phantom menace on itv

Man of Honour
Yeah i do agree the end to the duel is a travesty, Kenobi farting himself out of that hole and Maul just watching will go down in history but damn it was awesome getting there.... I still say Lucas should never have directed the movies, he's too caught up in tech and merchandise rights.

That's fair enough, it rather ruined the overall for me but then I think a lot of films could do with stopping slightly before they do.

Why the hell would you run out and buy three crap films just because they're on a new format?

To complete the set? I own some fairly rubbish films because they're part of a series.

Soldato
Just die George Lucas. die painfully.

Actually, he's got a point! :D

I don't think he should die, but he damned well should retire.

I've always maintained that GL is not very talented, but got massively lucky with Star Wars and that since then he has mistaken that luck for his own talent. He's been flogging the franchise to death ever since, surrounding by sycophants. The mass-merchandising is awful, too: I'm sure there will be Star Wars Suppositories soon, although right from the very first film GL wanted it to be toy-friendly, so he always had cash-in at the forefront of his mind rather than cinematic flair.

As someone pointed out, the best SW film wasn't even directed by him and his meddling in the latest Indy made that film into what has surely got to be one of the worst films ever made (relatively).

After George has gone a more dynamic and skilled visionary will eventualy take over and the franchise will once again be worth liking. Christopher Nolan would be great! Who knows who will be around then, though? What's for certain is that Gl will not release SW until his deathbed...

Soldato
So folks most irritating fictional species ever ewoks or jar-jar bink's fetid relations?

I never liked the Ewoks either, but for me Jar-Jar edges it for being an even more blatent cash-in, sligthly racist, unnecessary, out-of-context and for looking like a chef I used to work with who was a right ****. :D

Soldato
Confession:- I strangely enjoyed Phantom Menance this time around.

Also only seen the new Indy film recently and I thought it was quite good too.

Another confession:- I've always found Star Wars to be utterly unfollowable plot/story-wise and even mildly boring at times. Even the good ones.

Soldato
I totally fail to see how that double lightsaber thing is useful as a weapon. May aswell have two normal lightsabers?? The whole point of a traditional staff is surely so you can utilise it's length for long reach/pivotal power and grab onto any part of it,...I may regret phrasing it that way but I can't be bothered to change it now.

Soldato
I totally fail to see how that double lightsaber thing is useful as a weapon. May aswell have two normal lightsabers?? The whole point of a traditional staff is surely so you can utilise it's length for long reach/pivotal power and grab onto any part of it,...I may regret phrasing it that way but I can't be bothered to change it now.

...but...but...but.... it looks so badass :confused::D

Associate
Seen this on when I was at work yesterday. Have to say, it's the trilogy I consider to not exist. I find Lucas a rather incompetent director and I find Liam Neeson pretty cringe-worthy in the film as well.

I'm a pretty big fan of Star Wars by the way, before anyone thinks I'm just ragging on it for the hell of it. :D

Soldato
It's interesting reading Forde's post about Nolan, in this age of mass remakes could we ever get remakes/reboots of Starwars?:eek:

I don't think the old trilogy would ever be (or need to be) remade but I'd love to see what a decent visionary could do with the franchise. It would be great if we could erase the recent three films and start again, this time with GLucas stitched up inside a dead tauntaun while they're in production.

Soldato
I'm sure Lucas can't abide any of these films to be re-released on a new format without tinkering with them yet again?
Surely he has looked at the original trilogy and thought 'there's not enough bright lights and colours, none of these scenes have a dozen lightsabers in them, this Death Star approach needs at least a hundred more spaceships, look at R2D2 he doesn't even fly in these movies, must fix that. And can we reinstate the Ewok victory song but this time extend it about a half hour' and his team of Yes men nods in unison and commisions some more 'cool' stuff to throw in.

And I am sure that there were originally supposed to be nine films, that is, three trilogies. Was I dreaming that? I'm not, like, missing them or anything, mind!

Soldato
No, you're not the only one who'd heard about a 3rd trilogy either. Potentially, after the abortions of the prequels, sequels set several hundred years later with a different director etc onboard could actually be a saving grace for the brand.

I mean its Star Wars, its absolutely iconic, but the prequels were so collectively poor that it doesnt do the series justice any way shape or form, and wont help them remain in the collective mindset for another 20 years; a new series made well could reinstate the series in peoples minds for the right reasons.

Caporegime
In the review mentioned at the top of this page, it has a short clip from an old interview with GL. In it he says (paraphrasing).....effects are good but they aren't the most important aspect, a film with just effects and no real story is worth squat. Hhhhmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom