• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Coil Whine - VTX 7970 B-Grade.. Do I return?

Soldato
Bought a 7970 VTX out of the B-Grade section for £240.

Just installed the card, as soon as the card is under load (In game) there sounds like 1000 crickets living inside my pc.

Do I return under DSR? :( Thanks

Soldato
Run it overnight on Heaven to see if it helps. If not - and you're not happy with it - then yeah return it. It probably safe to say that's the reason the original owner returned it.

Can't help to try the above though.

If you sleep in the same room as your PC then I'd just send it back now if it's that bad. :(

Soldato
OP
I already have it like that Tommybhoy, I have an OCZ 1250w with seperate cables.

I might just apply for a returns number and drive to the shop this weekend to drop it off and return it.

Caporegime
On my second Lightning, I could hear the phase capacitors to the point of worry (after putting on water blocks) but after a few decent sress tests, I can no longer hear it. I would say bash out some Heaven/3DMark11 for a couple of hours and see if that helps but push the GPU to the max.

Maybe my sound was different though but worth a shot.

Soldato
I already have it like that Tommybhoy, I have an OCZ 1250w with seperate cables.

I might just apply for a returns number and drive to the shop this weekend to drop it off and return it.

100% sure it's the graphics card.
I thought my GTX580 had coil whine. Turned out to be my OCZ ZX1000 screeching.

Associate
Bad luck TaKeN. I'd check the psu as rossi says (my spare psu gets whiny under moderate laod), but yeah if its the card and you find it intrusive then send it back. No point keeping it if it's going to bug you all the time.

edit: And im not just saying that because I was eyeing it up before :p
I can't stand noise either but for anyone who doesn't mind it, it's still a bit of a bargain I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok, just put my MSi 6950 back in and that doesn't produce the same noise (Under the same test situation)

So I'm guessing it's the 7970 at fault?

Soldato
OP
The 6950 should be pulling a similar wattage to the 7970 surely?

The 7970 are a more power efficiant revision. So should be drawing less wattage clock for clock??

Back
Top Bottom