• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
I'm even more on the fence now that I've seen these overclocking results and the offer of Dirt 3 !

I've currently got a VTX3D 5770 which is a noisy little thing that causes catalyst to crash with even the mildest overclock.

I'm just worried that the VTX3D 7850 isn't worth the £20 difference between it and the MSI, and I'd be better going with the better quality MSI or a Sapphire model.
Maybe VTX have upped their game, but judging from past experiences they cut too many corners.

On a sidenote, I've got a Lite-On 450W PSU with 18.5A on each of 2 rails with a combined max of 32A so I'm hoping this will be ok. I'm running an i7-920 at stock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just did a unigine run with the system in me sig and got:

FPS 38.8
score 977
min fps 25.5
max fps 80.7

Going by the scores attained by 555BUK and Hex, then providing you overclock, getting one of these to replace an unlocked 6950 is a no brainer really. Not only that but the Xfire possibilities are nice due to only one power socket used per card.

Associate
Noob question here, I've never overclocked before lol.

Does overclocking void your warranty.. because I was waiting for the 670 but I'm considering getting one of these and OC'ing it.

Associate
Thats a great topic as I bought a new DIY rig a week ago from OcUK and it was with this card Sapphire HD 7850 2048MB GDDR5. Would it overclock any better because of custom cooling? Although I dont know if its relevant cause I think my card just died without any overclocking and as I can see theyre out of stock so replacement wont be the same, right?

But apart from the fault a great card, I would say the best value to money atm.

Soldato
I have Asus GPU tool installed, I dont have a 7850 btw, I'm tweaking a 7970 - I don't get the option over voltage tweaking? looked everywhere, In MSI AB I get the opion etc, I'm using an unlocked bios btw.

Soldato
I'm even more on the fence now that I've seen these overclocking results and the offer of Dirt 3 !

I've currently got a VTX3D 5770 which is a noisy little thing that causes catalyst to crash with even the mildest overclock.

I'm just worried that the VTX3D 7850 isn't worth the £20 difference between it and the MSI, and I'd be better going with the better quality MSI or a Sapphire model.
Maybe VTX have upped their game, but judging from past experiences they cut too many corners.

On a sidenote, I've got a Lite-On 450W PSU with 18.5A on each of 2 rails with a combined max of 32A so I'm hoping this will be ok. I'm running an i7-920 at stock.

I was worried about VTX in this regard too. However, the model on offer is a reference one not a custom one. Did you get a 7850?

Man of Honour
Both of the SAPPHIRE HD 7950 models have a dual BIOS, allowing for further experimentation by the enthusiast. On the OC edition, the second BIOS is pre-programmed to allow a higher maximum overclock and more aggressive fan profile.

Thanks. Which switch position is which?

I have the card at 940/1290, any higher and the driver/game crashes.

I think I need to up the volts.

I would like to see 1000/1500, is it possible?

Associate
I was worried about VTX in this regard too. However, the model on offer is a reference one not a custom one. Did you get a 7850?

Nope, I've not got one yet, but probably will :p

I know it's a reference card, but surely the quality and therefore cost of the components used are up to VTX's discretion ?

If someone can confirm that the quality of the VTX reference card is comparable to any other brand, I'm sold.

Back
Top Bottom