New Samsung S23A700D 120Hz

Soldato
Thanks Shuffle, yeah, I would love to see what it's like. But, it's nearly impossible to find out anything about this monitor. It's a steal in price compared to the 750d.

Soldato
Wow, a person who has this monitor!! :)

Thanks for the info Fallshrim. How do you find the monitor in general? Easy on the eyes? Good picture? What about when playing fps games like counter strike etc?

I will be moving from a CRT to this and it can compete well with the CRT when it comes to gaming.

Associate
Disregarding the actual screen for a moment, it looks a lot better & more rigid than the 750 & 950 (If, like me you prefer a 'normal' looking screen)

The screen is very thin, depth wise. Not as thin as the 750 or 950 though as it needs to accomodate the bog standard monitor stand -> although this does not bother me, the stand is clearly more rigid than the 750 which looks like it would fall over if you clobbered your desk or something.

One disadvantage is that you have an external power supply (brick) that you need to sit somewhere out of the way if you like clean wiring on you desk. However, this keeps the screen quite cool in comparison to my old one which used to get quite hot at the back.

The actual picture quality seems a lot clearer than my old t200 & the colour settings seem more vibrant, with plenty of settings to customise for your needs. The screen is one of those with the glossy finish, which you may or may not like. Personally prefer it, just makes everything look....better somehow.

The fact that it's also 1080 120hz monitor is the main reason I went for it though, first time using a 120hz screen so everything feels strangely smoother than my old 60hz.

The 3d is great, the fact that you can upgrade alomost any game into 3d brings new life to some older games.

I also find the 2d->3d conversion pretty good as well. Basically allows you to take a 2d image and 'upscale' it (using the monitor settings) to 3d. Doesn't look as good, but on par with most 3d movies you see at the cinema. You can do this with youtube videos as well (Although not noticeable unless the video is 1080p)

I belive the monitor has an onboard processor that allows it to do this, add that to the fact it only uses 4w more electric than my old 60hz 1680x1050 monitor and it was a no brainer.

The end result with this screen is pretty obvious, it is just a 23 inch version of the 950 & 750 with a non funky design, which makes it better in my opinion. So for those looking for more detailed info on the actual screen, you could look into reviews for the 950 & 750.

Soldato
Thank you very much Fallshirm!! A lot of good info there. I think you have convinced me to buy this monitor :) I am always nervous about buying new monitors as no LCD monitor that I have purchased before been any good. The nearest I have come to CRT is my plasma tv.

The only thing is that the S23A700D are not on the list of supported hardware for AMD's H3D, the 750D and the 950D are. But the onboard 3D that the 700D has sounds ok.

Have you tried any twitchy first person shooting games on it? Can you let me know what you thought? I hate that floaty feeling that I have got using previous lcd's, you know, where you don't seem to be in direct control.

Sorry for the late reply.

Associate
Regarding reflectivity it seems to use the same Ultra Clear Panel surface as the larger models we have reviewed - so that will give you a good idea of what to expect. As I've said the UCP handles reflections in some lights much better than your typical AR surfaces and certainly much better than untreated glass. This is based on numerous side by side comparisons with ASUS ColorShine, HP BrightView, Dell TrueLife, untreated glass (Apple Cinema Display) and various others. It is still very much a glossy screen surface though and it just isn't something that will be suitable in some lighting conditions (particularly with light sources or high ambient light levels facing the screen) and I completely understand people having problems with that. There are also benefits to this kind of screen surface and a large part of this goes to shape the image that the Samsung monitors produce. I think that it's an absolute steal at the current price. I haven't used one but from the user reports I can glean and information from Samsung it should perform very similarly to the S23A750D which a colleague of mine owns - he also tested the S27A750D with me and said performance is similar. So I think it should be safe to carry opinions on the larger models over to this one. ;)

Had u said that ultra clear panel is much better than Asus color shine like reflections ?

Soldato
Well it's not something that is really easy to quantify or define like that. How much is much? ;) We will have an article all about matte, glossy, in-between and potential future monitor screen surfaces up on New Year's Day. The comparison will be drawn between Samsung's UCP and other anti-reflective treatments in that article. In the meantime our S27A750D, S27A950D and T27A950Ds add some food for thought on this issue.

Associate
#PCM2
Have you compared Asus VG236 and Samsung ? And for you is Samsung better in colors vibrancy and have less reflections than Asus ?
Ok but the difference is evident for you, it's a really vantage against Asus color shine or not ?

Last edited:
Soldato
I was trying to dig out a thread as I'm sure I posted a quick comparison here, but maybe it was somewhere else. In short the Samsung does offer richer and more vibrant colours alongside a better colour range than the ASUS. You can see the difference in reflectivitiy for yourself by checking out the reviews mentioned on the previous page. The Dell TruLife surface is very similar in its reflective properties to the ASUS ColorShine (I know as I've used them side-by-side) and you can clearly see the Samsung is less reflective under the same lighting conditions. It is still very much a glossy screen surface, the Ultra Clear Panel, there is no denying that. This will all be explained in that upcoming article.

Soldato
and Have the samsung s23a700d a good low minimum brightness or too high ?

It depends how you define 'low'. I'm not really sure on the S23A700D but the S27A750D has a very good luminance adjustment range (>260 cd/m2) and a minimum luminance of just under 80 cd/m2 in standard mode. By entering a MagicAngle mode it is possible to dim this further (I believe to around 50 cd/m2 but I haven't measured it). I would expect the S23A700D to have a similar minimum luminance if not one that is slightly lower. You shouldn't have any issues with the image being too bright at low brightness settings.

Associate
yes around 70-80cd/m2 ( also lower is better ).
I'm sensible and between Asus VG236H and Samsung s23a700D i prefer a lower minimun brightness to less reflections. :cool:

There's new Benq XL2420T and ASUS VG278H but this models have a minimum bright respectively 128 and 140 cd/m2 :( and i dont think that its possible to fix it whit contrast setting in the OSD. :rolleyes:

Associate
why the 700D series is much cheaper than 950D or 750D ?
what is the reason ?

700D have same panel + integrate 3D converter + 3D glass in bundle
Only difference is the inputs port ( only 2 port = DVI and HDMI ) and cheaper chassis.

I can understand the difference whit 950D that have many inputs port, but the s23a750d is worst whit same 2 inputs but whit only DP for 120Hz ( worst than 700D that use DVI ). Have some special features or functionalitys in OSD that i dont know ?

The expensive cost is for only design ? i dont think.

:confused::confused::confused:

Back
Top Bottom