Your perception of this community

Associate
After reading a post that benneh made in one of the big 'ol race threads it got me thinking about how I perceive this forum. And I realised that while I do enjoy it, I think quite negatively of the community. Although admittedly unlike many users I don't spend much time outside of GD.

If you were to make a sweeping generalisation about our community, what would it be?

Mine would probably be that it's pretty condescending and narrow-minded, quite cold and hostile, very competitive/egocentric (everyone is trying to one-up each other). But pretty funny and relatively witty at the best of times, with bouts of warmness on rare occasions.

Caporegime
It's a good cross section of society, which is to say that there's a handful of people I'd actually like to spend time with, a bunch of tossers, and a whole bunch of people that I'm pretty much indifferent to.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
The hardware bits are usually pretty helpful if I have a query.

The forum on the whole is leaning slightly conservative ( I don't have a problem with that), although like real life, there is a fair share of extremists from both sides, and everyone in between, which is why in the foreigners thread ended up people with people who want to let all immigrants in with free NHS etc, vs people who want to kick all immigrants out.

Man of Honour
Funny, helpful, responsive and at times informative with a great mix of people. It does have its crap when it’s holiday time. The narrow minded, idiots, bigots and racists crop up once in a while but you know where to find them and you can ignore them just like you do in everyday life. So all in all it's a great place.

Soldato
I've experienced the good old OCUK over-reaction in threads, but I've also seen a great many really kind and helpful people!

Soldato
This place sometimes feels like a BNP fansite, especially when you have threads entitled "I'm sick of foreign people", and another in Serious Business full of people going "who gives a **** about Pakistan, they're rich enough to sort out their own humanitarian disaster". The forum colour scheme adds to this effect.

Also lots of keyboard warriors and armchair experts. Too often do I come in here, see a topic which I can answer with 100% confidence and authority, but my input gets drowned out by everyone else's incorrect or incomplete answers. And I don't tend to see that on other forums I frequent, perhaps because of the lower numbers there.

That said, there is usually something worthwhile to read in GD and Motors. Even if they are overly fond of Mondeos.

Associate
Some good people, some people I can't actually stand to see post. Overall fairly positive provided I stay out of certain posts which become overly opinionated. Too much I'm right your not attitude.

Very little respect for the over zealous/inconsistent admins at times.

Soldato
Like most forums, everyone jumping to conclusions by reading the thread title and not the actual first post, however this forum community is pretty intelligent compaired to a lot of other forums. Probably due to the age of the users.

Associate
Has it's snobs, narrow minded, egocentric, holier than thou attitudes and ill informed little Hitlers.

Then it has it's decent, friendly, highly intelligent, funny and interesting people.

Then there's Tefal.

Man of Honour
In a not so sweeping generalisation there's a fairly good cross section of the population here so as that would imply there's some fairly clever people, some who'll offer a sensible and mature viewpoint, some who're funny and/or immature, some who are at the extremes of any possible political, social or economic measure. Some of the people here will fit into pretty much all categories at various times but overall I'd say it was quite a good forum because there is a spectrum of opinions - I don't agree with lots of them but that's good as I'd be bored if there wasn't some contention at times.

It tends to be worth remembering that usually it's the most vocal and extreme that will get themselves noticed, the majority of people here are likely to be much more moderate and reasonable but because of that very state aren't as visible so it could be easy to pick up the wrong impression.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Up until recently i would say it just felt like a community having a laugh & helping each other.
Recently though i would say it's an advertising board for a company with a forum attached.

Back
Top Bottom