Your perception of this community

Soldato
You gotta be careful what you post in OcUK, it's abit like 4chan at times, OcUK GD especially, if you're not careful OcUK detectives can actually ruin your life!

OcUK detectives got me in proper mega trouble with my flate mates after they somehow got pics off their protected facebook and found other things, my flat mates almost never talked to me again.

Caporegime
Largely right wing, primarily male, casually homophobic, and typically younger than me. Very funny at times, but sinking into lowest common denominator humour that rides the line of acceptable behaviour at others. It has a decent number of posters who are knowledgeable on a surprising range of topics, and a decent number of outspoken posters who are considerably less knowledgeable than they think. Frequently helpful, with a decent array of good advice on most topics in between the humour and digs (but don't come here for relationship advice!).

Associate
There's a handful of really clever and creative people that come here, but they're vastly outnumbered by the number of folks that very obviously need to spend less time with their computer and more time with real people.

Man of Honour
I get a little narked when OcUK is singled out for race related threads because other forums often head the same way. To brand OcUK racist as a sweeping generalisation is untrue at best. How many race related threads compared to other life, sport, CPU, hardware etc etc threads ? Not many at all.

Every other forum out there has its members known for their opinions. The trollers, the keyboard warriors, the anti-immigrationers etc and we are no different in that respect.

I see a community here that gets help and advice when it wants it courtesy of some very helpful and knowledgeable folks with no thought of reward and with a sprinkling of good humour and madness to boot.

That is why, despite ups and downs aside, I enjoy being here and have done since 2004.

OCUK puts more value on freedom of speech than many other forums I visit. Some of the more vocal racists here would have been banned rather sharpish on other communities. The policy seems to be one of tolerating them and debating them, which is all well and fine, but does make the community feel a bit oppressive sometimes, especially when the debates come up every other week.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The moderators are all pretty awesome - apart from that fact that we're all Nazis on huge power trip. The standard members are a different story though, I find nearly all of them to be so uncouth and slovenly that they resemble mere peasant folk.

Oh and this place needs an English lesson.

Caporegime
I only come here for the casual racism and the other hilarious moments.

Wait.

e : I do actually enjoy the forums despite and not because of most of the posters. There are some who post who are not terrible people and don't post terrible things so that's good, I guess.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Too many people who only see one side of something, or see what they want to see rather than what is actually there. The upshot of this is that although the forum is quite a cross-section of society with its fair share of, say, right wing 'looneys' and left winger 'nutters', there are plenty of people convinced that literally everyone here is a Tory or something.

Or that everyone drives a Mondeo.

Soldato
This place sometimes feels like a BNP fansite

No worse than anywhere other forum. Uneducated thickos like to think they have a voice with their ridiculous beliefs and an internet forum is one of the only place they have the balls to spout their nonsense. They would not do it on the street, or actually reveal their identity, would they?

They are dealt with quickly enough. Tango Sixteen, Patient Keeper, White Mouse etc etc.

Soldato
Very useful forum when you need information on specific areas where knowledge is specific, plumbing help, electrical help, random big infrequent purchases (buggies etc)

Soldato
Genuinely helpful and knowledgeable in certain subforums, lacking in expertise in others (but the HDD subforum has picked up considerably from when i joined. lack of expertise isn't a dig, i'm just saying there aren't many people who are genuine experts in certain fields.). Overwhelming "moral highground" and snobbery on every "life" issue

Soldato
I like it.

However there are the people who will argue black is white which can be irritating and has made me steer away from a few debates before. Other people who refuse to see anyone else's point of view which ruins discussion.

However, the overall community spirit (shown by Secret Santa (even though a few couldn't play a long, it's still a good thing), the Meet Ups and people sending people things for free/cost of postage) is very good and I haven't experienced anything quite like it before.

The amount of people who are unable to do the smallest things in life seem to be attracted here a lot - though perhaps that just shows that the computer enthusiast stereotype is correct?

Soldato
Occasionally funny, mostly useful and coherent, often rude, with a light sprinkling of homophobia. One section I've observed to be ruder than others and less welcoming than the rest though.

Generally, its somewhere I like and enjoy contributing to. I'll sit on here for 12 hours while I'm at work.

Occasionally I just want to scream due to any or all of the following: rudeness, "I'm right and you are wrong and I shall never be swayed from this opinion even if you have facts, video evidence and DNA" syndrome, at times phenomenally terrible spelling and misuse of words, occasionally dumb posts, or misinformation spread by someone who is probably trying to help out but doesn't really know what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom