Windows 8 who's buying/upgrading

Soldato
It's utter gash if you don't use your pc like a tablet and actually want to work on it.

Nobody in their right mind would come to this conclusion. :o

I've had no issues using photoshop, office apps (access, excel etc), visual studio and other bits and pieces. None and why would I ?

Exactly what work are you finding difficult because of a change from a start menu to a full start screen?

I think you've thrown away any credibility you had left and constant insults are doing you no favors.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Exactly what work are you finding difficult because of a change from a start menu to a full start screen?

I think you've thrown away any credibility you had left and constant insults are doing you no favors.

Go back and read the read the thread, summary for the simple minded - clunky, unintuitive UI, poor searching in metro, fragmented design choices, poor way of displaying information.

Soldato
So much irony I could burst with laughter. :D

Irony, really? point it out to us all then. go on :)

Go back and read the read the thread, summary for the simple minded - clunky, unintuitive UI, poor searching in metro, fragmented design choices, poor way of displaying information.

Ahh so you can't answer the question then, figures :)

Soldato
Getting used to it on laptop. I don't work (nor do i want to) in the way that Windows are suggesting you should, so a lot of the standard Metro apps apart from Mail are removed.
Adding Facebook to the standard apps just doesn't work very well unless you're going to use facebook purely in that way. As soon as you start using facebook's website, it goes all over the shop. One or the other, not both.

I quite like the OS, but as i said from the start, not going to put it on my PC, it's just horrible for me on desktop, with 3 screens.

Still have no plans whatsoever to introduce this OS at work. It would cause havoc with some applications, but mainly the users.

Soldato
Getting used to it on laptop. I don't work (nor do i want to) in the way that Windows are suggesting you should, so a lot of the standard Metro apps apart from Mail are removed.
Adding Facebook to the standard apps just doesn't work very well unless you're going to use facebook purely in that way. As soon as you start using facebook's website, it goes all over the shop. One or the other, not both.

I quite like the OS, but as i said from the start, not going to put it on my PC, it's just horrible for me on desktop, with 3 screens.

Still have no plans whatsoever to introduce this OS at work. It would cause havoc with some applications, but mainly the users.
I'm running it on 2 screens and it's pretty slick... Does introducing another screen cause issues?

Soldato
I tried to point it out before and you said to stop?

No you didnt.

1) I haven't said a single contradictory thing about windows 8. I haven't tried to insult anybody in these threads either. Contrary to what you have been trying claim, I haven't once said that people need accept windows 8 and learn to live with it, either.
2) Everything you have said in this thread, and indeed any thread on windows 8 that I've seen you comment in, has been designed to wind people up.

You can not prove either of those two statements wrong. The reason I told you to stop, was because we were all bored of your little snipes and baseless opinions.

Soldato
Just installed Windows 8 on all 3 of our systems (vista laptop, my win7 gaming pc, win7 pc).

Only had a brief issue with my gaming rig where steam games and origin wasn't working so had to reformat (this has never been so easy to do). The other Win7 pc had no issues with anything installed e.g Sony Vegas, Photoshop and another video editing suite. Also, the old vista laptop has never been quicker.

All in all very happy, everything works either the same or quicker. Metro UI can easily be disabled although I don't see it as much of an issue, just different. I think the photos and maps app UI is great even though I'm not using a touchscreen.

Soldato
No you didnt.

1) I haven't said a single contradictory thing about windows 8. I haven't tried to insult anybody in these threads either. Contrary to what you have been trying claim, I haven't once said that people need accept windows 8 and learn to live with it, either.
2) Everything you have said in this thread, and indeed any thread on windows 8 that I've seen you comment in, has been designed to wind people up.

You can not prove either of those two statements wrong. The reason I told you to stop, was because we were all bored of your little snipes and baseless opinions.

All absolute rubbish, carefully wrapped up in a flamebait package.

[Edit] Look, i'm happy to have this "discussion" with you (I say that as the last time you started being insulting) but as soon as it drops into immaturity i'm out. I mean come on, what's the point - we'd just get our posts deleted by a passing mod and told to stop "bickering" anyway.

I don't like you, you don't like me. I think it's best we just put each other on our ignore lists and carry on, as I think most other ways just lead to this thread being trashed and one/both of us banned.

And to be fair, I don't want that.

