Stress and your body...

Associate
Not a med thread!!!

So this week in work has been awful.

My boss decided to take an extra 2 days on his holiday (he was due back on Wednesday) and the other member of staff is still on his pre-booked 2 week holiday, so I have been on my own...

2 major system/ web releases to have to test in full and all the associated issues and bugs along with them, plus the normal day to day stuff that I would be expected to handle, has lead me to have very early starts and leaving the office 2-3 hours after I should have left.

Since Wednesday, my upper neck/ lower head has become so painful and sore, so has my shoulders and the top of my back :( I have never had this before! I guess its the stress etc

Does anyone else have adverse body reactions when you are super stressed? Sweaty pits? Twitchy eyes? :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
So this week in work has been awful. 2 major system/ web releases to have to test in full and all the associated issues and bugs along with them, plus the normal day to day stuff that I would be expected to handle, has lead me to have very early starts and leaving the office 2-3 hours after I should have left.
Did you sign up for this? is it in your contract?, can you not take a short holiday/break yourself? when all hands are on deck so to speak.

Associate
OP
Did you sign up for this? is it in your contract?, can you not take a short holiday/break yourself? when all hands are on deck so to speak.

No. No. Yes - have booked Monday off work. Could have tomorrow off cause my boss is back, but I want to see the maiden hit the windmill with him...there a fair few people looking to have 'words' :eek:

Probably is too much screen time + stress - but as mentioned in my op, not a med thread, just interested in what happens with others when they are under stress :)

Permabanned
Not a med thread!!!

My boss decided to take an extra 2 days on his holiday (he was due back on Wednesday) and the other member of staff is still on his pre-booked 2 week holiday, so I have been on my own...

2 major system/ web releases to have to test in full and all the associated issues and bugs along with them, plus the normal day to day stuff that I would be expected to handle, has lead me to have very early starts and leaving the office 2-3 hours after I should have left.

Since Wednesday, my upper neck/ lower head has become so painful and sore, so has my shoulders and the top of my back :( I have never had this before! I guess its the stress etc

Does anyone else have adverse body reactions when you are super stressed? Sweaty pits? Twitchy eyes? :eek:

Adverse body reactions?!

lol....

Stress is a KILLER. How can you not know that? Not to mention heart attacks, grey hair, high blood pressure. Its possibly one of the worst things for you, even smoking 20 a day ages you less.

Jeeesus!

I get spots on my neck when I'm run down. Not teenage style ones, just red, and sore. Then they go away.

Thats poor hygiene. Spots are caused by an imbalances of good bacteria vs bad on your skin.

Soldato

i get this when using my laptop for long periods of time. so much so at one point that it effected my posture when i walked. it's not stress, it's rubbish posture.

Associate
OP
I say its a combo of both cause this week has been exceptionally bad - see the first post for reasons - and I have never felt this stressed in work ever and I have been working since I was 16...

Its scared me to be honest, but only one more day then weekend + Monday now booked off and only in 3 days next week - plus we are back to a full team as of Monday

Soldato
I used to work in sales admin/customer service for an agricultural chemicals company. The role was just too much work for one person, and as time went by the stress started to get on top of me. It got that bad that I started getting headaches, suffering from bouts of insomnia and more worryingly, severe nosebleeds, and I mean severe. It was like turning on a tap at times. I can only surmise that my blood pressure had been driven that high that it was leading to those torrential nose bleeds. After that I decided to draw a line under it and put my notice in in the run up to Christmas. The place was just taking too much of a toll on my health. Luckily, I was able to line up another job with a start early in the new year while I was working through my notice thankfully. They offered me a pay rise to get me to stay, but just wouldn't budge on the issue of the workload.

From what I heard though ex-colleagues from that place I subsequently bumped into them in street after I left, the next poor sod to land in that job only lasted three months before going off on a sick note with stress, and never came back.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Stress is terrible for the body. From the comment about web releases I guess you're in IT. I know so many people in this industry who have been seriously ill with back problems, heart problems, depression and off long term due to stress. In my case I believe that stress was one of the contributing factors in my tumour in 2011.

Soldato
Not a med thread!!!

I run a company by myself it's my own and the last 2 weeks I've had a pulsating in my left temple and now despite the company taking off I've now become ultra depressed!

Back
Top Bottom