• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 580 Review

Soldato
So shouldn't the 6970 be called a 5890 then? or are AMD allowed to use disproportionately high numbers? ;)

Amd will need to increase there performance around 40-45% to reach the level of gtx580 where as nvidia only increased theres by around 15% so no its a gtx485. If amd can give around 45% over a 5870 then yea its worth being called a 6 series card not to mention the differences in architecture between the 5 and the 6 series.

Permabanned
Just noticed they are using the Cat 10.7 drivers for the 5970, isn't that the driver that broke crossfire scaling?

Techpowerup really need to get themselves sorted in regards to driver versions.

I think they've declined quite a bit recently, also, I'm quite interested in this review because he'd previously said a few days ago that they're not getting a 580 to review. I wonder what he's agreed to say in return for a review sample? I'm pretty sure "substantial performance increase" has something to do with it. :o :p

Permabanned
Amd will need to increase there performance around 40-45% to reach the level of gtx580 where as nvidia only increased theres by around 15% so no its a gtx485. If amd can give around 45% over a 5870 then yea its worth being called a 6 series card not to mention the differences in architecture between the 5 and the 6 series.

That, and the fact that they've changed their naming scheme (clearly of course). It's not like the 6870 has come out at £300+.

Soldato
Trying to get the card out before ATi so they can get some sales in methinks

Its ok Raven will buy one then when the new ATi cards come out he will switch again and have to change his forum sig :p

Permabanned
isn't that usually the norm?.. not this time, looks like they are fighting to be the fastest, no matter how much faster it actually is.

The point is that it really really shouldn't be called a 580. It's a GTX485 at its very best. It's changed about as much as the GTX280 changed when they released a GTX285.

Soldato
Well I'm glad the "GTX480 as it should have been edition" is out and about but really, it's nothing spectacular and kind of a kick in the balls to "480" owners in my opinion.

Caporegime
Yeah I still don't like that review at all really, as it does seem dodgy, but at least it gives some rough facts.

Not only that but notice how the 68xx cards aren't included in the fan noise graphs, so I guess the 68xx are a lot quieter than the 580 :p

Overall I still really hate nvidia as a company mainly due to what they do with the review sites i.e bribe them, or simply say that you don't get a card unless you do the benchmarks, games etc. on the settings we want in other words to make our card look amazing, a massive improvement, better than ATI etc. and also the way they probably makes games better optimized on nvidia hardware than ATI hardware, how ever ATI do some of this stuff probably, but in no ways as extreme as nvidia IMO.

Last edited:
Permabanned
But no comparisons to gtx480 in SLI? As I have just shown above, gtx470 adn gtx480 in SLI are stunning and your looking at 8%. You seriously calling that the gtx580 result as stunning compared to the previous cards?

Anything nVidia do, this guy finds stunning and can't help but gush over them. This is the same guy who has said he "loves nVidia", so it's to be expected.

Soldato
Well I'm glad the "GTX480 as it should have been edition" is out and about but really, it's nothing spectacular and kind of a kick in the balls to "480" owners in my opinion.

It would only be a kick in the balls if nvidia eol the 480 very soon and bring in the 580 at the same price point or lower. Somehow I can't see it happening...

I bought my 480 roughly 4 or 5 months a go now for £335, I have no regrets :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yup as I said before this is what the 480 should have been, and does not deserve the title 580, plus if I where a 480 owner I would actually be rather annoyed in some ways :p and demand that nvidia give me the 580 for free :D :p

Permabanned
It's in AMD's press slides for this quarters GPU releases, they have the 6970 behind the 5970 in performance.

In that graph, wouldn't you expect AMD to compare them in terms of best performance? They're not going to use games where the 5970 doesn't run properly (crossfire issues) to use as basis of its performance. In fact, they've probably and simply made that chart based on the gigaflop performance of each card, which of course will be faster on a 5970 than on a 6970 even if the 6970 was faster in games.

Soldato
The point is that it really really shouldn't be called a 580. It's a GTX485 at its very best. It's changed about as much as the GTX280 changed when they released a GTX285.

I thought the 6870 was faster than the 5870 until i read up about it, so it seems AMD have screwed up their naming scheme as well.. someone is bound to buy one thinking they are faster :(

Permabanned
I am not going to comment on power draw but i would defo say where noise and temporature are concerned amd will struggle to beat gtx580 as nv put in a lot of effort as thats where fermi hurt them along with power.

AMD have nVidia beat, badly, at performance per MM2, I'm not sure how they will struggle really. :confused:

Permabanned
I thought the 6870 was faster than the 5870 until i read up about it, so it seems AMD have screwed up their naming scheme as well.. someone is bound to buy one thinking they are faster :(

Possibly, but all it takes is for you to look at the price, the 6870 has an RRP of almost half the 5870. (£170). Once the Cayman based GPUs are out though, it'll make the whole naming scheme a lot clearer.

Back
Top Bottom