Anyone think the complexity is ruining games

Permabanned
OK ill throw in a few examples.

FPS:

lets take old COD and old BF games:

think of guns/classes...

old:.a few different versions to go, not much thought needed and major differences between classes/weapons obvious.

new: so many different guns, classes, perks, things to unlock..what about actually just playing the game? you have a game to play that is not even in the game. and this game is choosing what guns, mods, perks etc..you are going to play with and level up.....

I mean I used to just put on cod1 or bf1942 or bf vietnam, select my character play with mates and game on........now its like wtf so much crap going on, so many different tactics to chose etc...

Sure it can be said this is improvement but its not so pick up and playable.

Football games:

Ok lets go back to early PES games. These games were basic and real fun too play, even master league.

Now, new FIFA/PES we have so much more options in gameplay and game modes...skill shots, tricks, game options, special defending etc...

Some things are better but what if you just want plug n play..just put on a game and play....simple fun?

Maybe im just being lazy but it was sure simpler to pick up and play video games a few years back.

Soldato
Agree on the complexity of online shooters. We get more gun choice than real soldiers, and there is no point in putting that many guns in the games because people only ever use the best ones, so the not so good ones never get used.

Soldato
I think it depends on the genre.

In a sports game, i feel complexity has ruined them for me. There are too many things to faff about with during a game.
I tried NHL12 and the gameplay is great but I found there is a bit too much too it. Trying to add in mroe real life options but it's a game and sometimes excluding real life options make it more fun to play.

FPS, i'm happy to have different classes but I don't think we need so much customisation. Mind you, I always found i only ever used a few different guns so just outfit 3-5 classes, save them and just selet them from there and never change them.

Despite the above, my favorite genre is RPG, and any games with RPG elements in them. In this, i LOVE customisation and want as much of it as possible. I want a great choice of skills, weapons etc.
The only RPG like game i've ever played where i found a little 'too much' customisation was Tactic Ogre. A brilliant game, but I felt like I was in the menu'stwice as long as I was playing the game.

Thing is, it has to be done right. Borderlands got it spot on for me, but in Dead Island the skills and upgrade system jsut seems redundant. Yet both appear very similar at first.

Associate
As a strategy gamer I'd say it's quite the opposite, simplicity is ruining the genre. C&C, SupCom, SimCity spin offs, CIV5, AoE etc etc. I would have thought more complex strategy games would have still had a place, even if a minority. Seems the current climate doesn't allow it. I'd love to see a modern Sim Life!

Soldato
Agree on the complexity of online shooters. We get more gun choice than real soldiers, and there is no point in putting that many guns in the games because people only ever use the best ones, so the not so good ones never get used.

Thats not complexity its just excessive content without any regards to balance. Known better as the quantity over quality approach. Look at Borderlands, so long as you get to advertise a huge number of guns it doesn't matter if 99% of them will be worthless.

Associate
I agree with your point on online FPS games but do not agree with you on sports games.

I used to love TF2 for being an old fashioned simple online shooter, now I don't care about it anymore. Too complex.

Soldato
My first thought was play quake...

But there's plenty of diversity, in games as a whole so you can just choose another!

Also, I really don't find it that hard to work out what goes with what... Generally takes about 30 seconds to build a class once you get your head around the first FPS with classes...

kd

Associate
Some games need complexity to keep them interesting Minecraft has redstone, X3 game have station/fleet management.
Yet I feel game like fps should keep it minimal after all i just want to kill something when playing them.

Some people hate complexity yet other love it. I am in the latter category. Sadly tho I agree with Lithon simplicity is killing a lot of games.

For game developers it is very hard to get a balance but when they do get a good balance you normally have a top rated game.

Associate
The original PES was brilliant, so much better than the Fifa competition at the time and it remained that way for a good few years.

Times change though and in my opinion current games are much better.

However, I do feel that the sports games of today are aimed less at casual gamers and seem to reward the people who put a lot of time into them.

Associate
As a strategy gamer I'd say it's quite the opposite, simplicity is ruining the genre. C&C, SupCom, SimCity spin offs, CIV5, AoE etc etc. I would have thought more complex strategy games would have still had a place, even if a minority. Seems the current climate doesn't allow it. I'd love to see a modern Sim Life!

This is exactly my view too. I am not fan of unlocks but it just seems that most games are becoming idiot proof or yet another skin on COD gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom