Wii U

Soldato
786 shared between CPU and GPU is a tad low though.

I think that until the other new consoles launch it'll be enough but the other two would easily drop with 2gb which would mean that the ram will be the limiting factor for WiiU ports.

Nintendo probably wants this machine to accept all the 3rd party games like COD and GTA and so on but I wonder how long support will last if sales are low of that particular software if there are enough noticeable differences from the Xbox/PS4 versions.

Soldato
The whole idea is a shambles. A six month head start and 50% extra power will mean nothing when the next generation of consoles comes out. A desperate move by a desperate company IMO.

Man of Honour
The whole idea is a shambles. A six month head start and 50% extra power will mean nothing when the next generation of consoles comes out. A desperate move by a desperate company IMO.

Why are they desperate? They are still absolutely thrashing Microsoft and Sony's gaming divisions... absolutely.

Soldato

I don't get the Wii, and I have no love for Nintendo franchises as a whole. But the Wii outsold both of the other consoles and made MUCH more money for the company than the others did and it was just 2 game cubes strapped together.

Everyone said that it wouldn't sell because of the stupid waggle and the crappy graphics and lo and behold they were wrong.

Associate
As a PC gamer, I still dig the Wii, and am looking forward to what games the Wii U has to offer. Nintendo consistently make games that are fun and enjoyable to play. For bigger scoped games, graphical showcases, and some specific genres, I use my PC.

I think the majority of people with more powerful consoles in the home find no use for the Wii.

I personally do not care what the internal specs for the Wii U are. If the games are good, I'll buy one. If the games are tat, I won't. They have learned that lesson with the 3DS I hope.

Soldato
Why are they desperate? They are still absolutely thrashing Microsoft and Sony's gaming divisions... absolutely.

Nintendo to me are in a tough position right now. The hardcore market that they largely lost won't buy this or at least they only will as a stop gap till the NextBox/ps4. As for the casual Market well I can't help thinking the success of the wii was a one off. The attach rate of buyers to games bought was and still is extremely low, how many family's do you know where the wii is just gathering dust? The unique controller just seems like a desperate attempt to be different for difference sake I don't think it will add much for either group. Lastly I don't think the casual Market will want to upgrade their wii for them it will be a lot of money for extra graphics they dont feel they need. I can imagine on news of the wiiu people thinking 'well we already have a wii".

To the hardcore Market once the new consoles are out with likely massive, massive power/ features they won't want to know about the wii u. Cross platform games from third party publishers arn't going to want to port their multi platform games across as they would need a lot of work to work on a 'low spec system' and more than likely they will look terrible compared to their console brethren.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest, whilst it's a shame it won't play BD/DVD, it doesn't NEED to, and if it keeps machine costs down, then it's understandable.

As to whether Nintendo will recoup some of the lost hardcore crowd; that'll depend on the games, if they pull out enough of the big names, and get some decent third party software, many may well come back.

Like or dislike it, but Nintendo games are cloned by a huge number of other games designers for a reason; and there's a market out there for technically accomplished Zelda/Metroid etc titles, with the graphics and sounds that the Wii can't provide. The news about no hardware upscaling for the Wii is a shame though; hopefully they do include something, even if it's not directly done in hardware.

XPE

XPE

Soldato

God its like 2006 all over again

Do you think MS and sony haven’t looked at Nintendo massive sales over the last few years and thought why do they need a massive boast in power for there next gen.

As for your hardcore Market (god I despise that word) they are really not that different from your casual crowd, they are mindless drone's that will by any thing that is marketed to them, all Nintendo have to do is market it correctly and it will sell.

Soldato
Let's not forget the casual market took everyone by surprise last time around, I'm sure Sony and Microsoft won't be playing catch up this time. Like I said the wii might have sold well but that's not the be all and end all it did have significant problems especially with the traditional Market. Of course Microsoft and Sonys consoles are going to be a lot more powerful they need to give consumers and developers good reasons for switching from the large current gen markets. By your logic the 3DS would have been a run away success as well based on the sales on the DS.

Soldato
The thing is, I couldn't not get the next Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Mario Kart/F-Zero etc etc. They're usually the best things released that year. How could any gamer? :)

Soldato
The thing is, I couldn't not get the next Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Mario Kart/F-Zero etc etc. They're usually the best things released that year. How could any gamer? :)

I don't know I loved the n64 and all the nintendo franchises back then but for me at least it just feels like the games arnt aimed at me anymore. Much like Disney it was great playing/watching them at a certain age but as an adult playing them while still an enjoyable experience I would be lying if I said there wasnt a large disconnect. Generally speaking Sony and Microsoft have grown up with the Market while Nintendo aims for a younger type of player year after year. Nothing wrong with that of course.

Last edited:
Soldato

I have a hunch the Wii U won't be anywhere near as successful as the Wii was. I think Nintendo's best days are behind them. The Wii U just doesn't seem as accessible which is going to hurt it badly. Can't imagine grandad doing this big ugly tablet malarky.

This is firmly a not-quite-so-casual affair, and Nintendo are already showing classic signs of schizophrenia with their intended target demographic. It seems every week I hear some unsure hesitant statement of intent about awkwardly reaching to this little boy or that middle-aged woman or this 'hardcore' gamer...

Soldato
The WiiU probably won't be as successfuly as the Wii, but then it probably doesn't NEED to be. Nintendo made a massive amount of money from this generation; and it'll likely hold them through any tight times quite easily.

Nintendo may be eccentric and somewhat schizophrenic in thier approach, but something to remember is that they're still in the console business, something none of thier early rivals can state; if anything, even if they don't always appeal to everyone, they usually manage to find some sort of market.

If the WiiU even brings back some of the more demanding/traditional userbase, I think they'll see it as a success, even if a lot of the Wii casuals don't follow along.

Soldato
I don't know I loved the n64 and all the nintendo franchises back then but for me at least it just feels like the games arnt aimed at me anymore. Much like Disney it was great playing/watching them at a certain age but as an adult playing them while still an enjoyable experience I would be lying if I said there wasnt a large disconnect. Generally speaking Sony and Microsoft have grown up with the Market while Nintendo aims for a younger type of player year after year. Nothing wrong with that of course.

I find i've gone full circle and have ended up back where I started with Nintendo as I grow older. They tend to focus more on gameplay than other developers and cater more for the gamer in me that grew up with video games before they became mainstream and riddled with cutscenes and cleavage.

Soldato
If the WiiU even brings back some of the more demanding/traditional userbase, I think they'll see it as a success, even if a lot of the Wii casuals don't follow along.

Say a year after the ps4, 720 is out can you see many of that demographic using that console as their primary? I just can't see it myself and just see another underpowered console with a couple of good games all made by Nintendo. :)

Soldato
The WiiU probably won't be as successfuly as the Wii, but then it probably doesn't NEED to be. Nintendo made a massive amount of money from this generation; and it'll likely hold them through any tight times quite easily.

Nintendo may be eccentric and somewhat schizophrenic in thier approach, but something to remember is that they're still in the console business, something none of thier early rivals can state; if anything, even if they don't always appeal to everyone, they usually manage to find some sort of market.

Didn't Nintendo lose billions last financial quarter?

Back
Top Bottom