Royal Mail to roll out leave with neighbour scheme

Man of Honour
Hmm, I will participate. However, this is only because I am not short sighted enough to arrange a delivery for a day when there may, potentially, be nobody at home....so it would rarely affect me.

Occupation
Being me is a full time job.
Unluckily for most people that isn't sufficient to live off and they have to work, so they can't be at home when every parcel arrives.

Associate
OP
Hmm, I will participate. However, this is only because I am not short sighted enough to arrange a delivery for a day when there may, potentially, be nobody at home....so it would rarely affect me.

Lots of people have jobs that mean they are not at home on any day of the week to have deliveries. Fortunate you if you have independent means and don't have to work. Most people are not in your position. It's slightly odd to view having a job as short sighted, but there you go.

Associate
The main problem is other couriers who already leave parcels with neighbours never bother to put a notice through your letterbox. I often have to check with 3 different neighbours when a parcel goes missing.

Soldato
Unluckily for most people that isn't sufficient to live off and they have to work, so they can't be at home when every parcel arrives.
Oh I work many hours per week (usually 45 or so) so I understand what you are saying. I am fortunate enough to be able to either have it delivered to my work place (as long as it isnt too regularly they dont mind) or I ring my mother or the in-laws to see if they are at home on day X to take the delivery for me.
Surely with things like collectplus you should rarely need for anything to be left with a neighbour without your per incidence permission.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
It's a good idea but has a major downfall which is trusting your neighbours. I am fine where I live but in some areas in the country it would be a big mistake. I noticed from OP link it does not say where they trialled at. Did they choose a cross section of society or cherry pick a nice area to do the trial.

Man of Honour
It's a good idea but has a major downfall which is trusting your neighbours. I am fine where I live but in some areas in the country it would be a big mistake. I noticed from OP link it does not say where they trialled at. Did they choose a cross section of society or cherry pick a nice area to do the trial.

How's it a downfall? You just opt out.

Soldato
How's it a downfall? You just opt out.

Because it should be Opt in. I doubt every single person is going to get the memo which could lead to problems in itself. Then you also have to know who has opted out. From what's said you get a sticker you stick on your door indicating you opted out which is just ridiculous. Pretty sure many of the posties won't be for this either, imagine having to stand at the door, write a card saying it's with the neighbour and then going to the next house down and waiting to see if they're in and willing to take the parcel. You can see how it will likely turn in to a cluster**** of faffing around trying to deliver parcels to neighbour's neighbours for your parcel instead of writing a card saying it's at the sorting office and being done with it.

Man of Honour
Nearly all pasties allready do it.
It's in the main news and most people have heard off it and again it allready happens in most areas. It's never been an issue or faffing. Posies love it, as they don't have to carry it for the rest of the round, so that's another null point.

Associate
So without having read all of this thread or scouring the links in the OP, where can we opt out of this scheme (if it's even possible to do so currently)? Although we have a very nice immediate neighbour, there are a couple of less-than-friendly neighbours in our area so wouldn't want to trust them with valuable parcels in case they felt compelled to spite us for the parking issues we've been having with them over the last month or so.

Associate
OP
So without having read all of this thread or scouring the links in the OP, where can we opt out of this scheme (if it's even possible to do so currently)? Although we have a very nice immediate neighbour, there are a couple of less-than-friendly neighbours in our area so wouldn't want to trust them with valuable parcels in case they felt compelled to spite us for the parking issues we've been having with them over the last month or so.

According to the articles, there will be a leaflet coming out if Ofcom give the go ahead for it to roll nationally (they have said they are minded to approve it) and that will have a link for the website to order a sticker to opt out or it may simply say you can opt out and leave you to find the link, its not very clear.

Permabanned
I don't see why they don't work with collect plus organization that has already a more widespread system of collection locations in place. Then they could set it up that you go on to the website and select a local shop as your designated delivery location for parcels that they deliver while you are not in. IF i had the choice i would delivery all my online orders to my local shop instead.

Soldato
If it is indeed a sticker on the letterbox to opt out, how is that going to work for properties that have multiple dwellings but only one letterbox? This isn't that uncommon. As it is we've been told we all have to fill in a form together to ask for junk mail to be stopped but one neighbour is a bit useless so we still get it.

It's not going to be a problem for me as my neighbours have a shop directly across the street and told me to get parcels delivered there as they know I'm usually not in for deliveries. However, going back a couple of years ago this wouldn't have been the case.

Soldato
The problem is that Royal Mail is such an antiquated service riddled with high costs it can't keep up with the demands of a modern society. The other thing is we have no choice other than RM. In an ideal world we would all be able to finish work and collect our parcels and letters at a reasonable time rather than this stupid opt in scheme

Last edited:
Caporegime
Royal Mail's service could hardly get much worse, imho.

The postie round here will leave mail outside in the rain if too big to fit through letterbox. Just a couple days ago my two SSDs got left outside in the rain.

The postie will also throw mail through a downstairs window if we leave it open. The floor underneath is hard concrete, so anything not well protected gets smashed. They don't seem to care tho. I've already rung to complain once.

Associate
I'll be opting out for two reasons.

One, I don't want to burden my neighbours with accepting my parcels, I get most of them delivered to work anyway.

Two, I don't want to take responsibility for accepting a parcel. I want no possible come back on me if later a neighbour (although they are great, but you never know) said they had not received something.

Either be at home when something is delivered or arrange to collect from the depo. This is a half measure from RM

Edit:

Royal Mail said:
1.4 Royal Mail has made a commitment that any roll out will include a provision for
customers to opt out of the service and that Royal Mail will retain liability for all
undeliverable items until they are received by the original addressee

Seems RM will have to cover things insured if you decide to tell your neighbour their parcel never turned up!

What is needed is an option to deliver anything bigger than a packet to the depo only

Last edited:
Soldato
Love all the hate for RM on these forums.

As far as I know I was told last week for those living in areas it will be getting rolled out in there will be a leaflet going to every house with information on it and you can opt out if you wish.
Also they will leave cards if you do opt in to say it has been left with the neighbour and what number, the new cards are already in our office and it is being rolled out soon.
And this was trialled else where before being put in place around the rest of the country so it obviously worked. It is already quite common practice.

Soldato
Love all the hate for RM on these forums.

As far as I know I was told last week for those living in areas it will be getting rolled out in there will be a leaflet going to every house with information on it and you can opt out if you wish.
Also they will leave cards if you do opt in to say it has been left with the neighbour and what number, the new cards are already in our office and it is being rolled out soon.
And this was trialled else where before being put in place around the rest of the country so it obviously worked. It is already quite common practice.

So Person A isn't in, the postie goes to Person B's house to drop person A's parcel off there but Person B isn't in either so goes to Person C. This continues until Person E who is home and takes the Parcel. The postie then has to go back to Person A's house to leave the card. It just seems silly to me to do this instead of just putting it back in the van and leaving a card. I'd rather just have your postie ask you when they're there who or where they can put a parcel if you're not in instead of making it mandatory until you opt out.

Back
Top Bottom