Being followed/stalked

Soldato
Sorry this is a bit long and complicated. What I am looking for is advice to end something peacefully and within the law.

Here is a brief background to how it all started.

I moved into my flat about 18 months ago with a new partner. We had only been in the place a few days when we met some very nice neighbours. They are the kind of people who will do anything for you and help my disabled partner a lot whilst I am at work. Things were good for the first month until we were approached by another resident.

He ranted and raved about our neighbours referring to an incident that had happened about 5 years previous. He is about 72 and his wife is younger than me (I am 40). From what I gather and it is all very complicated, his wife and another man (not my neighbour but friend of his) had something going and it ended up becoming common knowledge. A majority of people say it was a 50/50 thing between the two but this old guy believed it to be all one sided.

I don't want to go into details but I can say it was fully investigated by the Police and found to be no crime committed. Since then this old chap has been putting pressure on my neighbour to make a false statement to the Police to try and get the case re-opened. In short he has tried to use blackmail methods like he would try and implicate him in it if he didn't. He has refused.

So how do my partner and I come into it? Well when he was ranting and raving about my neighbour he asked me to make a statement to the Police saying my neighbour got drunk and confessed to being involved and knowing more. I was shocked but decided to politely decline and added I understand his frustration but this really has nothing to do with me and I don't want to be involved. He left saying my life would become very unpleasant as I now held the key to his justice.

Since then along with my neighbours we have suffered a campaign of hate. Things like my dog being reported to the Police as dangerous, car scratched up, my neighbours car reported and towed whilst it was briefly off the road (on private property) when we were doing some MOT repairs. He reported it to the managing agent as abandoned and when a note was put on it he removed it so he had no indication it was going to be removed.

In addition he will make up false allegations to the Police (apparently I broke his windscreen) and my neighbour tried to run him over (after his car was towed). I have been accused of running businesses etc. He gets back up from a couple of poisonous old bags who live below him but he is always driving them about and doing them favours etc.

The crunch came when a rumour was spread saying that there was a sex offender living in our block. We live in a very small village so it spread like wild fire.

I called the Police and they were very helpful. He was issued with a harassment warning saying he must leave my partner and I alone and not to touch our property.

Since then he has taken to following my partner and I when we go out in our cars. He will sit a few inches off our bumpers. This has steadily got worse but the Police say they are powerless to do anything as we live in such close proximity. When spoken to he just claims a coincidence but it is not that. I pulled up in the middle of the road the other week and approached him and asked what his game was. He told me he is trying to find out where my parents live so he can speak to them and get them to make me 'see sense'.

This morning I took my neighbour to work (shes a postwomen) at 6 a.m. Low and behold when I pulled into the sorting office he pulled in behind me. He waited then followed me home.

Things are so bad now my partner refuses to go out in the car alone and I have not seen my parents in weeks as I am afraid he will follow me and then harass them. They are quite elderly and would be terrified and very angry.

I have the police due out again to talk to me but every time he sees a Police car outside my place it just further enrages him. The police need a statement as I was attacked by an unknown person before Xmas who told me I had been warned this would happen.

I would love to move but it isn't an option at the moment for quite a few personal, financial and tenancy reasons.

The following I believe is just an intimidation technique but it is truly wrecking our lives.

Obviously I cannot and would not use violence as it is not the answer and would only make things worse.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and if so how did they deal with it?

Soldato
wow that's quite a situation!

if you wish to remain within the law then don't think there's a great deal more you can do other than cooperate with the police and keeping them up to date.

I don't know if this is something your MP could help with, no harm in firing off a letter though.

EDIT: Just re-read it and realised he's 72 years old. Is there no way of getting social services out to assess his psychological state as it sounds like he's losing it.

Permabanned
Jesus Christ.

The guy is attempting to bully people into making false statements to the police to nurse his ego about being a cuckold?

Soldato
OP
wow that's quite a situation!

if you wish to remain within the law then don't think there's a great deal more you can do other than cooperate with the police and keeping them up to date.

I don't know if this is something your MP could help with, no harm in firing off a letter though.

Actually that isn't a bad idea thank you. I thought I would post it as my head is all over the place I am not thinking straight. Talking about it and putting it in writing has helped in a way to see it how it is.

There is also loads more but it would take me all day to go through all the incidents.

Soldato
Have a word with social services he sounds like he has mental illness and needs commiting as he is a danger to others ( thats the route to go down ). He is clearly a nutter.

Install CCTV if possible and also in the car to catch him doing this following thing. Take photos when he does follow you, it may make him think twice. You are well within your rights to take photo evidence or video evidence of a suspected stalker/harasser especially when it concerns your wife.

Personally when he spread rumors of a sex offender i would have stirred the pot and said things like " must be him actually, he is trying to deflect attention away from himself... i mean the age gap between him and his wife is very oddd......... blah blah....." :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Bloody hell mate that is messed up, the old coot sounds like a basket case... He clearly doesn't have anything better to do than to make other peoples lives a misery.

I guess the only thing you can do is to keep on at the police in the hope they can do something more substantial. Maybe keep notes on what he has been doing?

Permabanned
Sounds awful, feel for you. Not much you can do though unfortunately except report everything to the police.

Out of interest, what have the police got to do with the original affair? Apologise if i've misunderstood what you mean.

Soldato
Honestly just beat the living **** out of him.

out of a 72 year old bloke?

Classy

I'd get lots of evidence, photos, video's, you never know what he's going to do next, if you get proof he's up to no good then at least you can back up your side of the story as when the brain goes people can do very strange things indeed.

Soldato
OP
Bloody hell mate that is messed up, the old coot sounds like a basket case... He clearly doesn't have anything better to do than to make other peoples lives a misery.

I guess the only thing you can do is to keep on at the police in the hope they can do something more substantial. Maybe keep notes on what he has been doing?

You have hit the nail on the head there. He has devoted the last 5 years of his life to this. Other neighbours say he keeps big A4 ring binders of information he collects on people. He records conversations including the Police without their knowledge.

There is a part of me that feels sorry for him as this incident has clearly eaten him away.

Unfortunately unless we move no injunction will be effective as we live in such close proximity. That is the same with the Police.

I hate to say it but given his age I wish the worse some times which I know is very cruel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lay a path of Werther's Originals into a busy road.

Seriously though, that is messed up and you are doing well to not have lost or temper!

Back
Top Bottom