ASUS ARES ATI RADEON DUAL HD 5870 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD

Associate
Why do some people feel the need to be so petty?

Linking two ridiculous phones in a GFX thread is pretty dumb, regardless of what point you were trying to make.

I'm with Azza.

Associate
oh my god. I thought a 480gtx would become my new toaster. This takes a 8+8+6 pin? so in crossfire you will need
4 8 pins
2 6pins.

I would like to see cable management in a case plz. What about 3 of these cards? someones got to do this.

Associate
There must be a market for limited edition cards such as these, otherwise large companys like asus wouldnt bother. Plus they will be making one hell of a loss on these cards as they are only making a limited number like the mars. They are produced for marketing of their lower end cards.

Associate
Wow I would love something as exclusive as this, but it will just be replaced by something else in a few months, and the price is crazy

Soldato
Why do some people feel the need to be so petty?

Linking two ridiculous phones in a GFX thread is pretty dumb, regardless of what point you were trying to make.

I'm with Azza.

The point is not the phones at all & you clearly don't understand presentation of a point does not have to be presented by a specific product & the point was way above your intellect and again name calling because you don't get the point just like Azza & share the same mind set that is you don't agree then you must be rude and insulting.

The point is that you can take any product and make a very special Limited Edition that costs more than its functional worth and seeing as they exist in virtually every other field then they have a right to exist for gfx cards as well.

But some people seem to think that if they are not willing to pay for it then it should not exist for anyone else.

Soldato
Wow I would love something as exclusive as this, but it will just be replaced by something else in a few months, and the price is crazy

I very much doubt 6xxx exclusive will appear in a few months seeing as how long these 5xxx exclusives have taken to show up after the 5xxx launch.

If the fear of new exclusivse was a reason not to buy one then there never would be any in the first place.

The point is that a person owns one & not everyone can have one & not the point they it may be replaced by another later.

Last edited:
Associate
The point is not the phones at all & you clearly don't understand presentation of a point does not have to be presented by a specific product & the point was way above your intellect and again name calling because you don't get the point just like Azza & share the same mind set that is you don't agree then you must be rude and insulting.

The point is that you can take any product and make a very special Limited Edition that costs more than its functional worth and seeing as they exist in virtually every other field then they have a right to exist for gfx cards as well.

But some people seem to think that if they are not willing to pay for it then it should not exist for anyone else.

Make me lol some more please :D

Seems I struck a nerve.

Associate
I very much doubt 6xxx exclusive will appear in a few months seeing as how long these 5xxx exclusives have taken to show up after the 5xxx launch.

If the fear of new exclusivse was a reason not to buy one then there never would be any in the first place.

The point is that a person owns one & not everyone can have one & not the point they it may be replaced by another later.
TBF He never mentioned "exclusive" rebrands of the ATi hardware just the newt generation, which could and probably will be faster than this card, and at less than half the price. But I digress...

And this is the first time ATi have let anyone really play with the top ends designs, and if it goes down well maybe we'll have more choice than rebranded Sapphires in the future from the off, not just Ltd Ed cards.

The phone analogy was kinda stupid though, as that's exactly what this card is. Bling. In it's curent guise anyway. The problem I have is the fact it's too much. Not in price, but as a concept. It doesn't need the Ltd Ed crap and suitcase and massive cooler, the people who will get these cards are always sat at the top of Futuremark leaderboards and do air runs just to see if it works before they mount the LN2 pots. Seriously, this needed a padded brown box, a bare card (i.e. no HSF, MAYBE a Waterblock for the general customer), and prioirty shipping to them.

Granted there are those that will see it as maybe the fastest card on the planet, but those that might be tricked can surely see the faster clocked Sapphire is also cheaper, and this [ASUS] card is lost on anyone without better cooling options than air.

I have no doubts this will be the clocking monster of all 5970s, but let's not ignore the simple facts; It's still a 5970...

Soldato
1)TBF He never mentioned "exclusive" rebrands of the ATi hardware just the newt generation, which could and probably will be faster than this card, and at less than half the price. But I digress...

And this is the first time ATi have let anyone really play with the top ends designs, and if it goes down well maybe we'll have more choice than rebranded Sapphires in the future from the off, not just Ltd Ed cards.

2)The phone analogy was kinda stupid though, as that's exactly what this card is. Bling. In it's curent guise anyway. The problem I have is the fact it's too much. Not in price, but as a concept. It doesn't need the Ltd Ed crap and suitcase and massive cooler, the people who will get these cards are always sat at the top of Futuremark leaderboards and do air runs just to see if it works before they mount the LN2 pots. Seriously, this needed a padded brown box, a bare card (i.e. no HSF, MAYBE a Waterblock for the general customer), and prioirty shipping to them.

3)Granted there are those that will see it as maybe the fastest card on the planet, but those that might be tricked can surely see the faster clocked Sapphire is also cheaper, and this [ASUS] card is lost on anyone without better cooling options than air.

I have no doubts this will be the clocking monster of all 5970s, but let's not ignore the simple facts; It's still a 5970...

1) that's the problem with the view in the first place as its not about being the fastest for generations to come its about being the fastest & best of the generation which it may of failed & as if the person who has a £500 gold & diamond toilet roll holder is going to be worried about there are better ones without gold & diamonds for £20.
The rest is a matter of opinion.

2) i could have used many gold & diamond encrusted items from watches to wheels, but sorry i could not find a gold & diamond encrusted gfx card & yet no one has come up with a better fitting analogy but the fact is you got the point that its represents Bling & there is no one item that represents Bling because it can be any item but for some reason because its about a gfx card l must use a gfx card to make my point about something being Bling which is being Pedant by a few others.
What would you of shown to represent the card being about Bling when the card it self is not enough for some people to get the point ?

3) Bling does not have to be the best at anything but it helps & like most Bling items its just the same as the rest underneath.

I got the Sapphires Toxics purely for the Vram there where no cheaper alternatives at the time.

And thanks for the worthy response.

Last edited:
Soldato
considering the limited numbers of these cards being made I can only asume that Asus treats this a a 'halo' products to generate interest in the brand and hence the cheaper mainstream cards. I still dont get people who buys them, anyone serious about running a super quick setup would just watercool and heavily overclock two (or three) 5870's or a couple of 480's for less money and better results.
I wonder how it feels to be the proud owner of a Mars 295 card now? Still I expect they will sell easy enough

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom