Militarism and London 2012 Olympics

Man of Honour
And they will be working for a security company - so they will be working for a civilian organisation, but in uniform and have their own command structure in place. It's going to be interesting.

Caporegime
i mean the world is bankrupt and they are not stopping

Interesting turn of phrase if the whole world is bankrupt then who does it owe money to?

Unless it's the national bank of the milky way then the world can't really be bankrupt with a closed system, just for once you're not on the top side.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;20809345 said:
Where have all the conspiracy theorists come from lately? They are everywhere these days.

Indeed, it makes you wish we did have the totalitarian police state they claim we have just so they'd be silenced by the thought police.

Sadly until that happenes we'll have to just put up with them.

Soldato
This isn't anything new or unique to Britain. Every Olympic games since Atlanta has had SAMs deployed in case of plane hijacks.

OP needs to put down the crack pipe and lay off the Conspiracy Theory channels on youtube.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20810870 said:

For a very small example , if I lent you £100 and said pay me back £110 in a month, that extra £10 debt has just come from nowhere? Surely when a bank lends you £xx,xxxx and asks for more back it's the same thing?

On a global scale would that mean there is more debt than money to repay it?

I am probably horribly wrong which is why I put a question mark.

Man of Honour
How can that be? Does this mean the soldiers get paid twice? Also can the private security firms really afford HMS Ocean and Typhoon jets?

No idea, I just remember reading that they are being subcontracted by a private firm - whether or not they are paid twice or just seconded for the time the olympics are on I couldn't tell you. Pretty sure I read it in the FT.

Man of Honour
No idea, I just remember reading that they are being subcontracted by a private firm - whether or not they are paid twice or just seconded for the time the olympics are on I couldn't tell you. Pretty sure I read it in the FT.

Without knowing for definite I'd hazard a guess that they'd simply be seconded rather than getting paid twice i.e. you lads are reporting to this company for the duration of the Olympics, you do what they tell you and you'll get your normal wages as normal (maybe plus overtime if that exists in the armed forces now?).

It works out cheaper overall than employing private security firms and there isn't an issue with getting enough security personnel that are trained to a sufficient degree if you're employing the armed forces to provide the cover - they're already trained above and beyond what is needed.

Two war ships as well?

What are they going to do?

Have you taken a look at the Olympic site? It's right on the Thames so to have no security measures on the water would seem a shade foolish - I don't know exactly what capability they propose to have but to have some sort of facility for security would be sensible.

Back
Top Bottom