What's wrong with the railways in this country?

Caporegime
I'll feel relieved it holds a world record when Im sitting in yet another broken carriage with non working doors/toilet/peeling paint :p

As for the electrification, it is a waste of money. The only place on that whole line that the train can achieve 125 mph is between London and Reading. After that, its 90mph between Swansea and Bridgend, going lower in places.

I can't believe you think £9.30 return to Swansea is expensive! How much is it in petrol for example? My journey is 20 minutes and costs me about £14 a day with a season ticket, Plymouth is around £60 return...

And as Fox said if they are the same rolling stock as the FGW trains that go to the south west then there is no issue at all (used to use them all the time), except for those stupid screens they have now stuck on the seats. They are far better than the trains I've been on in europe.

Why in the world would you pay +£700/month to commute, unless your job pays for it. Can't you add it to what you pay for rent/mortgage now and rent/buy in London?? It's madness.

Because even with that commuting cost it's still cheaper to rent outside London for the equivalent place. You can rent a two bedroom house for £700 in the South east, that will get you a room in London...

Associate
I've been getting the train for this last while and tbh I can't complain, hasn't been late yet and it's comfortable enough, Translink has done a lot of upgrading in the past few years and it's paid off.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;22430272 said:
Try using the trains elsewhere in the world - other than Switzerland. In isolation our service may seem bad but comparatively speaking it really isn't. As for crowded trains - name me a single city in the world that doesn't have packed metro-rail commuter services?

There is almost nowhere on the planet where you can commute to the capital city by rail and the train not be crowded.

Also, use Southern and not First Capital Connect and you can have AC ;)

Stockholm and Brussels comes to mind. Worked in both cities for extended periods of time and very rarely saw overcrowded trains.

Soldato
The rail service once you are on a train is pretty good I've found, trains are generally on time and in good condition, but the prices are way too much compared to other European countries.

The only way you can get a remotely reasonable fare is to book months in advance, giving up the ability to cancel or amend your ticket without charge if you do.

Soldato
I've used trains in Europe and found them fine. Especially in Italy, with their wee compartments.
The French train from Paris to Marsaille was clean, comfortable, fast. It was busy, but everyone was seated.

Soldato
From my POV the rail infrastructure in this country is severely dated, nevermind the rolling stock from the 70s (Intercity 125), we're still using tracks and bridges from the victorian era.

Look at Germany, they constructed high speed railway between all major cities, that's how it should be done here, but where you have privatised companies there's little incentive to invest back in the network.

Man of Honour
I've used trains in Europe and found them fine. Especially in Italy, with their wee compartments.
The French train from Paris to Marsaille was clean, comfortable, fast. It was busy, but everyone was seated.

French long distance high speed trains are a special case - because France is a big country with lots of open space they have built a network of dedicated high speed railway lines. Basically the sort of thing HS2 is but without everyone whinging, moaning and crying about it.

As a result, long distance travel by train in France is simply excellent.

Local stuff sucks, mind.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;22431586 said:
It was the weekend when I used the trains in Brussels. Not busy but then not particularly nice inside either.

Although I agree on the whole with you fox. I have/do travel a lot in Brussels on trains and overall it's abetter experience over there.

I agree though overall uk ain't that bad for trains. Take Australia for example their train service is pretty shocking when you get away from the main lines

Man of Honour
Look at Germany, they constructed high speed railway between all major cities

Actually they didn't - only some cities are connected by dedicated high speed lines, the ICE trains use normal tracks between others.

France is a better example of that point :p

Man of Honour
Also i love how i can fly to Germany cheaper than get the train to Newcastle from Stevenage.

I love how people constantly roll out those particular soundbites without any real consideration of the fact that on-demand rail travel is not comparable to pre-booked air travel. You can also get a train to Stevenage for less than the cost of a taxi to York... just as pointless a comparison.

Top tip: Pop to the airport tommorrow and ask for a ticket on the next flight to Germany. It will cost rather more than a ticket from Newcastle to Stevenage.

Also, there are advance tickets from Newcastle to Stevenage for 16 quid. Please show me the flight to Germany for 16 quid in taxes ;)

(That said some of the fares are downright ridiculous, Taunton to Bristol is hugely more expensive than Plymouth to Tiverton despite the latter being a journey up to 3 times longer than the former...)

Last edited:
Soldato
Newcastle to Stevenage that cheap? Where? (seriously am interested please lol) Cheapest i've ever got next day return Stevenage to Newcastle was £65 and that was luck more than anything.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;22431872 said:
I love how people constantly roll out those particular soundbites without any real consideration of the fact that on-demand rail travel is not comparable to pre-booked air travel. You can also get a train to Stevenage for less than the cost of a taxi to York... just as pointless a comparison.

Top tip: Pop to the airport tommorrow and ask for a ticket on the next flight to Germany. It will cost rather more than a ticket from Newcastle to Stevenage.

Also, there are advance tickets from Newcastle to Stevenage for 16 quid. Please show me the flight to Germany for 16 quid in taxes ;)

(That said some of the fares are downright ridiculous, Taunton to Bristol is hugely more expensive than Plymouth to Tiverton despite the latter being a journey up to 3 times longer than the former...)

I don't know, shipping containers might get you to Germany.

Soldato
9.28 on 17th October is £16.50. The 17.25, 18.28 & 19.04 on 16th October are £13.50.

Re local trains in France. I was half expecting the Nice - Monaco train to be awesome. But it wasn't at all. But then I guess the richies don't take the train huh?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Newcastle to Stevenage that cheap? Where? (seriously am interested please lol) Cheapest i've ever got next day return Stevenage to Newcastle was £65 and that was luck more than anything.

Random midweek advance tickets, that one was on 19th September but there are others for £26-34 closer to now.

Back
Top Bottom