• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Soldato
OP
well i like my msi power edition card, nice and cool and does 1200 on the core, more than happy, when they reach £150 il get another for crossfire.

No idea how to raise the voltage on it though, cant get gpu tweak to show the voltage, and afterburner has the power limit thing. hmmm
That's exactly what I mean. The MSI's offer exactly the same variance for overclocking as any other card. You get some good, some bad and some average. However, MSI boast about tripple voltage control, improves military components (must be Bristish military), 45% overclocking etc, yet in reality they offer no more headroom than a bog standard reference card.

My £160 Powercolor runs stable at >1300MHz. It comes in a bog standard box which doesn't hint at or promise anything. My £200 MSI Mutton Edition promissed superior components and overclocking, get tops out at 1125MHz. The fact that MSI have used very low quality ASIC''s within my car are a very clear indication that they are all marketing and no substance. They should not proclaim their card as the best when they stick any old random GPU on it.

Associate
I just ordered the MSI Twin Frozr III. Cant see the £40 premium for the PE being worth it (especially judging by comments in here)

So how do I find the ASIC value of my card? GPUZ?

Soldato
That's exactly what I mean. The MSI's offer exactly the same variance for overclocking as any other card. You get some good, some bad and some average. However, MSI boast about tripple voltage control, improves military components (must be Bristish military), 45% overclocking etc, yet in reality they offer no more headroom than a bog standard reference card.

My £160 Powercolor runs stable at >1300MHz. It comes in a bog standard box which doesn't hint at or promise anything. My £200 MSI Mutton Edition promissed superior components and overclocking, get tops out at 1125MHz. The fact that MSI have used very low quality ASIC''s within my car are a very clear indication that they are all marketing and no substance. They should not proclaim their card as the best when they stick any old random GPU on it.

Yes but didnt you spend £30 on a better cooler for it? the vtx standard cooler would melt at 1300mhz :p

Soldato
OP
Yes but didnt you spend £30 on a better cooler for it? the vtx standard cooler would melt at 1300mhz :p
A better cooler it does have, but with a stock voltage of 1.21v it runs hotter than my reference cooled Powercolor which defaults to 1.05v. It also overclocks much worse than the reference cooled card.

I appreciate that some people may get good MSI cards, but they are selling them at a premium price so "better than average" or "atleast average" should be expected.

It was cheaper to buy my reference card and a MUCH superior Accelero TTII cooler than the MSI "Mutton" Power Edition. I paid a £40 premium for a munter. When running an benching my Powercolor at 1300-1400MHz it had the Accelero attached. For crossfire, I had to put the reference back on to fit my mobo, but it still runs cooler than the MSI.

Soldato
It was cheaper to buy my reference card and a MUCH superior Accelero TTII cooler than the MSI "Mutton" Power Edition. I paid a £40 premium for a munter. When running an benching my Powercolor at 1300-1400MHz it had the Accelero attached. For crossfire, I had to put the reference back on to fit my mobo, but it still runs cooler than the MSI.

Out of interest, how far could you go on stock volts with the reference cooler, and how far could you go when overclocked on the stock cooler?

Soldato
OP
Out of interest, how far could you go on stock volts with the reference cooler, and how far could you go when overclocked on the stock cooler?
*Powercolor reference with ASIC 84.9 manages 1125 / 5800 on stock 1.050v. Using 1.225v allowed 1250 / 5800, and 1.3v was stable at 1325 / 5800.
*MSI Power Edition with ASIC 72% manages just 1125 / 5500 on stock 1.21v. Pushing voltages up to 1.225v makes no difference. As 1.21v is set as default in BIOS, there is no way to reduce this to see what is achieveable at 1.050v. GPU Tweak and Trixx allows you to lower the voltage sliders, but GPU-Z continues to report 1.21v under 3D, and temps do not change.

All clocks above are Max STABLE clocks. I can run benches on the MSI at 1180MHz and the Powerclolor benches at 1400MHz, but both are very far from stable at these speeds.

