The "toy" for Christmas 2011

Permabanned
Why does anyone 'need' a tablet?

A 12 year old could use it to watch movies, listen to music, send and receive e-mails, browse the Internet, play games, perhaps do some homework on it, etc.

Does he already have a PC?

If so I'm sure he would much rather prefer an upgrade to a better CPU / Graphics card over a tablet.

I surely wouldnt have ever used a tablet at age 12, I was too busy playing Civ 2 and Age of Empires to need anything else :D

You missed of the biggest reason a 12 year old boy might want a tablet/laptop... we all know what it is. I wonder how those of us who grew up with the internet in our teenage years will deal with their teenage boys when the time comes. In fact it might be thread worthy.

Oh yea, kids these days may simply want tablets and other such things because they think they are cool and trendy :p

Soldato
OP
If he already has an iPod Touch, why the hell would he need an iPad as well? especially when you can connect an iPod Touch to a HDTV for £35.

It's not a case of him wanting it, does he NEED it? IMO it's justifiable if he has a requirement for one e.g. he doesn't have a portable device like an iPod or a laptop already.

Last edited:
Permabanned
IMO nobody "needs" a tablet, I think they're pointless, especially when you consider capacities/cost against a netbook.

BTW, everything you listed, movies, music etc... an iPod Touch can do, a lot cheaper, and a Desktop PC can do, a lot cheaper!

Well I use a tablet for all sorts of things, productivity, study, movies, reading, surfing, posting on forums and so on.

It is more convenient and easier to use than a netbook, the larger screen and practicality is better than an iPod.

Nobody 'needs' most consumer items, including net books and iPods so that line of argument is pretty pointless in itself.

Soldato
OP
I want the Lego Millenium Falcon.

I want the Lego Star Destroyer, and my sister's bf wants the Lego Death Star. We're going to rule the (Lego) Galaxy!

I got the mini Star Destroyer, Millenium Falcon, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Tie Bomber and a Snow Speeder.

Just the Death Star and an AT-AT to complete my collection.

I would love the limited edition Falcon and Star Destroyer but they're about £300+ and the Star Destroyer is huge

Nobody 'needs' most consumer items, including net books and iPods so that line of argument is pretty pointless in itself.

Not true, I bought a netbook because I needed a way of doing uni work when I wasn't at uni, so I could work on the train or at home or inbetween lectures. That sounds like a justifiable reason to buy one to me.

Just like, why do some people need 2 terabyte hard drives? to store all of their media and photos of course, seems justifiable to me. But when you already own an iPod, Desktop and a Netbook how can anybody justify buying an iPad aswell?

Last edited:
Permabanned
If he already has an iPod Touch, why the hell would he need an iPad as well? especially when you can connect an iPod Touch to a HDTV for £35.

It's not a case of him wanting it, does he NEED it? IMO it's justifiable if he has a requirement for one e.g. he doesn't have a portable device like an iPod or a laptop already.

It is a case of him wanting one, that is entirely the case. I have a Dell Streak, does that mean I shouldn't want or need a laptop, iPad or PC. I have a PC, does that mean I don't need or want a TV.....

Daft line of argument if you ask me.

Permabanned
Not true, I bought a netbook because I needed a way of doing uni work when I wasn't at uni, so I could work on the train or at home or inbetween lectures. That sounds like a justifiable reason to buy one to me

you didn't actually NEED one though, you could have better managed your time so that the need to work on the train or in-between lectures wasn't an issue.

You wanted one for the convenience, that is all. I wanted an iPad for the larger screen and ease of use over a Dell Streak and a laptop.

My son wants an iPad to play games and watch movies and surf the net on a bigger screen. It is more portable than his laptop, and his iPod only has a tiny screen.

That is justification enough.

Soldato
OP
Just how I've been raised, if I can't justify buying something to myself, then I don't buy it, I was able to justify a a £200 graphics card, because my current one wouldn't play Crysis at all. Simple.

Permabanned
Just how I've been raised, if I can't justify buying something to myself, then I don't buy it, I was able to justify a a £200 graphics card, because my current one wouldn't play Crysis at all. Simple.

:confused:

Who said there was no justification for buying one. What was your justification for playing Crysis? It's only a computer game, you don't need to play it.:p

Caporegime
She wants a replacement for her old laptop, I'm thinking if I trade in her laptop, even if I only get £100 for it, thats £100 off an iPad

I presume she has another laptop to use for her photography? I wouldn't be best pleased if someone sold my computer and gave me a basic tablet in exchange that i couldn't do anything photographic with!

Soldato
OP
I presume she has another laptop to use for her photography? I wouldn't be best pleased if someone sold my computer and gave me a basic tablet in exchange that i couldn't do anything photographic with!

No she does all her photography work on my PC since it's faster and can handle CS5 better than the 1 her parents have

Permabanned
I wanted to play Crysis, therefore I needed a better graphics card

Indeed, my boy wants to watch movies and play games and surf the net on a bigger more convenient screen while retaining the portability and intuitive design of his iPod Touch so he needs an iPad.

See, your argument is pointless.

Back
Top Bottom