The "toy" for Christmas 2011

Associate
Lol - Buzz Lightyear is already considered 'back in the day'? I used to love Lego pirates and castles. As I grew older this became technic and mecharno. Got my first taste of computer games at christmas when I was 10 with a megadrive and looking back on it I think that was when my youth was effectively ruined :D

Nowadays I buy everything for myself, I ask my family and g/f for Pc stuff and Bly rays buy they always refuse to get me anything related to that so I normally end up with a pile of jumpers, socks, slippers and aftershave. Whilst that's nice and all I rather they bought what I asked for!!!!

Caporegime
My 6 year old is getting:

Lego Harbour
Giant Bakugan dragon that combines from lots of Bakugan
Various Ben 10 figures (with disc for his Omnitrix
A new Sonic Duvet set
Various other little presents

My three old is getting:
Deluxe Optimus Prime leader Transformer (I am more excited for this TBH)
Lego lorry with speed boat
Bakugan
Hot wheels
Transformers duvet set
and again various other little presents

I would never buy a child an iPad 2.

Soldato
Unless they have specific hobbies/interests, for example, my mum loves Twilight and my dad likes Real Ale.

Well my mum is into a particular kind of willow ornament. Thats sustained me for a number of birthdays/mothers day/etc. But shes got quite a lot of them now. Hardly any left in the collection she doesnt already own. Plus its getting a little redundant. My dad is even worse to shop for. Hes a boring old git in a lot of ways, hardly into anything. He doesnt even drink anymore cause he was diagnosed borderline diabetic and also has a slight blood pressure issue.

Still usually my mum will basically tell me what to get him and drop enough hints that I know what she wants as well.

Associate
CARS CARS CARS!!! My 2 year old is obsessed. Getting him a Mac Lorry (2nd Hand off Ebay) with 10 car toys.

Other presents are going to be Happy Land (again ebay 2nd Hand).

Before anyone says cheapass for getting my son pressies 2nd hand off ebay. We have got him a few other bits but you can get some really nice stuff for more than half price. We are going to get it £100 worth for £50 and spread it over his Birthday (Nov) and Xmas.

Soldato
OP
Don't you think second hand toys are a little cheap for Christmas?

I've still got about 3 years of Lynx and shower gels left over from previous Christmases (It's not that I don't shower, I just get an absolute load from my girlfriends parents. That and Jack Daniels to add to my collection.

My girlfriends dad is the worst person to buy for, he's diabetic, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't wash, doesn't read. All he does is watch football on TV. I tried getting him football trivia books but he doesn't read. He's impossible to buy for

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't you think second hand toys are a little cheap for Christmas?
For a 2 year old? He wouldn't know the difference. You would be spending the extra £50 for new stuff purely because you didn't want to feel cheap. Your choice I guess.

Soldato
OP
Lol definitely agree with that Morgoth, let their imagination do the work.

My neighbours kids are under 10 years old and they both got iPhones for Christmas last year WHY?! Probably not the correct thread for bitching but honestly, would why a kid need a mobile phone at all? Aren't ID chips enough?

I didn't get my first mobile phone till I was about 15. Although looking back now, I have no idea how I used to meet up with friends before I had a mobile phone lol

Last edited:
Caporegime
You're 30 years old
does your mum ask or do you make a list?

I haven't asked for anything specific for at-least 10 years

My gf forces me to send her a Xmas list, which is difficult as I tend to buy the things I want when I want them.

This year's list:

Shaving kit:
http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk...aving/_STA-SOA-NOR/268168/Starter-Kit----Soap

Black Badger Ivory
Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera
Derby Extra (10x)
Edwin Jagger DE89L - Lined Chrome

If the bundle isn't available (or is too expensive), these individually instead please:

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk...89L/268139/DE-Razor-Lined-Chrome-Plated-DE89L
http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk...ALO/268139/Aloe-Vera-Traditional-Shaving-Soap
http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk...-89P17/268139/Pure-Badger-Shaving-Brush-Ivory

Other stuff:

Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard N5901A
Pizza Scissor and Serve
Digital meat thermometer
http://www.melburyandappleton.co.uk/whirley-pop-popcorn-maker-63-p.asp
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s2-desktop-sync-and-charge-cradle-with-hdmi-out-p31477.htm
Any of the Sinfest paperbacks

Soldato
Our neighbours often buy 2nd hand for their kids, because they don't have a lot of money and had some serious debt in the past. But then at least they're being responsible etc and their kids actually get something.

Last year was the only time we've had to search and search for something for our daughter (who was 5 at the time). She is big into Toy Story and that pink bear from TS3 was the only one we hadn't got for her. We eventually found some stock in Tesco and went to collect.

They bought the package out, but because we'd had stuff wrong before I asked to check the package. It looked a little large - had 4 of the bears in the box. I saved them £150 by not just walking out but you could have made a killing off them on Ebay. I was tempted to buy a couple there and then.

Soldato
2nd hand toys for christmas?

Why on earth should it matter? Especially for a 2 year old.

Even for adults where is the problem for most stuff? CDs and dvds and blu rays are going to fill a lot of stockings and so long as the case isn't battered and the disk doesn't look like an ice rink then the content is identical. I couldn't get a new copy of F1 on the PS3 last December for love nor money but ebay came to the rescue with a used but perfect condition copy for half the price which means I could get my dad something else too.

Instead of getting a single cd you might want form your great aunt marge you might get 3. How dare she be a skinflint and get it used when you have to tolerate having more presents to open. Also think of it from a kids point of view. If you asked them if they wanted a new whatever and nothing else or a second hand one that wasn't in manky condition but they could also have other stuff too they'd take the used one.

back to the main question though

Even at 26 I still make a list, however its one I update throughout the year on Amazon so that my family who always insist of buying something never run out of ideas. I always try and make the list about 3x bigger than I could ever get to give me some element of surprise.

Having just bought myself Star Wars and Firefly on bluray though my list has only got a few PS3 games on it at the moment.

Why anyone would buy a child an iPad I don't know. Probably the same people who get an iPhone for a 10 year old though.

At 2 years old I'd give him a cardboard box painted to look like a spaceship.

And it would be glorious! :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Because the whole thing about Christmas is opening the box of your new toy as well, it's just my opinion of course but just getting the actual toy in wrapping paper wouldn't be how I would want my child to experience Christmas.

If money is tight (by no means are me or my partner rolling in money) then surely the responsible thing to do is, just moderate how much you buy your child?

Soldato
I don't really get a lot being a 27 year old from people these days, only about £120 between people, I do have some birthday money still and my savings, I think I am going to put some money in myself aswel this year as I don't treat myself enough and have hardly bought any fun stuff this year :(

Don't know what to get though at the moment :(

Might treat myself to a new HTPC set-up.

Back
Top Bottom