Last edited:
Soldato
*Powercolor reference with ASIC 84.9 manages 1125 / 5800 on stock 1.050v. Using 1.225v allowed 1250 / 5800, and 1.3v was stable at 1325 / 5800.
*MSI Power Editionwith ASIC 72% manages 1125 / 5500 on stock 1.21v. Pushing voltages up to 1.225v makes no difference. Because 1.21v is set as default in BIOS, there is no way to reduce this to see what is achieveable at 1.050v. GPU Tweak and Trixx allows you to lower the voltage sliders, but GPU-Z continues to report 1.21v under 3D, and temps do not change.

Are the Powercolor figures using the accelero twin turbo II?

Soldato
OP
Are the Powercolor figures using the accelero twin turbo II?
The 1300-1400NHz figures were with the accelero. I think that I got to 1260MHz on the stock cooler, but things got mightily hot and became unstable after that. With the MSI card cooling is okay, but the GPU is utter rubbish. I will not waste time trying the Accelero on the MSI because I know it won't make much difference. It is getting boxed, bagged and returned to sender once I get home tonight.

No more MSI cards for me. I also owned a 6950 Lightening Edition for awhile and that was also below par (although nowhere near a lame as my 7850). My experience with MSI is that they are good at marketing but poor at delivering. The promise of overclockability printes on their boxes far outweighs the reality.

The cheap Powercolor has turned out to be a Ford Focus with a Ferarri engine hidden under the hood. My expensive MSI was packaged as a Ferarri but turns out to have a Lada engine.

Edited to say: The most important component part of a graphics is the GPU. A good GPU in a cheap card is superior to a poor GPU within an expensive one. Large heatsinks, promisses of military class components and fancy boxes are all very well, but don't help much if the GPU itself sucks. Why pay a premium when the most important component is pure luck of the draw? My reference with it's poor packaging and poor cooler overclocked MUCH better out of the box than the bells and whistles MSI. 1260MHz for £160 vs 1125Mhs for £200 - which would you choose?

Last edited:
Associate
.. However, MSI boast about tripple voltage control, improves military components (must be Bristish military), 45% overclocking etc, yet in reality they offer no more headroom than a bog standard reference card.

I'm an ex-military tech... and I couldn't buy a gaming GPU for what I did :D

Soldato
OP
MSI card returned. A bit of good news is that my Powercolor card seems to have recovered from it's bout of sickness. I thought that I lost her for awhile, but after a good clean with Isopropyl all seems good again. I believe the sickness may have been caused buy some TIM from the Accelero cooler leaking onto the component around the GPU. Although this is meant to be non conductive, after giving it a good soaking with isopropyl and a clean with a fine brush she is back up and running again.

I think I'll be keeping her at 1200MHz 24/7 on the stock BIOS from now on. 1300MHz+ is nice, but I don't want to lose her for a second time.

Associate
well i like my msi power edition card, nice and cool and does 1200 on the core, more than happy, when they reach £150 il get another for crossfire.

No idea how to raise the voltage on it though, cant get gpu tweak to show the voltage, and afterburner has the power limit thing. hmmm

Try Sapphire Trixx. I can't raise my voltage in gpu tweak either but I can in trixx.

Soldato
Try Sapphire Trixx. I can't raise my voltage in gpu tweak either but I can in trixx.

Think my problem was old nvidia drivers, trixx wouldnt allow voltage, neither gpu tweak, using msi afterburner on its own, allows high core and voltage now

msiiiiiiiiii.jpg

Permabanned
When I tried MSI afterburner it wouldn't allow overclocking into the 1200 region. The only application which did is Sapphire Trixx. Is there a special way to get MSI working with the 7850?

Soldato
When I tried MSI afterburner it wouldn't allow overclocking into the 1200 region. The only application which did is Sapphire Trixx. Is there a special way to get MSI working with the 7850?

No idea, bit odd isnt it, wouldnt allow me when i had a vtx 7850 , its the only thing i have installed now, no trixx or gpu tweak, might be because its a msi card? i dunno

Soldato
No idea, bit odd isnt it, wouldnt allow me when i had a vtx 7850 , its the only thing i have installed now, no trixx or gpu tweak, might be because its a msi card? i dunno

very weird, it would only allow 1050 on my MSI PE card...... I also had to use trixx to get higher and afterburner to set core voltage, got annoyed so sent them back :) just got one of the 199 580's bloody hell what have I done :D

Back
Top Bottom