Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Islam merely states that they must be covered doesn't it not any specific item of clothing.

Also Islam is set up to be very redundant in times of war or hostility.

Ie at war you can eat in ramadan, in necessary/forced you can eat pork, etc etc.

Changing to a face scarf + head scarf would hardly be a problem compared to them.

I believe that for public interest it is best if you can see people's faces. Religion in my opinion is no reason to cover your identity.

I would ask the people who think that the veils are fine, do you believe that the local chav's who wear the hoodies which also cover their faces should be able to cover themselves too? The reasons are the same in my opinion. No - public safety comes first.

So why not ban hoodies, masks, balaclavas, ski masks etc?

if you want security surely you start with the most commonly used item and ban hoodies first?

Baning this for security is like tackling speeding by banning blue cars that travel south on a Wednesday.

Soldato
There are several of these type of incidents,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6097521/Burka-robbers-hunted-by-police.html

Good enough reason to NOT be such tolerant woolly minded liberals. Apart from the fact that I walk around london and feel I've been transported to some third world country when confronted with these women wearing letterboxes and ankle covering black curtains, I don't see any reason to compromise security any more in an already dangerous society.

Soldato
I don't think you get why people are asking them to be banned :confused:

MW

I think this thread demonstrates that there's some discussion about the exact reasons why those who want to ban it, want it banned.

However, the fact that none of these reasons are actually good reasons that should be used for the foundation of a law doesn't seem to have occurred to many.

Soldato
So you are going to ban everything that can be used as a symbol, even though there is legitimate use and people choose of there own accord to wear it.

How? Aren't you making the assumption that all women wearing the veil are being forced to do so?

Not really. I was asked my opinions - and I find that the veil symbolises oppression of women. I don't care if they choose to wear it, I personally don't like it. :)

Soldato
I would ask the people who think that the veils are fine, do you believe that the local chav's who wear the hoodies which also cover their faces should be able to cover themselves too? The reasons are the same in my opinion. No - public safety comes first.
People should be allowed to dress how they want (unless a dress code at your school/place of work prevents that).

Soldato
Ban 'em. I agree with Ace on this. Religion is a poor excuse for covering your identity.

Why should I need an excuse to 'cover my identity'? What gives you the right to know what my face looks like as I walk down the street?

I'd go as far as saying that by default, I'd want my identity covered. Thankfully, my face isn't my identity, which is why I don't wear a mask walking down the street.

Associate
Then you have to define British culture, something I'm not sure I could do seeing as we're such a mishmash of various cultures and values and ideas. I'm not sure that all aspects of Islam are out of place here.

Bacon sandwich in the morning,
Taking the dog for a walk,
Some sort of physical activity for most of the day,
Stopping off at the pub for a few beers on the way home,
Having consensual sex with your only wife,

In other words, nothing to do with islam.

Caporegime
this is definetely not a change for the better. personally, i don't want to walk down the street and see this kind of thing, just as i don't want to see mosques appearing everywhere or timetables being changed to be kept in tune with the fasting of some religions when we can't even hold a nativity play in a school or put up decorations, flags etc because it offends some other religions. things like this need to be kept a close eye on before we lose our identity through fear of offending. its about time we spoke up for ourselves and had a fair say.

I'm sure our old pagans used to say the same thing when that nasty middle eastern religion Christianity turned up.

Caporegime

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6097521/Burka-robbers-hunted-by-police.html

Good enough reason to NOT be such tolerant woolly minded liberals. Apart from the fact that I walk around london and feel I've been transported to some third world country when confronted with these women wearing letterboxes and ankle covering black curtains, I don't see any reason to compromise security any more in an already dangerous society.

Right and what about the thousands of crimes committed in balaclavas and hoodies that span decades?

why not ban them?

Soldato
The main point is why should women have to cover up? In what way does this relate to God or Allah?

Christians wear a cross because it symbolises the cross Jesus was killed on. There is a valid point to it.

Women covering there faces. How does it relate to God/History?

In a native Islamic country I don't care what happens, but a country which is Westernised with none Islamic backgrounds, then anybody living in that country should have respect for the nationionalist religion/lack of religion.

I dont believe in any religion. However I don't tell others that there is no god. It is my opinion, but wearing a ninja face cloth mask is ensuring everyone else knows about your beliefs.

Associate

How odd. I walk around London and never once thought of it as a third world country and never once felt "confronted" by a veil wearer.

Who said mindless paranoia was dead?

Nice name calling btw. Don't win arguments much I guess?

Man of Honour
In a native Islamic country I don't care what happens, but a country which is Westernised with none Islamic backgrounds, then anybody living in that country should have respect for the nationionalist religion/lack of religion.

And how does a veil change that.

The main point is why should women have to cover up? In what way does this relate to God or Allah?
As that is what some women believe there religion asks for. Just like there is a 1001 denominations for Christians the same applies for muslims.

Back
Top Bottom