Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Yea i see what you mean.

I have another question! I see a lot of bikes with different tyres on the front and back. mostly less tread on the rear, why is this?

I run a 2.4 up front and a 2.2 at the rear I don't know of any particular benefit to running different sizes but as a rule, most people prefer more grip on front as they'd rather have the back sliding out.

Soldato
Am I reading you lot right? You want your weight over the front fork of the bike on descents and NOT over the rear wheel? Surely that's a recipe for the rear lifting or you going over the bars should you hit something? :confused:

Can someone explain this a bit more if poss :)

Soldato
Bigger tyre at the front as you need the most grip here. If the front washes out then it's one tattie over the side. If the rear washes out then it's easier to get back in control.

Richie, I think the lower front end/weight over the front is more a DH thing, some people like it, some don't. That's why you see flat bars on DH bikes more than a few years ago.

Man of Honour
Am I reading you lot right? You want your weight over the front fork of the bike on descents and NOT over the rear wheel? Surely that's a recipe for the rear lifting or you going over the bars should you hit something? :confused:

I find myself more steady and controlled on the descents with my centre of gravity to the front, being over the rear makes the front end light and skittish. I don't mean you should be sat on the front bars though :p

Soldato

If you have more weight over the front then it means you can stamp out rough terrain at higher speeds on longer travel bikes without losing control, factors like slacker headtube angles help to counter the back end lifting when it hits obstacles.

Associate
Dont put your weight over the front for jumps though! that only ends in eating dirt.
Also be careful if you dont have plenty of travel or correctly setup forks

Soldato
Meh, I only have a poxy 80mm so I shall not be attempting this :p

I can kind of understand your reasoning though. More weight on the tyre means it should cut through the crap at the top and hit some solid ground underneath making it less liable to slide away from you compared to it "sitting" on the loose crap on the top....

Associate
Meh, I only have a poxy 80mm so I shall not be attempting this :p

I can kind of understand your reasoning though. More weight on the tyre means it should cut through the crap at the top and hit some solid ground underneath making it less liable to slide away from you compared to it "sitting" on the loose crap on the top....

80mm I'd be careful. I'm not an amazing rider but I can keep up with the more experianced, and i have 150mm travel. There have been some landings where I needed all of the travel, otherwise I'd have been over the bars.

Soldato
80mm I'd be careful. I'm not an amazing rider but I can keep up with the more experianced, and i have 150mm travel. There have been some landings where I needed all of the travel, otherwise I'd have been over the bars.

Currently the bike (Hardrock) can probably do more than I have the balls to do myself (just started this MTB malarkey) :o

I just couldn't justify spending loads more money on a bike ATM so went for the best I could afford

Point taken tho :)

Man of Honour
Hamsterly Forest, its about 20mins out of durham. When im away from uni me and a couple of mates like to go the the lake district. Also been upto Glentress a couple of times, love it there!

How about you?

Local haunt is Dalby but I get about a bit. Thought yours might be Hamsterly its on my list of places I need to go.

And speaking of Glentress you should all look out for another OcUK trip this coming spring!

Associate
Local haunt is Dalby but I get about a bit. Thought yours might be Hamsterly its on my list of places I need to go.

And speaking of Glentress you should all look out for another OcUK trip this coming spring!

OcUK has an MTB trip???
Hamsterly is quite nice, it has a great black. Probrably one of my favorites as the climbs are also fun. It also has good downhill and a 4X track.

Ive been trying to get my friends to go down to Dalby for a while now. Is it worth driving down and camping for the weekend?

Associate
hoping to make the next OcUK trip if my new build is finished in time :D
got the wheels put on today so its now a rolling frameset, just need crankset / rotors / rear & front mech and some odds n sods to finish it off

posting pics up tomorrow

Man of Honour
OcUK has an MTB trip???
Hamsterly is quite nice, it has a great black. Probrably one of my favorites as the climbs are also fun. It also has good downhill and a 4X track.

Ive been trying to get my friends to go down to Dalby for a while now. Is it worth driving down and camping for the weekend?

Last year we had a Glentress trip and a wales trip but I missed that one due to a car accident :mad:

I would say Dalby is worth a weekend trip, plenty there to do with the red, black, world cup XC route and jump park.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom