does God exist in space?

Man of Honour
Can you explain, in simple terms, one or two 'educated' arguments as to why god cannot reduce evil? Since it's a silly question in the first place, it should be easy for you? And try to develop your point beyond 'But it does include a lot of stuff and some of these suggest possible reasons why God does nothing.'

I've already said free will has a big part of it. then you have passages that say he does not reveal or interfere to show are true nature. Others belief it's all part of God vs Satan "war"

Good luck getting people to believe the extracts you draw from the Bible, when you have already debunked the Bible in the first place. Or will the bits you choose to use curiously become trustworthy and useful?

You debunk the Bible, and then say that it's got loads of great reasons as to why god does nothing to stop evil.
They are not mutually exclusive. I can quite easily state I think it's a fairy tale, but t the same time read it and come to conclusion from the perspective of if I was religious and I took the bible as scripture this is how I would interpret it.

There's nothing stopping you reading the bible scanning the web for differing interpretations and answering you own question. There is absolutely no reason why it needs to be from a Christian and if you ask a Christian it will only represent their point of view.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
His fault for what? if you don't believe you don't believe.The bible says he gave us free will for a reason. Undinable proof would kind of distort that a little imo and all the other suggested reasons.

It being too huge to be in a book :) (it was a joke, don't be so serious)

Man of Honour
And I've already said that free will does not have to be compromised if you use retrospective punishment. Why won't you confront this point?

I have. He no longer interferes, there are no new prophets (well apart from 2 right before judgment day). Retrospective punishment still allows evil and that's exactly what the bible says. In Gods eyes we are all sinners (every single last one of us) and less you ask for forgiveness you will die.

Since he's omnipotent, he can be seriously subtle about it if he doesn't want to give the game away .
Not if he is being judged by Satan and followers on both sides. Earth and humans is only a part of it.

Man of Honour
is this thread still going? God's not real.

And has no barring on the discussion. If he exists or not is pretty much irrelevant for most religious discussions of theological discussion. It's much moe to do with interpretation of scripture(which ever one you choose) and what it says.

Soldato
I found this on another place,
"Please give an account of the events after Jesus' death on the cross until his ascension that is consistent with all of the gospel accounts, and leaves nothing out."
I don't know if anyone can actually answer this, others said that it is pretty much impossible to correctly answer.

Soldato
And has no barring on the discussion. If he exists or not is pretty much irrelevant for most religious discussions of theological discussion. It's much moe to do with interpretation of scripture(which ever one you choose) and what it says.

My hair is a bird and your god doesn't exist.

Permabanned

Precisely, whether or not there is a God or even if the religions that ascribe to whichever interpretation of a God or Gods have any veracity or not is irrelevant to a discussion solely on theological scripture.

Whether someone believes or not doesn't matter.

Permabanned
Define God.

God by the definition of people who believe in him is not real :p

Until you can definitively say what God is then you cannot state that God is, or is not real.

I dont believe that the God as described by the monotheistic religions as an omnipresent creator, or any of the polytheistic religions that normally take physical humanoid forms are real.

The definition of God is given by the religions. It is not a requirement of the person who doesnt believe in their concept to define what God is.

Permabanned
God by the definition of people who believe in him is not real :p

So can you prove to me that he Hindu God Brahman doesn't exist?

I dont believe that the God as described by the monotheistic religions as an omnipresent creator, or any of the polytheistic religions that normally take physical humanoid forms are real.

No one is asking you to believe anything, but if you wish to state categorically that they do not and have never existed then you must provide evidence why that is your belief.

The definition of God is given by the religions. It is not a requirement of the person who doesnt believe in their concept to define what God is.

Of course it is.

You state that God is not real, you have to define what you are talking about.

It is not up to anyone else to define what you mean, you can state that a specific interpretation of God is not real, you must verify why you think that and if you are making an assertion of fact based on a scientific and not faith basis you must also prove that assertion scientifically.

I don't believe in those Gods either, however I cannot categorically state that God doesn't exist because I cannot prove it. I can however say that in my opinion they do not exist and here is my reasoning for it, and if you have read some of the stuff I have written in various threads against Adnan you will see that I give reasons why, including the etymology of most Indo-European and Middle Eastern religions.

You simply cannot just say "God is not real" or "You are an idiot because of your religious belief" without clarifying why.

Also "God" could mean just about anything.

Lets us look a simple example:

Most people are of the opinion that Extraterrestrial life exists.

Let us say that in Human Prehistory Earth was visited by an Alien Intelligence, to the small bands of Humans living in the African Basin they would have seemed like Gods. Beliefs sprang up around them and over thousands of years interpretations have changed and expanded, so Aliens become Angels, Arguments between Alien factions becomes Wars in Heaven and so on. In fact they do not have to Aliens, just a sufficiently advanced race of beings indigenous to earth (Atlantean myths etc...)

Now you can state that their interpretation of God is not real, but God was very real, albeit not in the form in which each religion interprets him to be, but real nonetheless.

You can even argue that the Universe itself is "God" and that all religions are interpreting is some form of innate connection that we all have. Even Dawkins and Hitchens are not so dismissive of Human spirituality.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Castiel, what do you think of the Islamic definition of God? Compared to that of other faiths and traditions you are familiar with.

Well, for one thing Islam stays away from the term "God" specifically, Allah doesn't mean God in the way most people think, it comes form the word "elah" which is gender neutral and means "something that is worshipped"

The Qu'ran says:

"Say: He is Allah,
The One and Only.
"Allah, the Eternal, Absolute.
"He begets not, nor is He begotten.
And there is none like unto Him."

(Sura 112.)

Islam is not like Christianity in granting Mankind the image of God, in Islam God is not an anthropomorphic entity, but an Absolute.

From a purely agnostic perspective the Islamic interpretation of "God" is (and do not take this the wrong way) very similar to the Hindu concept of Brahman in that both are supreme universal creation Godheads that are incomprehensible to Humans and cannot be seen, heard or thought about intelligibly and are the sum parts of the Universe and everything besides.

I have always found it quite ironic that Islam's "Allah" has more in common with Hindu's supreme Godhead than in either of the other Abrahamic interpretations of God even though Islam accepts that the Christian and Judaic Gods are Allah, but will not countenance the same form the Hindu Godhead, which predates all the others by thousands of years.

I think this has more to do with prevailing politics and cultural issues at Islam's inception than anything strictly religious though.

Permabanned
So can you prove to me that he Hindu God Brahman doesn't exist?

Why would I need to prove a philosophical belief in an ideology of what a God is?

Hinduism is mostly mythology combined with philosophy. Even a lot of hindus accept that their gods are actually mythical and not actually real.

Why do you believe it is possible, or required in anyway to try and disprove a yet unproven ideology or belief?

Islam is not like Christianity in granting Mankind the image of God, in Islam God is not an anthropomorphic entity, but an Absolute.

But a lot of Muslims say that their God is the same God as the one in Christianity and Judaism?

Im pretty sure that the ideology of God in those three religions is the same God but with different prophets.

Permabanned
Why would I need to prove a philosophical belief in an ideology of what a God is?

Hinduism is mostly mythology combined with philosophy. Even a lot of hindus accept that their gods are actually mythical and not actually real.

Why do you believe it is possible, or required in anyway to try and disprove a yet unproven ideology or belief?

I don't think it is required to prove or disprove anything. I make no claims to be able to prove the xistence of God or disprove it, but I also don not make claims as absolute as "There is No God", if I did, then I would be required to show why I held that belief and if I stated it as a scientific fact, then I would be required to prove it scientifically also.

Yet you yourself have said on may occasions that those of a religious persuasion must prove their claims. Well, it that is the case, then the same is true of Atheist claims that God is not real.

Back
Top Bottom