• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Official GTX 670 thread***

Soldato
Some interesting news coming out of MVKtech today...(680 PCB only)

670's have been flashed to 680 BIOS, giving higher clocks (stock?) and higher power limits, but also states its pointless as the 670 BIOS can be modified to do just that...

As it stands the Windforce is the only 'pure' 680 PCB card on the market, so hopefully we will see some modded BIOS files for it sooner rather than later :D

Soldato
Bah waterblock won't be here until 4.30 at the earliest, so going to wait until tomorrow or Wednesday before I fit it, as I'm still expecting some other odds and ends to arrive tomorrow to take my cooling internal :)

which one did you have problems with lowrider?

I'm returning the ref KFA2 670, there wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, was just too noisy for me, I could hear the fan's motor even @ 35%, I don't mind the sound of woshing air but motor whine is hard to tolerate.

Its like £10 to post it back, and another £5 - £10 for a gigabyte or Asus though :(

Getting a quiet card is very important to me.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'm returning the ref KFA2 670, there wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, was just too noisy for me, I could hear the fan's motor even @ 35%, I don't mind the sound of woshing air but motor whine is hard to tolerate.

That would have actually been faulty then :(

Associate
Got my Gigabyte 670 today, installed and replaced my 6950 Twin Frozr III. Have to say I'm more than happy with the card, even runs quieter than the 6950 @ idle and gaming with default fan profile.

Associate
My direct cu 570 only hits 35% fan on full load even at 1.15v and 900mhz, keeping temps under 70 and inaudible over my case fans. Maybe newer revisions are noisier but its hard to see it. Excellent coolers IMO, only rivalled by the wind force cooler.

Associate
I'm having zero problems with my windforce. Playing at about 1250 MHz, everything is silky smooth (1080p). one of the best investments I've ever made :) super cool and super quiet too, never going over 65 in taxing games, and in games like portal 2 nowhere near 60!

Permabanned

Thats a stock 7970 vs an overclocked 670 (as you know, 670's overclcock themselves as standard and even well over the stated boots clock)

Once both overclocked, the 7970 is either faster or on par overall. And it is cheaper with 3 free games and 3gb Vram which is good for multi screen set ups.

Dont get me wrong, Im getting the 670 because of 3D Vision, but the 7970 is at a very good price and I have had one myself and it was a good card. I just dont know why people keep likning comparisons completely ignoring the fact the 670 is bosting to most likely over 1100mhz while the 7970 is at a very low stock clock of 925Mhz.

*sigh*
I'm not saying the stock cooler is the best cooler in the world, I'm just saying that in terms of actual performance difference, it doesn't make £50 worth of difference... yes they look nicer and yes arguably the windforce can OC higher and the KFA to a lesser degree unless you get really lucky and/or you ramp the fans up to annoyingly high levels

but, if you are going to SLI anyway, then the extra 1-5% performance for an extra 15-20% cost is not, IN MY OPINION, worth it, just like for some people they want the absolute best they will argue themselves all the way up to a full custom 680 purely for epeen value when a pair of reference 670's is nearly the same price but clearly much faster, even I got caught up in the hysteria and ordered a HOF edition 680 and then realised that it's just silly to pay all that extra money for very little real gain in performance

or if you've already argued yourself up to £370 for a 670 then why not just get a 680 that will again OC to above any 670 top OC

resorting to insults just because someone doesn't happen to agree with you is just very childish really

if I was really worried about temps I would just get a pair of GPU waterblocks for £15-20 a pop and call it a job done
the full length PCB and 6+8pin power connectors (except in a couple of rare freak occasions) doesn't seem to be making a massive difference, just like the aftermarket coolers and extra pins don't seem to be making much more than 50-100mhz difference on the 680's either (e.g. a very small % FPS gain for a very large % additional cost)

The stock cooler is completely pants and unnecessary, sure the reference 670 has good performance. But temps and noise once overclocked could have easily been allot better without that cheap £2 cooler on the £320 card.
There is no defending that cooler lol

Last edited:
Permabanned
Overclocked 7970s run far hotter and make much more noise than GTX 670 / 680 do. I cant even stand my KFA2 card on max fan speed and its really not too loud, I couldnt deal with anything louder.

Associate
These Asus GTX 670s are not loud:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/27.html

All the information you need on these cards can be found on that one website.

I'd be very sceptical that at full load (which may mean many different things), the Asus GTX670 directCUII is only 1 dba louder than at idle. The GTX560Ti cooler may be a little louder at idle but at full load is around 34 dba. I call BS with both these sets of figures. I've had 3 separate ASUS GTX560 tis with direct CUII coolers. All massively loud (more so than you would expect for 34dba).

Associate
Some interesting news coming out of MVKtech today...(680 PCB only)

670's have been flashed to 680 BIOS, giving higher clocks (stock?) and higher power limits, but also states its pointless as the 670 BIOS can be modified to do just that...

As it stands the Windforce is the only 'pure' 680 PCB card on the market, so hopefully we will see some modded BIOS files for it sooner rather than later :D

A higher power limit BIOS would be good!:cool:

Permabanned
Overclocked 7970s run far hotter and make much more noise than GTX 670 / 680 do. I cant even stand my KFA2 card on max fan speed and its really not too loud, I couldnt deal with anything louder.

I had a referance 7970 and overclocked to 1200Mhz the temps didnt go above 72C and the fan didnt go above 40% and wasn't that loud.

The 7970 ASUS DC2 and Windforce which is what were are talking about however, will be allot more quiet and comparable to the 670 non reference cards just a little hotter.

Permabanned
I'd be very sceptical that at full load (which may mean many different things), the Asus GTX670 directCUII is only 1 dba louder than at idle.

The default fan profile on these cards is set very low. The fans dont run any higher than 40% at full load at factory settings.

I'd be very sceptical that at full load (which may mean many different things), the Asus GTX670 directCUII is only 1 dba louder than at idle. The GTX560Ti cooler may be a little louder at idle but at full load is around 34 dba. I call BS with both these sets of figures. I've had 3 separate ASUS GTX560 tis with direct CUII coolers. All massively loud (more so than you would expect for 34dba).

To tell you the truth I never had any luck finding a quiet 560ti tbh, in the end I skipped it and grabbed a ref 570 which was quieter than them all.

How come you ended up having three Asus CUII cards?

Back
Top Bottom