Your motoring irritations

Permabanned
People behind me who don't let other cars filter in at junctions, they just hug my bumper instead (women in 4x4's do this without exception, sorry BMW's, you've been outdone :().

In town last week I let fliter in whole streams of people, much to the increasing annoyance of the selfish moo in the 4x4 behind me who didn't let a single person get in front of her :)

Soldato
- Those headlights which pretty much scrape your eyes out.
- People who sit in the outside lane, nothing on the inside, doing 50mph on a NSL and don't move.
- People who don't indicate if taking the first exit from a roundabout
- People who indicate right on top of junctions, typically as they're turning.
- People on mobile phones.
- Lowered cars, the ones that can't make it over a standard speed hump.

Associate
Having had my license less than two years, and having a telematics box installed, I’m especially careful about my speed. My pet hate is having someone sat on your rear bumper through single-lane traffic when you’re already at the limit.

Also, mobile phones. When I’m walking around town, and I’m nearly hit by someone taking a corner without looking or indicating, it’s almost always somebody using a mobile phone (and usually in a white 5 Series).

Soldato
That's fine. My point is that if they are indicating left then you shouldn't assume they are turning left. All a left indicator means is that the left bulb is working.

Therefore it's not helpful. You can tell if the driver is turning left by wheel position and driver positioning if you are in a hurry. I only pull out once they have started the turn.

By that logic, we should stop using indicators and raise our steering wheels yes? Ok, will do that later.. :p

Man of Honour
Trying to let someone in but they are doing everything possible but looking in your direction.

Also I don't agree with the "you shouldn't assume someone indicating left is going to taking a left."

Isn't the whole point of indicators so you aren't sat there thinking, "hmm, he's indicating left, but ANYTHING could happen!"

Caporegime
By that logic, we should stop using indicators and raise our steering wheels yes? Ok, will do that later.. :p

The 'logic' is defensive driving - and advanced driving technique

If you pull out and there is an accident then it is your fault. - There is no point being dead right.

Permabanned
Aftermarket headlight bulbs (non factory spec)

For me, anyone using these should get an instant 3 points.
Yes I know its possible to improve on the original, especially as the car ages but its just opened the playing field for dickheads using bulbs that are extremely annoying at night.

I thought it was if you were caught with illegal bulbs? The law around using these aftermarket HID kits was tightened up a couple of years ago IIRC.

I use aftermarkets, but only because the OEM parts were simply dangerous in the dark and worse than useless in fog or heavy rain.

They're not ice blue intense wikid do innit bruv, mind. Just decent bulbs.

Soldato
Trying to let someone in but they are doing everything possible but looking in your direction.

Also I don't agree with the "you shouldn't assume someone indicating left is going to taking a left."

Isn't the whole point of indicators so you aren't sat there thinking, "hmm, he's indicating left, but ANYTHING could happen!"

You may not agree with it, but it's legal reality. Indicators should not be taken as an indication that anyone is going to do anything.

If someone is indicating to come off first exit at a roundabout and you emerge only for them to plough into the side of you, it will be classed as your fault. Only when they begin the expected maneuver is it safe to make your own.

Caporegime
If someone is indicating to come off first exit at a roundabout and you emerge only for them to plough into the side of you, it will be classed as your fault. Only when they begin the expected maneuver is it safe to make your own.

It will be classed as primarily your fault but with contributory negligence originally assessed at one third against the signalling motorist following Wadsworth v Gillespie (1978).

If it can be shown that the signalling motorist showed an intention of turning, i.e. slowing down, then contributory negligence can increase up to 50%.

Soldato
I had a none cancelled indicator when a SLK pulled out across me in my DC2, the car waiting at the centre hatching simply pulled across me thinking i was turning left at the rather strang junction for people joining the M40 northbound at jct12.

66% was claimed as precedant but in the end it was 75% : 25% so i was 25% to blame in the accident. I dont think it helped when she said 'look he had his indicator on I assumed he must be taking the turn'

I also said i was behind a silver Peugeot 206 so she wouldn't have seen my indicator for much of the time that its possible i could have realised and cancelled the indicator.

'I cant remember seeing a car infront of his car' was the reply.

I thought this was coming so I had instructed my barrister to respond by questioning why she hadnt already started her manoeuvre ifno additional cars ahead of mine....

The other party didnt really do a very good job in the court room which may have accounted for her additional portion of the blame.

Caporegime
This +1000. I made this mistake once, they didn't turn, went right into my car. Ever since then I've been raped severely for insurance, that mistake cost me dear.

Many moons ago, whilst doing my HGV training, my instructor told me to always read a flashing indicator as just that, an indicator that's on. And to presume first that its on accidentally,or, has simply been forgotten about.

That advice has served me well over the years, it's surprising how often indicator signals don't match what the vehicle in question does next alas......

Soldato
Whether or not it should be relied upon is irrelevant.

The fact is that turning left off a roundabout is the perfect time to use the indicators for their intended purpose - making it easier for other drivers to gauge your intentions.

People who don't do this are simple being lazy and inconsiderate. Hence my frustration, and it being one of my major motoring irritations.

Soldato
One recent one is busy streets with cars parked.

People cant just straight line through to manage flow, they instead stop 2 foot behind the parked cars, wait for traffic then swing out with lots of steering angle only to need to correct it out and doing so present a massive width to oncoming traffic that slows them in the other direction.

They then procede passed the parked cars with no other traffic coming only to tuck back in before the next parked car where they 'pop' out again 6 foot from the stationary car.

Instead im behind on them, often on the opposite side of the road looking much further ahead and can happily continued a fixed speed even if another car is coming as i havent weaved and 'widened' my car. Of course this also means the other cars see you earlier aswell as pedestrians looking to cross, particularly on left curving roads. I of course has to stop for weaving pleb infront.

These urban weavers are just wasting everyones time and overcomplicating their driving such that they are only capable of monitoring the first 6 feet infront of the car.

Back
Top Bottom