• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
Everything I can find suggests it is a reference card. Or at least teh one pictured is a reference card

Yeah, I know it's of reference design, but I really want to know whether the components used to construct said design are of decent quality.

From past experiences they're poorly constructed and the fans are noisy even at low rpm. This was a cheapy cheapy 5770 from 2 years ago though, so they may use better quality components these days.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I know it's of reference design, but I really want to know whether the components used to construct said design are of decent quality.

From past experiences they're poorly constructed and the fans are noisy even at low rpm. This was a cheapy cheapy 5770 from 2 years ago though, so they may use better quality components these days.
All reference cards will be built to exactly the same specification. VTX, Powercolor etc just slap different stickers on them and design their own packaging. Infact, my VTX card doesn't even have a VTX label on it (it is straight off the reference production line).

Currently, I believe most (if not all all) 7850's have reference PCB's. Sapphire, ASUS and MSI stick non-reference coolers on them, but the PCB's use the same components. It usually takes a few months before OEM's start getting creative and cutting component costs.

Soldato
All reference cards will be built to exactly the same specification. VTX, Powercolor etc just slap different stickers on them and design their own packaging. Infact, my VTX card doesn't even have a VTX label on it (it is straight off the reference production line).

Currently, I believe most (if not all all) 7850's have reference PCB's. Sapphire, ASUS and MSI stick non-reference coolers on them, but the PCB's use the same components. It usually takes a few months before OEM's start getting creative and cutting component costs.

Nickjf20 -This is what I was trying to say about things being 'reference'. Cheers for confirming they are reference cards dude!

Soldato
OP
anyone running a reference card? any noticable fan noise difference compared with say a sapphire non ref cooler?
I have a reference card and can honnestly say it is very very quiet. Only when I overclock massively does the fan crank up to noticeable levels, and even then it is not too bad.

I imagine that the Sapphire and MSI Frozr's are better for extreme overclocks, but the reference cards are pretty good for those on a tighter budget.

Associate
Many reviewa show a 7850 overclocked to 1050MHz equalling a stock 7870 @ 1000MHz. That mean clock for clock a 7870 is only very slightly faster.

Stock speeds
Stock 7870 = 1000/4800
Stock 7850 = 860/4800
difference = ~20%

before GPU Tweak allowed unlocking average overclocks

OC 7870 = ~1250/5600
OC 7850 = ~1050/5600
difference = ~25%

with GPU Tweak unlocked overclocks

OC 7870 = ~1250/5600
OC 7850 = ~1250/5600
difference = 6-8%

It is not that 7870 no longer overclocks better, it is more that 7850 now overclock just as well. The 7870 is not worth 40% more money for just 6-8% performance.

damn... reading this made me have doubts on buying a 7870 :confused:

Soldato
7850 is defo the sub £200 card to get. At stock the 6970 is 5-10% faster, but the 7850 overclocks by >40% and you'll be lucky to get 10% more out of the 6970. As this is an overclockers forums, there are very few here who would argue that the 7850 isn't better.

I remember getting flamed in the other thread for saying the HD 7850 2Gb was a better buy than the EVGA GTX 480 at £185.. Turns out I was right haha :p

Soldato
OP
I remember getting flamed in the other thread for saying the HD 7850 2Gb was a better buy than the EVGA GTX 480 at £185.. Turns out I was right haha :p
Perhaps that was before anyone had pushed the 7850's past the 1050MHz barrier:D. An extra 200MHz is what launches these cards past the 480 and into the stock 580 league.

This and an overclocked 480 will probably offer very similar performance, however this will obviously run much cooler, quieter, suck less juice, and have the extra 512mb VRAM.

Soldato
Mine is now showing as awiting dispatch! Yay

On the driver front, do I just grab the latest off AMD's site or do I have to use the disc?

I remember when the 6850 first came out drivers were iffy for a few months!?!

Associate
Soldato
Ok cool. Will just uninstallin gmy nvidia drivers be fine? WOuld prefer not to use drivesweeper etc

Nick you bought one yet? Just ahd email back off ocuk confirming they are reference in case you still worried? ;)

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Yeah just uninstall nVidia drivers, delete the nvidia folder from your hdd, then power down and remove the card. New card in, power up, 12.3 WHQL/12.4 Beta's and away you go.

Back
Top Bottom