Sena Ultraslim sleeve. With the iPad and iPhone I'm of the opinion that I want the case to be more of a sleeve and only for looking after it in storage or transport. When I'm using the device I like to have it naked ;). Also I'm not sure I like the idea of a zip for the iPad.

I'm currently liking the look of the Sena iPad Executive Sleeve, but I haven't seen any in real life... let alone the Sena!

Soldato
[ui]ICEMAN;16514214 said:
I use the Apple one, it's great actually. It covers it perfectly and the lid folds underneath to allow you to tilt the ipad on your lap or even double as a picture frame stand!

Another question: You bought the power adapter? Or is the iPhone one the same?

Soldato
It looks the same as the iphone one but it's a higher wattage. It came with the ipad, without the wall adaptor you cannot charge it. Plugging my 3G into my USB ports just says "Not Charging" in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Soldato
[ui]ICEMAN;16514278 said:
It looks the same as the iphone one but it's a higher wattage. It came with the ipad, without the wall adaptor you cannot charge it. Plugging my 3G into my USB ports just says "Not Charging" in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Oh right, so http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC359LL/A is the power adapter that you've already got with it and the cord? What a con!

From looking at the photo am I right in thinking it's got the changeable plugs (from the world travel kit) like the iPhone and Macbooks?

Last edited:
Associate
If I buy a iPad from Ebay (US version) which doesn't have the original sales receipt, will the warranty still be ok over here? There is someone selling 64GB WiFi models near where I live for only a little more than they are going to be over here.

I'm really tempted to go out tomorrow and get one but this is the only thing stopping me. If I open it up tomorrow and have a dead pixel or something I would love to go my local Apple store and get it swapped on the 28th.

Thanks.

Soldato
You know this is a great toy to have, but I have to take a step back here for a second.

You're looking at probably spending £600 on the WiFi+3G version not including extras like the wallet and perhaps the stand. Call it a +£700

That is actually pretty steep... :(

(Dont get me wrong folks I would love one of these, but... £700 ... eek.
I may as well add a two tons and go for a macbook air or something :|

Soldato
Oh right, so http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC359LL/A is the power adapter that you've already got with it and the cord? What a con!

From looking at the photo am I right in thinking it's got the changeable plugs (from the world travel kit) like the iPhone and Macbooks?

No that is not included, the large white part is but not the long mains cable. I have one of those already though from my Air so I can just use that extension cable if necessary.

Soldato
You know this is a great toy to have, but I have to take a step back here for a second.

You're looking at probably spending £600 on the WiFi+3G version not including extras like the wallet and perhaps the stand. Call it a +£700

That is actually pretty steep... :(

(Dont get me wrong folks I would love one of these, but... £700 ... eek.
I may as well add a two tons and go for a macbook air or something :|
Yer... mad price.
Im still thinking of it as the big iPhone. £500 or whatever it is for the none 3g one, to:
*Watch movies on the move (which is very rarely)
*Browse the net while im sitting on the sofa at home (currently do that with my iTouch)
*Games i guess as well,

thats all i can think of. I have 3G on my phone and it takes to long anyway to even think of buying that version.

for that sort of price i could buy things which i would benefit a lot more from or use a lot more.
Hell my gaming pc cost £600..

So won't be purcashing a iPad unless someone gives me a heep of money :(

Commissario
OP
You don't need to use the iPad charger at all.

I have about four ordinary Apple USB chargers kicking around, they all charge it perfectly and so does the USB port on my Mac. The only kicker is that when it's plugged into the Mac it says "not charging" when the screen display is on so it only actually charges when it's not being used.

I plugged mine into my Mac Pro when it was down at 20% and went to bed. The following morning it was fully charged.

Soldato
Sales Tax is their version of Value Added Tax. The only difference is that they vary the amount around the USA (whereas we're fixed at 17.5%) and consequently retailers always advertise the ex-tax price.

$893.25 converted at 1.47835 (how it closed at 17:47:09 UTC) is £604.22, which is less than £699.

If you're saying US Sales Tax = UK VAT then surely you should take the pre-tax price convert from $ to £ then add VAT?

So it wouldn't be £604, it's £662. Of course it's cheaper if you use the US sales tax then convert, but then you're missing out the whole point of tax in different countries.

Back
Top Bottom