ASUS ARES ATI RADEON DUAL HD 5870 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD

Soldato
considering the limited numbers of these cards being made I can only asume that Asus treats this a a 'halo' products to generate interest in the brand and hence the cheaper mainstream cards. I still dont get people who buys them, anyone serious about running a super quick setup would just watercool and heavily overclock one two (or three) 5870's or a couple of 480's for less money and better results.
I wonder how it feels to be the proud owner of a Mars 295 card now? Still I expect they will sell easy enough

You don't get why people buy such products because many people only think about the practical side of a product & most can not afford to think about anything other than that side.
If the Mars plays everything that the owners throws at it then they will feel just fine as they own a rare item.

Last edited:
Associate
In my opinion youre better off purchasing a standard 5970 and saving the extra money for the new Cards that will be out in the next 6-12 months. At present there aren't many games (if any) that will require this much power (Ares). Im currently running a Powercolor PCS++ 5870 950mhz Core, and i am able to play all the latest games at 1920*1200 with very decent framerates (60fps+ constant). The only reason i see for purchasing this card is if youre running, or planning to run multiple screens, if not, this is total Overkill!!!!

I've got plenty of simulations that will require this much power and more. Not everything is games -.-

Permabanned
How is the 5970 2 5850 cores?

5850 = 1440 shaders, 5870 = 1600 shaders.

All 5970s have 2 x 1600 Shader GPUs on them, they are just underclocked 5870s I thought.

Anyhow, I'm ordering two to go with my Rampage III Extreme, cant wait! Bet youre all jealous nah nah nah nah nah :p

Oh noes, wait, I misread. Its £1199.99, I thought it said £199.99 and ordered two waaaaaaaaah!!!!!

*Cancels order :mad:

How horribly expensive, I'll only buy two if they remove a 1 or a 9 from the price. A 9 before the decimal point that is, go do that for me NAOW!!!!

Oh sweet, never mind, I just won the lottery, here we go!!!!!!

Can hand my current PC to some homeless hobo since I now haz millions of quids.

Last edited:
Soldato
This reason its more expensive than the toxic 5970 is because this is two 5870 chips, whereas the Toxic 5970 utilises two 5850 chips, its faster.

Dont know if someone pulled you up for this but this is wrong.

The toxic like EVERY OTHER 5970 uses full fledged 5870 cores. They were just clocked at 5850 levels.

The Toxic is clocked higher at stock and will beat the ares in benchmarks at stock.

Soldato
I think that is uncalled for & i would like an explanation.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18149140

And if you don't understand or comprehend what is posted in that link, have the inability to abide by what is said then you are in no position to call anyone any such name.

£1200 for the best? Yet it's second best to the sapphire toxic which is just under a grand.

Wrong Quote ?

No its not the best but it was Asus intention for it to be but Sapphire beat them to it.

And i do own 2 of those sapphire toxics.

Lets see what XFX has to offer.

Last edited:
Associate
I've bit the bullet and bought a couple.

checkoutvh.png

At least shipping is quite cheap :)

Associate
Wrong Quote ?

No its not the best but it was Asus intention for it to be but Sapphire beat them to it.

And i do own 2 of those sapphire toxics.

Lets see what XFX has to offer.

You own two Sapphire Toxics? :eek:

What screen size & resolution are you using? Must be mighty fine :cool:

Soldato
http://futuremark.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130914

£1199.99 @ overclockers

Ideally you would want a dual card to be cheaper than buying two seperate cards. Even with 4GB though, come on.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...56&subcat=1577

Quote:
Asus really have outdone themselves with this one. Introducing the Asus Ares Dual 5870 graphics card. Unlike the 5970 the Ares houses two mightly 5870 cores under the hood featuring a massive 4096MB of GDDR5 VRAM, thats 2048MB per core. With base clock speeds over 125MHz higher per core than the standard Asus 5970, the Ares is 32% faster than the standard Asus 5970. With a massive amount of RAM the Ares eats frame rates for breakfast all day, everyday. The 8mm Heatpipe cooler design shows a 600% cooling improvemnt over the Asus 5970 stock cooling allowing the headroom for maximum overclocking. Presented in a unique aluminum case and a ROG gaming mouse the Ares really is the Rolls-Royce of graphics cards. Maximum cooling, maximum bandwidth and maximum speed, the Ares is the pinnacle in graphical technology.
And overclockers have really outdone themselves too, on price

QUOTED FROM THE FUTURE MARK FORUMS

made me chuckle still tho

Back
Top Bottom