Your motoring irritations

Caporegime
Whether or not it should be relied upon is irrelevant.

The fact is that turning left off a roundabout is the perfect time to use the indicators for their intended purpose - making it easier for other drivers to gauge your intentions.

People who don't do this are simple being lazy and inconsiderate. Hence my frustration, and it being one of my major motoring irritations.

Wow, have you not read anything regarding the use of an indicator?

What difference does it make if the indicator is on or not regarding you decision to pull out or not?

Man of Honour

What difference does it make if the indicator is on or not regarding you decision to pull out or not?

Isn't it obvious? Plus mentioned above. You're waiting to join a roundabout, someone is in your lane, indicating to take the turn before you. In an ideal world, they are indicating left so will be leaving left, allowing you to cut infront without issue.

Associate
Trying to let someone in but they are doing everything possible but looking in your direction.

Also I don't agree with the "you shouldn't assume someone indicating left is going to taking a left."

Isn't the whole point of indicators so you aren't sat there thinking, "hmm, he's indicating left, but ANYTHING could happen!"

Unfortunately this is exactly what you need to sit there thinking.

Soldato

Wow, have you not read any of my post where I said that's not the point?

The question in the thread title is "What are your motoring irritations?"

The indicator is there for a reason. Whether that reason should be relied upon or not is irrelevant; the fact that people can't be bothered to use it as intended is what irritates me.

Saying it shouldn't matter because I shouldn't rely on them does not alter the fact that it speaks volumes about the character of the driver. That's what irritates me - I see it as inconsiderate.

I use my indicator as intended at roundabouts; if other drivers wish to ignore it, so be it. But I make the effort to use it. As someone else said, if they should be completely ignored at all times, then why bother putting them on cars at all?

Last edited:
Soldato
So as long as indicator is on you pull out regardless?

Not regardless, no. I weigh up the situation. You seem to assume that I take a black and white view that indicators are the only thing I assess.

If someone comes flying up to the roundabout at Mach10 with their indicator on, I don't pull out. I figure they might be intending to cross straight over and have left their indicator on. So I don't pull out.

If someone is slowing down, looking to their junction, turning in close etc, AND their indicator is on, then yes, I will usually assess the risk and decide that they are probably going left and pull out - usually, even if it is a mistake and have just left their indicator on, then the speeds are so low that we can both stop safely anyway.

But generally, I wont pull out at all if there is NO indication. So it's incredibly frustrating when someone is approaching the roundabout slowly with their indicator off, but still turns left. I wait, because they could be heading straight on slowly. But their inability to take the effort to twitch the indicator stalk to reinforce my assessment that they are making a left turn delays me, and causes me to wait unnecessarily. Hence, it is a major irritation when their laziness then leaves me waiting for ages when I could have been gone.

So in a nutshell, I won't rely on indicators ON as a signal to go, but I will rely on them being OFF as being a signal to wait.

Caporegime
Driving along a wet road, yes, it's sleeting slightly, yes, there's a lot of lying snow at the roadside and yes, it's cold (+1) equally, lane 2 has a lot of snow on it due to light traffic.....

But it's the A580 (East Lancs Road) and its 6:30am with me (in a 44ton truck) and numb nuts in front of me doing 24!! MPH

This was my irritation this morning. The muppet in question was driving a Mitsubishi Pajero.

Equally, I was passed on the A511 by somebody doing I'd say 70mph whilst he was in lane 2 that was snowbound.

The standard of driving in these sort of conditions never ceases to amaze and scare me.

/irritation

Last edited:
Permabanned
Today I have had no problem with other motorists, no BMW's have cut me up and no 4x4's have tailgated me at 75mph, not even the generic Mini driver talking on her phone has managed to force me into a hedge.

That said, my car is still covered with three inches of snow and I have not left the house.

Tomorrow may be a different story.

Soldato
See i can forgive lack of indication, foglights etc.
but what really bugs me is SLOW people, frustrates me so much, 40 in a 60 when the road is clear, but what irritates me even more are the same ones that when you hit a 30 zone carry on to do 40 all the way through, i dont get it!
Right, i have to add a couple to my list.

whats the deal with the horrifically bright lights on newer audis and such, must be great for the person that owns them but christ its annoying if they are behind you, even with the rear view mirror dimmed, you cant escape the glare.

and secondly miss aligned headlights, becoming a hell of a lot more common, and its really beginning to infuriate me, again there is just no escaping the glare,.

Soldato
Its been mentioned more than once in this thread how some people get angry when people don't indicate when exiting roundabouts.
Well I will admit I was one of them :o, however, since reading this thread every time I've been on a roundabout since I have indicated when exiting.
So there you have it, OcUK Motors - Making British roads a better place to be :D

Soldato
GF dropping me into work this morning. On a busy, short dual carriageway going 35 because of an accident.
We see blue flashing lights in the rear-view and wing mirrors and all cars start to part to give way for the ambulance and guess what the Renault Megane behind us does? He see's that as an opportunity to overtake and undertake going into the path for the ambulance....

What a ****.

Man of Honour
Left lane for past 12 o'clock roundabout exits.

Yes theres a line of cars for the exit, but that doesn't mean go up the inside then cut back in :(

I have this on the route to work. Theres a roundabout where the 3rd exit is at 1 o clock. I sometimes see people in the left lane, where I feel it should be the right lane. I personally use the right hand lane, most people seem to agree with that on my route.

Soldato
Left lane for past 12 o'clock roundabout exits.

Yes theres a line of cars for the exit, but that doesn't mean go up the inside then cut back in :(

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=b76...6&panoid=reAStNpSvUhYPx4u7I4xwA&cbp=12,0,,0,0

The roundabout on the way to work is notorious for this. I've nearly been crushed by a lorry going from left to right twice, this morning I got cut up and nearly forced into the next lane by some old duffer who decided he wanted the motorway exit and just drifted across without any indication whatsoever.

If insurance wasn't such a ballache, I'd have carried on straight and let him hit me :p

Soldato
I have this on the route to work. Theres a roundabout where the 3rd exit is at 1 o clock. I sometimes see people in the left lane, where I feel it should be the right lane. I personally use the right hand lane, most people seem to agree with that on my route.

There's a roundabout, two actually, like this on my drive to work. A second exit at 1 o'clock and a third exit at 2 o'clock. All exits are quite equal in their 'majorness', but these are the exits for through traffic. It's seems quite split between left lane no indicator, left lane right indicator, or right lane right indicator.

Back
Top Bottom