Last edited:
Soldato
hmmmm, I could say something to that, but I won't...

your so up tight over metro. why don't you just use as u would a start menu i.e just for opening programs which is 2 clicks max, forget metro apps, u don't have to use them.

also has I said MS offered a free public preview of win8 so u clearly knew what win8 had, so if u didn't like that u shouldn't of bought it. so it's your own fault really. nobody forced you to buy win8. :confused:

your making yourself look stupid tbh

this what I don't get MS offered a free public preview of win8 for people to try/test, but thoses people who didn't like it, still bought it and moans about it..

I would understand if MS didn't offer a free public preview of win8 and no info on what's coming in win8.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm running it on 2 screens and it's pretty slick... Does introducing another screen cause issues?

For me, yes. When I'm casually using my desktop PC I'm using pretty much just the mouse. W8 almost forces you to use keyboard shortcuts for a lot of things. So that plus the fact that hot corners on triple screens is a pain, it just grates on me after a while.

On a laptop though, you're hands are on the keyboard and touchpad, so it's very intuative. For tablets, it's obvious how great it is.

For me and the way I work on desktop though, nope, not going to work. Unless of course I start modding it, which is a possibility.

Soldato
Indeed! :D

From a corporate/support perspective though it'll be a nightmare. We're being heavily pressed at work to support it and it's not happening.

I've rolled it out in my office with minimal effort... Everyone seems to like it.

Last edited:
Soldato
For me, yes. When I'm casually using my desktop PC I'm using pretty much just the mouse. W8 almost forces you to use keyboard shortcuts for a lot of things. So that plus the fact that hot corners on triple screens is a pain, it just grates on me after a while.

On a laptop though, you're hands are on the keyboard and touchpad, so it's very intuative. For tablets, it's obvious how great it is.

For me and the way I work on desktop though, nope, not going to work. Unless of course I start modding it, which is a possibility.

There's a couple of annoyances as you say but I find multi monitor support to be overall a bit better now. MS has always had a problem with the functionality of the inner corners on multi monitors and yes I agree a little bit more tweaking is needed.

Soldato
Why thank you for that insight, how droll.

I've detailed my issues with this OS previously, to summarise:

Massive full screen start button/metro page is clunky for searching and displays very little info while taking up the whole screen.

Full page startup screen that you can immediately close if you so choose and go straight to the desktop.

Clunky for searching? I take it you have no fingers with which to type then. Otherwise, the search feature is pretty damned good.

Stupid app system, it's like multitasking never existed.

You don't have to use the Modern UI apps you know. Nobody's forcing you if you don't want to. You can also still have as many apps running as you like, they all just sit in the background not taking up resources when they're not the active app.

Poor floating menu systems, unintuitive and fragmented.

Not really sure what you're getting at there, so no comment.

Loss of desktop widgets.

No loss for me. Always found them tacky and irritating anyway.

Crap metro apps (Calendar/Mail).

See above. Don't use them if you don't like them.

Terrible Xbox like experience in the store/apps - clunky and very little info on screen at any one time.

The only Xbox app I've used is Xbox music, which seemed to work quite well. Can't comment any further than that.

I can understand upgrading from XP/Vista but my advice to those running Win 7 would be to try it on a separate partition first.

I wouldn't necessarly disagree with that comment. It's about the first thing I'd even remotely agree with you about. Stick it in a VM, on another PC, on a separate hard drive.

Most windows revisions are a clear step forward from what went before (except ME) whereas 8 to me is not as good as 7 was, what new things it brings I find poorly implemented.

You mean the faster boot times, the vastly improved task manager, the enhanced security features? Yes, awful aren't they .... :rolleyes:

Your basis for trashing the entire operating system appears sadly to be based on your quite obvious dislike for the Modern UI, and nothing else.

Soldato
Some of our users have issues using windows 7 never mind 8 :p Also waiting for pgp to be compatible as well.

To be fair, from what I've seen the new Start seems to suit "noobs." I'm getting a lot less questions than I expected, and as long as Start is setup with the shortcuts of the office programs its generally good to go.

I am noticing those who aren't very computer literate tend to use Start a lot more than I would. Say what you like the vast majority of users traditionally find Windows complex and only learn the absolute minimum required to navigate the OS, I daresay from what I've seen those with less knowledge do find the new os more accessible believe it or not.

Most of the whiners tend to be the experienced guys unhappy that the changes mean that for a while they can't pretend they are superior with their knowledge of the os.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I moaned about it when I first installed it and it took another fresh install to make it work properly. I would very much recommend clean installing it, rather than following the upgrade path.

I actually now quite like it as I have got used to it more. Definitely slicker than Windows 7 and I did not think it would be when I first started using it.

It is good.

Back
Top Bottom